Petrol or diesel - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Petrol or diesel

So, I went to the dealer to check the Mazda CX-3. I was looking at the sport trim. The only concern left is whether I should go for the petrol or diesel engine. This would be daily driven and currently I make around 300-400 km weekly.

Anyone can share their feedback? The price on the petrol is really worth it, however want to make sure that it's still worth it in the long run driving approx 300km weekly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Justin , where are you from ? Im from Malta and Im waiting my 2017 cx3 top of the range soul Red to arrive . I ve ordered the 2.0 petrol , the diesel is more economical but you have to pay much more money and the petrol is more reliable such as Dpf , dual mass flywheel , turbo problems ( all modern diesel engine ) also the petrol is much quieter an smoother .
post #3 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
99% people never drove diesel, modern diesel. If you ask any diesel owner they would all say diesel. They are smooth, strong, not noisy, without vibrations, and they pull like train, like anchorman once said. I rearly go more then 2000 rpms because you have power from 1200. When you go uphill you can drive in fourth or fifth on 1500-1800 rpms and still have the power for accelerations. I dont have anything against petrol, by i think if you can drive diesel same as petrol, sport mode, etc with 5 l/100 km.

1.5 FWD with mods to follow...

post #4 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
It depends on what you want to do. Do you want better fuel economy? Go with diesel. Do you want better overall performance? Go with petrol.

Of course, a car manufacturer can tune a diesel engine for performance as well, but generally they're tuned for fuel economy. While the diesel engine will have excellent torque at low RPMs and speeds, since that gets you great fuel economy, it tends to have terrible acceleration at highway speeds.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #5 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Garage
Greaseman, im telling for our mazda, while you have 45 hp more then diesel at highway while you are in fifth or sixth at 1500-2000 rpms you dont have to change to lower gear to overtake, the car just goes from 100km/h. For racing petrol is better, but for daily use even for daily fast and sporty use diesel performs the same. I wish you can test it to see what i am talking about. One more time, the petrol is great and for sure faster, but diesel feels as strong as petrol and in some cases even stronger with torque that it has.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
I agree diesel is stronger, it generates a lot more torque at lower RPMs. But its a well known fact that many diesel cars, including Mazda, suffer a huge drop in acceleration as engine speed increases, because that's just the way diesel behaves (it burns slowly). For example, the 2 liter petrol does 0-60mph in 8.5 seconds. The diesel version that has way more torque does 0-60 in 11.9 seconds. Huge difference on paper. I'm not sure how this translates to real world driving, so I'll have to look into that.

I really wish Mazda would offer the diesel here in US, so I could test them. They might bring the 2.2 liter diesel CX-5 later this year, it would be nice to test that versus the 2.5 liter petrol. It has 310 lb-ft of torque while the petrol has 185!

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Garage
If you dont need race car then buy a diesel, and if you need race car duy a diesel and make remmap!

As said before, europe model 150 hp awd at is 9.6 sec car, and diesel 105 hp 2wd mt is 10.1 sec car. So no much of a difference.
If people want sport car then go petrol, and if you want fast car then go diesel!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	16689  

Tags
diesel , engine , petrol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode