User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
DRL off when using turn signals

So im in california for work and was turning into a gas station and then seen police lights. then find out i'm getting a $45 ticket because my DRL in my headlight didn't shut off when my turn signal was activated. i told him thats not my fault and how i purchased the car and he needed to contact Mazda and his response was i should know the laws when purchasing cars. any aftermarket things that shut off the DRL when my turn signal is activated? i have a feeling this wont be the only time ill be running into him. my family lawyer said he will get it thrown out but id rather not deal with him again.

2016 CX-3
San Francisco, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
That does not sound like a law I'm familiar with. I looked up laws regarding DRLs shutting off when turn signals are activated but came to no such law. Did you have an out of state license? California CX3s operate the same as any other one in the country. I have at least 2 Cali cars with DRLs that did not shut off when using turn signals so this seems like a bogus charge.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
That does not sound like a law I'm familiar with. I looked up laws regarding DRLs shutting off when turn signals are activated but came to no such law. Did you have an out of state license? California CX3s operate the same as any other one in the country. I have at least 2 Cali cars with DRLs that did not shut off when using turn signals so this seems like a bogus charge.
yes i have out of state plates and license. my lawyer said this won't go through but still trying to figure out why he did this..

2016 CX-3
San Francisco, CA

post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Federal requirements are listed under FMVSS Standard No. 108

Manufactures are very inconsistent in their adoption. Give the CX3 falls great than 100mm between the lamp assembly's DRL and turn signal, I'm surprised it is an issue in CA. That officer certainly has a lot of free time on their hands.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Well this is my opinion on the matter but its just a cop trying to make their citation quota by citing BS claims and target out of towners. A cop friend of mine here in Madison mentions to me how he see's his coworkers do the same by targeting out of state university students with BS tickets to make their quota and get bonuses. Rule of thumb is if your stock vehicle is subject to such a claim I call shenanigans!

Certified Mazda Technician
post #6 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I must admit, it does surprise me that they don't dim down but I'm sure they will meet all local laws and regulations. Mazda will know what is necessary.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If someone from Canada can also chime in with my response to this but i'm pretty sure most Audi's and GM vehicles do this (at least in Ontario Canada). Shocking you got a fine for that.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 04:52 PM
JPA

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by db0mbase View Post
i'm pretty sure most Audi's and GM vehicles do this (at least in Ontario Canada).
I'm pretty sure that on those cars the indicator is located in the headlight unit.
CX-3 has indicators lower on the bumper. Therefore indicator is more visible even though dlr doesn't dim or switch off.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode