• 1 Post By remorej
  • 1 Post By farmer695

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
CX-3 rocked in the snow

We got dumped on this morning in Toronto (still snowing as of this post) and I had to get up this morning to go get gas in the car at Costco (I go in the morning as I am in no mood to wait in line for fuel if I go later in the morning or aftn. lineups at Costco for fuel is a total zoo during the day and evng).

Anyways, this was pretty well the first time I was able to drive the car in the snow and it was pretty neat. My Michelin Xi3's had excellent grip in the white stuff but I was able to kick the tail end out around turns if I feed in a little excess power (sending some torque to the rear wheels).

I played around in an empty parking lot after getting gas then went for a drive on the highway (not plowed) still able to do about 90/100 kms/hr with full control at all times.

I'm sure my Suzuki SX4 would do the same thing but the snows on that car are a few years old and I do notice that car being a little dicey now in the white stuff, with new tires it should be just like the CX.

From a dead stop the Mazda just takes off barely any wheel spin at all (next time I will try it with the TCS off).

I am impressed.

Tony
LeeBeckstar, kobelco and rudolf-99 like this.

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The only thing that will stop that little car when equipped with winter tires is beaching it in snow that is simply too deep.
rudolf-99 likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I would have to try that sometime. I wonder if Mazda would've given us the option of locking the diff up to have 50/50 torque split like the SX4 has.............(Suzuki unlocks the diff after hitting 60km/h).

The SX4 jumps pretty aggressively if I try that on dry pavement after locking the diff...............I nickname it the little GTR.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
The intelligent AWD system is fantastic. Even on rain-slicked, leaf-coated hills, this lil thing just goes.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
I would have to try that sometime. I wonder if Mazda would've given us the option of locking the diff up to have 50/50 torque split like the SX4 has.............(Suzuki unlocks the diff after hitting 60km/h).

The SX4 jumps pretty aggressively if I try that on dry pavement after locking the diff...............I nickname it the little GTR.
THe system is completely automatic and will fully lock up the drive clutch on your behalf. The only improvement you might make if you get stuck is to try disabling the traction control. I stress that it is better on if you are making progress.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #6 of 8 Old 02-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I did that once with my Forester. There was a huge snow drift up ahead and I thought (like an idiot), "if I drive hard right into it this car will blast its way through easily." Wrong! I ended up on the top of the drift with my wheels spinning and going nowhere.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I agree 100%. We were dumped a ton of snow during Boxing Day! But this little beast was able to easily plow through it. Many people avoided the road that day. Positive because the roads were empty and I was able to shop :P
anchorman likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Adjustable suspension option?

already have 40K miles on this CX 3 , great vehicle thus far. living in Maine

Was getting 32mpg until I put the winter snow tires and roof rack on it. now getting 28mg. Unfortunate, but that is part of the downside of mushy snows and that rack.

Changing the tires to exclusive snows really changed the ride for the worse; care needs to be taken when braking and hwy driving. I will put the standard tires on in the spring. However, what an unstoppable vehicle in the Snow! My only regret is that i run into instances when more ground clearance would be helpful. It would be nice if mazda offered an adjustable suspension; one that drops a little lower for hwy and higher for snow and dirt roads.

all in all this car is a great value in the sport trim model
remorej likes this.

Last edited by farmer695; 02-28-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: location

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode