Painting side/fender moldings body color? - Mazda CX3 Forum
View Poll Results: Paint Side/ Fender Molding?
Yes? 2 25.00%
No? 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DJ9999
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
cvj
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Painting side/fender moldings body color?

I am wondering if anyone has thought of, or seen the black plastic moldings, painted to match the body color?

And start the poll now....

2017 CX-3 GT AWD, Automatic w/Tech,
Titanium Mica.

H&R | Sport Spring - CX-3 (AWD) 28775-2
Remus Sport Exhaust
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light W/EXO
cvj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
cvj
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have added a poll to this post. I would like to paint them, but I am a little nervous on what the overall look will be. If anyone has done this, can you post a picture or 2?

2017 CX-3 GT AWD, Automatic w/Tech,
Titanium Mica.

H&R | Sport Spring - CX-3 (AWD) 28775-2
Remus Sport Exhaust
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light W/EXO
cvj is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Vipre77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI, USA
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
I personally don't think it would look good at all. I think it would end up looking cheap, despite the actual costs involved in doing it. The plastic has a texture to it that would almost certainly come through in the paint and end up looking like orange peel. To avoid that would involve a lot of prep work to smooth out that texture. Even going to all that trouble, I think it still wouldn't look good.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
Vipre77 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,075
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
I think it would detract from the CUV look.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
anchorman is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
sippffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dee Why Sydney, Australia (pronounced Straya)
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Not Too Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvj View Post
I have added a poll to this post. I would like to paint them, but I am a little nervous on what the overall look will be. If anyone has done this, can you post a picture or 2?
If anyone has bothered to search for Mazda CX3 Body Kit, there is a Company called ETONI, they have a couple of Pics for all to see what the Car would possibly look like with just the Wheel Arch Moulds Painted, in a couple of Images.

Mazda CX-3 Body kit by Silkblaze - Body Kit - Automotive Accessories

Personally I have considered doing this exact same thing to my Car, but Mazda Australia wants quite a lot of Money to buy replacement mouldings then I would have to get them Painted.

I think just doing these would not take away from the Cars great style, and only personalize it further, but that is my opinion.

Darren

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
sippffo is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
mainemanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
The poll's a bit hidden ... for my ancient peepers.

I just voted "no", but I must say, judging from sippffo's link, it looks pretty good to me.

How about trying PhotoShop for alternatine views?

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 05-31-2017 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Clarity
mainemanx is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
greaseman85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Hell no. At least not as it is. That will only look good on this car if it is heavily modified and lowered.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
greaseman85 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Vipre77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI, USA
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippffo View Post
If anyone has bothered to search for Mazda CX3 Body Kit, there is a Company called ETONI, they have a couple of Pics for all to see what the Car would possibly look like with just the Wheel Arch Moulds Painted, in a couple of Images.

Mazda CX-3 Body kit by Silkblaze - Body Kit - Automotive Accessories

Personally I have considered doing this exact same thing to my Car, but Mazda Australia wants quite a lot of Money to buy replacement mouldings then I would have to get them Painted.

I think just doing these would not take away from the Cars great style, and only personalize it further, but that is my opinion.

Darren
Is Plasti-Dip available in Australia or some other equivalent vinyl in a spray form? It wouldn't be a color match, obviously, and maybe wouldn't be a great permanent solution even if it did match color. But it might be good enough as a trial to give you an idea of how it might look in person with no risk other than the cost of the spray material and your time to do it.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
Vipre77 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
sippffo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dee Why Sydney, Australia (pronounced Straya)
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Yes that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Is Plasti-Dip available in Australia or some other equivalent vinyl in a spray form? It wouldn't be a color match, obviously, and maybe wouldn't be a great permanent solution even if it did match color. But it might be good enough as a trial to give you an idea of how it might look in person with no risk other than the cost of the spray material and your time to do it.
had crossed my mind to give it a quick couple of coats with Plasti-Dip, the main reason that I was giving some thought to it was because I have fitted Simmons Alloys in full matte Black, and now sometimes think that all the black against my white car looks a little too much, hence just doing the Guard edge, not anywhere else.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
sippffo is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-02-2017, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I would think your vehicle had been in an accident and the bodyshop was lazy in the repainting process.
greaseman85 likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
DJ9999 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome