CX-3: Car or SUV....(in the eyes of the law) - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
CX-3: Car or SUV....(in the eyes of the law)

Hey folks!

I'm hoping to become a CX-3 owner in the near future, so I've been doing a lot of research, and lurking around here for a while.

Being the tinkerer that I am, I've started thinking of the things that I want to do to the CX-3 once I find the right one. One of those things, is tinted windows. I'm having a hard time finding US models with factory tinted rear windows- which is fine. But here in PA, cars cannot have more than 70% VLT on windows, which is pretty much factory. However, SUV's can have windows as dark as they want on the rear windows.

Which brings up my subject- in the eyes of the law, is this vehicle a car or SUV? I know that when you go to most websites, they call it a subcompact SUV.

I'm just imagining a situation where I get stopped for my windows being too dark. I know that the front windows are a no-no. No getting around that. I'd have to take the film off of those. But the rear windows....what if the officer determines that I have a car and not an SUV?

Just curious what you guys/gals think about that. Has anybody been in a similar situation?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Hey Joey, perhaps you could help us help you on this question. We would need to know where you are. The laws regarding degree of tint on side and rear windows are subject to laws in almost every jurisdiction. One country's rules is hardly ever the same as another's laws. You can input the necessary information in the "User CP" area that you can see on the top right corner of the forum software.
DJ9999 likes this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
In the US its labeled as a sub compact crossover SUV. Because of its sub compact status, I don't believe it is allowed to come with factory tinted rear passenger and rear window tinting likes its bigger brother, the CX5.

It's highly unlikely that a US police officer will cite any CX3 owner for having tinted rear passenger and rear windows. Its usually over tinting of the front passenger windows that are an issue regardless of vehicle class.

When I go through US border agents or the 2 times I've been pulled over in my life, I lower the rear side window so the border agent or police officer has visibility into the rear without having to ask.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!

post #4 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I have my CX-3 registered in Indiana and it is classified as a 4wd SUV. I would think it is the same in other states.

Edit:
I just typed my VIN into AutoCheck, and it comes up as 4D SUV.

Last edited by TiGrayMSM; 03-02-2017 at 03:30 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Hey Joey, perhaps you could help us help you on this question. We would need to know where you are. The laws regarding degree of tint on side and rear windows are subject to laws in almost every jurisdiction. One country's rules is hardly ever the same as another's laws. You can input the necessary information in the "User CP" area that you can see on the top right corner of the forum software.
Sure thing! Haven't gotten around to customizing my profile quite yet. But I live in Pennsylvania....in the United States. Thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGrayMSM View Post
I have my CX-3 registered in Indiana and it is classified as a 4wd SUV. I would think it is the same in other states.

Edit:
Good to know! Thank you!
post #7 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGrayMSM View Post

Edit:
Thanks! This helps!
post #8 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Where in Pennsylvania are you, Joey? I lived in South Philly (where there were quite a few Crosstreks, but only one other CX-3) until a few weeks ago. We now live in Fishtown (where there are many, many Crosstreks and I am the only CX-3 so far).

Welcome to
a) your awesome new car
and
b) this awesome message board.

2017 CX-3 Touring (Soul Red)
Hobby1: Begging Mazda to make CX-3 w/ manual transmission in USA.
Hobby2: Accepting failure.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Where in Pennsylvania are you, Joey? I lived in South Philly (where there were quite a few Crosstreks, but only one other CX-3) until a few weeks ago. We now live in Fishtown (where there are many, many Crosstreks and I am the only CX-3 so far).

Welcome to
a) your awesome new car
and
b) this awesome message board.
Thanks!

I haven't bought anything yet..... but hopefully by late Spring. I'm the kind of person that has to do an obscene amount of research before making a purchase. Luckily, every single review I find of the CX-3 comes back glowing.

I actually work/live in State College, but spend a lot of time back "home" (where my parents and fiance live) in Oil City. It's about an hour south of Erie and two hours north of Pittsburgh.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd71 View Post
Thanks!

I haven't bought anything yet..... but hopefully by late Spring. I'm the kind of person that has to do an obscene amount of research before making a purchase. Luckily, every single review I find of the CX-3 comes back glowing.

I actually work/live in State College, but spend a lot of time back "home" (where my parents and fiance live) in Oil City. It's about an hour south of Erie and two hours north of Pittsburgh.
I wholeheartedly get the research thing. I was on this board, pestering Anchorman and others for ten-and-a-half months before I finally purchased my 2017 CX-3 Touring in red, this past October. They did a good job of convincing me that I could handle the automatic transmission because the car was pretty fun. So far, so good. I do miss stick, but not like I thought I would.

The reviews are pretty amazing, aren't they? Every other car I considered was a DISTANT second.
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2017 CX-3 Touring (Soul Red)
Hobby1: Begging Mazda to make CX-3 w/ manual transmission in USA.
Hobby2: Accepting failure.

Tags
car , police , suv , tint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode