CX 3 Tonneau Cargo Board side Pins (2 on each sde) - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-18-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
CX 3 Tonneau Cargo Board side Pins (2 on each sde)

Has anyone experience with any of the side pins that hold in place the CX 3 Tonneau Cargo Board breaking off ? I take my cover board off quite often because of the height of the loads I'm carrying. I guess after so many times I have taken it off the pin on the right is tearing and ready to fall off. I took it to the dealer and they have to replace the whole side panel because its all one piece, no cost to me because I'm under warranty. I'm just curious if anyone else has experience this.... Sometimes it's so hard to take the board off from those pins on the side that holds it....

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT Dynamic Blue Mica.Black Leather Interior

Last edited by Robert Lis; 10-19-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-19-2016, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I took mine out the second day I had the car. I will frequently be carrying two sets of golf clubs (with back seats folded of course) and the cover will just be in the way. I was surprised at the amount of force it took to unlock the board from the pins. I was concerned about breaking one or both. I can see where installing and removing the board frequently could weaken the pins. Not surprised you broke one. I won't be putting mine back in.

2017 Ceramic Metallic GT/Black Leather, Bells & Whistles
post #3 of 15 Old 10-19-2016, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I would imagine that the only purpose for the cover is to guard against prying eyes seeing what you stashed back there. The only other reason would be an acoustic baffle for the Bose subwoofer sitting on the spare tire rim. It is already baffled by several covers over the spare tire plus whatever else one has put in the hatch.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
We took ours out as well and put it away in storage. We need the extra height without it and our rear window is tinted so can't see much back there anyway...

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #5 of 15 Old 10-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
No less than three panels between your ears and the sub-woofer ...

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Two more things occurred to me. First, It helps keep the air in the hatch separate from the car. If you have some items in the hatch that you want to keep cool but the air in the car is being heated, a cover may be of some help. The other thing is that that little hollowed area in the cover is probably meant to be used as a place to put stuff (such as hats and gloves and other small stuff) that you don't immediately need while driving but can keep handy to grab when you exit the car.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lis View Post
Has anyone experience with any of the side pins that hold in place the CX 3 Tonneau Cargo Board breaking off ? I take my cover board off quite often because of the height of the loads I'm carrying. I guess after so many times I have taken it off the pin on the right is tearing and ready to fall off. I took it to the dealer and they have to replace the whole side panel because its all one piece, no cost to me because I'm under warranty. I'm just curious if anyone else has experience this.... Sometimes it's so hard to take the board off from those pins on the side that holds it....
On the few times I've removed mine I'd noted that it was very hard to remove. Your post prompted to take a closer look.

It looked to me that the more force applied to pull the U-shaped clips away from the pins only served to "tighten" their grip. So, I fixed the problem.

I removed the panel and with a "rat tail" file (round to the rest of you) of 3/8" diameter
I opened the hole in the U-shaped clips. When looking at these clips you'll notice that there is a raised section that the pins have to "ride over" ---file these down (but, only a little). To aid the clips to slide more easily over the pins I applied a little dry lubricant. Removal now only requires minimal effort.

Don't go mad with the file as you only want to loosen the clips not for them to literally fall out.

You only have the right of way if the other driver gives it to you
post #8 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

That's what the dealer told me they would not do it but they did say to apply some Lithium Grease around the Pin and Clip also..... Thanks Levi3xt ....

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT Dynamic Blue Mica.Black Leather Interior
post #9 of 15 Old 10-23-2016, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lis View Post
That's what the dealer told me they would not do it but they did say to apply some Lithium Grease around the Pin and Clip also..... Thanks Levi3xt ....
Robert, I did apply lubricant on the pins first to see if that would fix the problem, while it helped a little it didn't fix it enough for me. That's when the file came into action. While I did say I used a round file, a flat file would suffice to knock down those raised sections previously mentioned. I'll stress again....only file a "small" amount off those clips.......and add lubricant.

You only have the right of way if the other driver gives it to you
post #10 of 15 Old 10-23-2016, 02:48 AM

Makes a lot of sense. Tomorrow mine get adjusted.