• 1 Post By Geezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other dog lovers with a CX3

Hi all,

I've recently purchased myself the Mazda CX3 & will be taking delivery in a few weeks time.

I'm now beginning to research the best position in the CX3 for my golden retriever.

I'm aware the boot space is quite tight, but wonder if others have transported their dogs in the hatch area?

Or is getting a dog hammock for the back seat the way to go?

Look forward to hearing any recommendations.

Thanks 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2017, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dog cage for my CX-3

I have a deaf old mutt that goes (almost) everywhere with me and when I got my new CX-3 last month, I knew I had to find a way to transport her without getting scratches and dog hair all over the place. The answer was a dog "transporter", a foldable cage in a variety of sizes - I got a large and it's perfect for my 50 lb Myrtle.
Actually, what happened was I first ordered over the phone from eBay and was mistakenly advised to get the x-large size - way too big! So I sent it back and ordered another before they received the return. Long story short, I've now got two for the price of one if you're interested in picking up a new cage for half price, $35. It's x-large and should easily fit your dog. Regardless, take a look at them on eBay, with one back seat down and the hatch cover removed, the cage fits nicely; it's just a bit of a strain to lift my 50 lb dog up and in. It also folds flat and fits flush under the back floor panel over the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cage.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	17186  
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
I have a 50lb GSD/ACD mix (tall and lean) and just put one of these over the back seat for him.

I imagine that a small to average sized golden could fit in the trunk (I mean, I've seen a large one fit in the back of a Mini), but I prefer to give mine more space and airflow.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have two dogs and just fold the seats down with a blanket to protect the seats.
As for as dog hair goes it's impossible with a Aussie and a Sheltie.
Sarah and TiGrayMSM like this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
My best friend is a medium sized Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd. He is turning eight and getting a bit arthritic, so he needs a ramp to get into the hatch area. I put a pad down on the cargo floor and he is just fine in the back with the seats down as long as I drive at a moderate pace (otherwise he will deposit his breakfast all over the floor). I put a harness on him which is attached with a fitted strap which goes to one of the rear safety belt clasps. The dog has lots of room but if I need some space to put stuff with him aboard I have to chuck it all in the passenger seat. Unfortunately this sometimes sets off the belt warning chime so I also have to attach the passenger seatbelt to its clasp. I prefer this arrangement to letting him travel in the back seat with its nice pristine white leather and black suede. But as far as size is concerned, it may be a bit tight for a bouncy, active, playful Golden Retriever (I know, I have had a few of these loveable and goofy canines over the years).
Sarah likes this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode