• 2 Post By Geezer
  • 2 Post By greaseman85

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Skyactiv 2 Engine in 2018 CX-3?

There are several outlets speculating the 2018 Mazda3 is getting the new Skyactiv 2 HCCI engine. What is the likelihood this makes its way into next year's CX-3?

Also, the 2017 CX-3 was released in July 2016. Will Mazda follow the same release schedule for 2018 models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

The CX-3 is very young and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't follow Mazda's evolution in powertrains.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 5 Old 02-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
There are several outlets speculating the 2018 Mazda3 is getting the new Skyactiv 2 HCCI engine. What is the likelihood this makes its way into next year's CX-3?

Also, the 2017 CX-3 was released in July 2016. Will Mazda follow the same release schedule for 2018 models?
Careful what you wish for! That HCCI engine is not even yet ready for public consumption. I would really be a bit nervous about reliability issues for the first few years of production on that little gem.
anchorman and st3v3cx-3 like this.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
True, you never want to be the guinea pig especially if it involves high compression. If I had to buy today, I'd have no problem with a 2017 CX-3 Touring. But it seems there's a lot of newness ahead. Assuming Mazda releases their 2018s in July, there could be Skyactiv 2 or maybe they finally decide to offer the CX-3 with a 6MT in the US. I've never owned an AT in 20 years of driving so this has been a point of contemplation for me. By that time the C-HR will also be available, which I really like, but the US is only getting the CVT.

With 2018 being the third model year of the CX-3, would it be in line for a mid-cycle refresh?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
I know many people are loving that Mazda keeps trying to create and invent new engines and such things, but I personally am annoyed they're wasting time and resources on something that will more than likely NOT become mainstream and appeal to a niche audience, rather than try to refine their godawful infotainment system that is 4 years behind every other car manufacturer. It also wouldn't hurt to spend that time and resource to refine their driving aid tech, like their half-assed adaptive cruise control. Or how about make your current engines more powerful, and give us more options?
TiGrayMSM and st3v3cx-3 like this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode