User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Aftermarket starter?

Does anyone know where I can get a remote starter and how to install it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anywhere that does tinted windows or car alarms. Should be easy to find. Just Google it for your area. Just be careful because my dealership told me that depending on who does it...if ANYTHING goes wrong with your car and they attribute it to that...it will void your warranty. I'm sure part of it is a way of getting us to only go through the dealership which is WAY more money. I just thought I'd warn you. It happened to my friend and he had the hardest time getting them to fix something under warranty due to adding an aftermarket remote starter.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Strictly speaking, they can't void the warranty on the entire car. They can only void the warranty on the affected parts.

So, if something goes wrong, Mazda can probably deny a warranty claim on the engine start system but would still have to honor it for a blown strut.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
Strictly speaking, they can't void the warranty on the entire car. They can only void the warranty on the affected parts.

So, if something goes wrong, Mazda can probably deny a warranty claim on the engine start system but would still have to honor it for a blown strut.
I doubt even that ...

The burden would be on the manufacturer to show that the installation and/or the device itself actually caused the problem with which one is having an issue.

Not to mention that many dealers subcontract to 3rd party installers.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 12-20-2016 at 10:00 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
I doubt even that ...

The burden would be on the manufacturer to show that the installation and/or the device itself actually caused the problem with which one is having an issue.

Not to mention that many dealers subcontract to 3rd party installers.
All I know is I called the dealership where I went and asked about 3rd party installers that they use or approve of and was told they will not guarantee any work that they don't do and anything that goes wrong with the car that is related to the starter can cause them to deny a claim made under the warranty. So please excuse me for misspeaking. That being said...I trust my friend who told me his GF's claim was denied for this reason.

So sure, you can go somewhere else but there is a small risk.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Ask snoogie what to get ... after you tell him where you're located

post #7 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Googled _2016 mazda "cx 3" remote start_

Fortin lists a CX-3 application ... but you may have to be Canadian to figure it out

Carid.com lists systems ranging from $25 to $700.

If you're in the States, maybe try Best Buy. They're large enough they should stand behind anything they sell and install.

post #8 of 12 Old 12-22-2016, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
As mentioned by NotAPreppie, as long the remote start did not affect another component(s) to fail it will still be warrantied for example, if you have a remote start installed professionally or by yourself and suddenly your radio goes out, as long as the wiring is not interfering with the radio, the radio is warrantied. Now if you have for example an oil catch can installed and you neglect to drain, install incorrectly, or causes the engine to break due to a faulty or incorrectly installed oil catch can then no, the engine will not be warrantied. That is the cut and dry of it. Now because many things are hard to prove what may cause the issue, the repair will be reviewed on a case by case basis by a Mazda district rep who will themselves or send someone to inspect the installation of an aftermarket component and determine if it did affect the affected system with "concrete" evidence.

A real case of this is we have a 2011 speed3 that was purchased by a customer from another dealer that has installed from the previous owner a bunch of aftermarket components (catch can, custom catback exhaust, cobb tuning chip, and a butt tonne of wires for gauge pods) which not is throwing a check engine light with various codes all pointed to being affected by the aftermarket components, ie. misfires, o2 sensor readings, oil consumption, low battery voltage, and so on. Safe to say that due to those aftermarket components that the engine will not be warrantied. This is of course is one extreme case.

Safe side get a remote start system installed by a reputable business who will stand behind their install in the event of a failure. Our remote start systems are installed in house by technicians and have a lifetime/or sometime of warranty on them (can't remember).
mainemanx likes this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Thanks everyone. All I want is a basic on/off system. I am down to get it installed at Bestbuy, but a separate mechanic might be cheaper.
I kinda doubt that a mazda tech would want to be on the customer's side. They would probably just say that the mechanic broke whatever you want to get fixed.. Do you know any businesses off hand which are in the $100 range?

I know the Mazda dealer was trying to get me to buy the mazda mobile thing but with the yearly fee I was like WTF (it seemed like a money making gimmick) so I didn't bite.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwares View Post
Thanks everyone. All I want is a basic on/off system. I am down to get it installed at Bestbuy, but a separate mechanic might be cheaper.
I kinda doubt that a mazda tech would want to be on the customer's side. They would probably just say that the mechanic broke whatever you want to get fixed.. Do you know any businesses off hand which are in the $100 range?

I know the Mazda dealer was trying to get me to buy the mazda mobile thing but with the yearly fee I was like WTF (it seemed like a money making gimmick) so I didn't bite.
Mazda's website was showing the mobile add on for $480. I called my local dealership this week and was told the regular remote starter is like $450 but the mobile is $600. No thank you. Good luck with your search.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode