Can I get I-ACTIVSENSE installed in my 2017 CX-3 Touring? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I get I-ACTIVSENSE installed in my 2017 CX-3 Touring?

It hasn't been a month yet since I bought the car and I am really beating myself up about not going for the GT trim. But my local dealer said if I wanted the extra features the GT came with, I can get it installed into my Touring model, such as the I-ACTIVSENSE features. Is this true? I thought it was something that came directly manufactured. Because if it can be installed, then I'm willing to spend another $1000 for it since it beats buying another car just for those features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Was it the dealer who quoted you the $1000, or are you just guessing that that is what it would cost to retrofit your Touring? Reason I'm asking is because factory-equipped features usually are most cost-effective. Retrofitting (especially sensitive electronic devices) figures to be labor-intensive which shoots up the cost. If the dealer really was speaking factually (which I must admit I doubt) then it may be worth investigating further. However I suspect whoever told you it was possible was talking out of their you-know-what. I have to figure just the parts alone for the i-Activsense would be well over $1000, then add in the labor costs (again assuming such alterations could be done and a dealer would want to do them). If you want the GT features, you just may be better off speaking to the dealer again about trading yours in and moving up to a GT. Might actually cost you less money than a retrofit. I learned this myself a number of years ago when I bought a new Honda Pilot LX, when I really wanted the EX. Thought I was saving a few $$$$$. Instead I spent the next 3 years trying to make my LX into an EX.

Lesson: get what you really want.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)

Last edited by skyking; 12-27-2016 at 05:08 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He said he doesn't know the exact costs but he said it shouldn't more than $1500 to $2000. I would gladly trade in for a GT but I'll end up losing anywhere around $6K for the Touring plus the difference I would have to pay for the GT. Unfortunately, GT isn't available in any of my local dealerships. That's why I wanted to install I-ACTIVSENSE in my Touring since that's the only feature from the GT I want. I was just asking is that even possible because a quick Google search doesn't yield any sort of info about such a thing.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I very seriously doubt that they could retrofit a full Iactive sense package for that kind of money and in any case, they will have to tear the interior to bits which is never good unless you get a really top notch mechanic allocated to the job.

I think the upgrade in model makes much more sense plus you get the very latest production run modifications to the rest of the car.
mainemanx likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #5 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
I would suggest buying one of the dash cams that has lane watch, front proximity warning, etc.

And then, in several years, buy the latest-and-greatest tech that wil surely be available ... on the CX-3.5.

Again, I rationalized the GT with the 2016 to 2017 $800 drop in the i-ActiveSense price.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 12-27-2016 at 07:19 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Have you actually tried out a CX-3 with the activesense package? Mazda's implementation of adaptive cruise and automatic breaking and lane departure warning are half assed in my opinion. I wouldn't beat myself over not having it.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #7 of 16 Old 12-27-2016, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
Have you actually tried out a CX-3 with the activesense package? Mazda's implementation of adaptive cruise and automatic breaking and lane departure warning are half assed in my opinion. I wouldn't beat myself over not having it.
Interesting observation. From the past three-plus months of CX-3 ownership, I have come to really like the MRCC, and use it often. However I state this with very little experience with it in other vehicles (Acura mainly), so I can see other manufacturer's utilizing an improved design. For my usage however, it works pretty well. Regarding the automatic brake application feature (SCBS/SBS), I have no idea how to determine how well it would work when needed (and I hope I never have to find out if it's a good design or not). The LDWS can, I admit, be annoying, and I find myself playing with the various settings to reduce the "irritation" factor. However at least it does not vibrate the seat, which I find infuriating. The CX-9 I drove had, I believe, the lane keeping assist feature (at least it felt like it). Don't know if I'd ever get used to that. I find the BSM more annoying than anything because of the "beep" notification.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #8 of 16 Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm curious what models you're comparing Mazda's capability to. Being newer tech, I've not driven many others, let alone had the scenario use autonomous braking (thankfully) on others that iv'e driven. Mazda's features work as I expect them and its pretty cool they offer them on the CX3 as most of its class does not.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-28-2016, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
I've said before that in my opinion, the lane departure warning playing a rumbling sound through the speakers is pretty useless. It should vibrate the seat or steering wheel, so the driver FEELS it. As for the adaptive cruise, it only works over a certain range, it is not full range like in other cars, so it's half assed.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #10 of 16 Old 12-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
I've said before that in my opinion, the lane departure warning playing a rumbling sound through the speakers is pretty useless. It should vibrate the seat or steering wheel, so the driver FEELS it. As for the adaptive cruise, it only works over a certain range, it is not full range like in other cars, so it's half assed.
Lane departure is far too sensitive for me ... I turned it off the first day.

However, I find the adaptive cruise control to be quite useful. You set the interval you want maintained ... get too close and your car slows down ... car ahead speeds up, pulls over, or you switch to an open lane ... the interval increases ... your car speeds up.

Only issue might be that it gets a little aggressive on the "speed up." The ability to adjust the "recovery rate" would make for a smoother ride.

P.S. According to the Owner's Manual, " ... between 30 km/h (19 mph) and 145 km/h (90mph), the driver is freed from having to constantly use the accelerator or brake pedals."

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 12-28-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode