Looks Aside, The CX-3 is a Massive Disappointment (Went w/ an Impreza Hatchback) - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

64Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks Aside, The CX-3 is a Massive Disappointment (Went w/ an Impreza Hatchback)

Hi, all. Back before this car was released, or even revealed, I had already deemed it as my next car purchase. How could I go wrong with a sweet handling, fuel efficient, AWD, subcompact "crossover" w/ Mazda's home run Kodo styling? As it turns out, plenty. I don't want to bore you all with lengthy paragraphs, so I'll jump right into bullets!

Negatives (Huge Ones That Can't Be Overcome)
  • Pathetic, almost useless cargo space (my Mazda 2 seemed to have a roomier and deeper cargo area)
  • Pathetic rear seat passanger space (again, my Mazda 2 seemed to be roomier)
  • Low ground clearance (sorry, but if you're gonna be a faux crossover, throw some damn increased ground clearance... the CX-5 has 8.9 inches of ground clearance and didn't sacrifice fun)
  • Tight cabin (feels very tight, tighter than my Mazda 2)
  • OK fuel economy (HR-V gets similar while being gobs roomier w/ actual functionality)

Positives
  • Looks GREAT and the CERAMIC METALLIC is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS (hoping for it to show up on the next gen CX-5 or larger next gen CX-3)
  • Fun to drive!

I considered the HR-V, Renegade (awesome looks, but don't trust Chrysler reliability AT ALL), and Ford Escape (they were offering 5K off MSRP). I ended up going w/ a 2016 Impreza hatcback w/ CVT. It's a LOT roomier, more fuel efficient (rated 37 highway and I was able to achieve 47 mpg on a road trip from central MA to Syracuse NY to Boston). Subaru's AWD is legendary and I can really feel the difference on wet roads. The Impreza is dorky looking, but in an endearing way.

Anyways, I had REALLY HIGH HOPES for the CX-3, but I think Mazda really dropped the ball. Initially, I was really disappointed by the weird window lines (made the car look bulbous), but I've come to really like the look. No, I'm not a hater! My previous car was a 2013 Mazda 2 in Clearwater Blue that I LOVED, but ultimately needed something bigger and with AWD.

Last edited by Radiohead; 08-31-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Its been well noted that most of us didn't buy the CX-3 for its cargo capacity and rear seat volume. Good luck with your Imprezza.
greaseman85, ghmpm, bjn and 2 others like this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I can't knock the cargo space and if I wanted something bigger I could have gotten it.The cx3 is perfect for my needs,great looking,good handling enough power and fun to drive.
I didn't even know all the features when I bought like the blindside monitoring heated seats and a couple other things.
I do like Subarus as they would have been my second choice.

Last edited by Playthru1; 08-31-2016 at 02:27 AM.

post #4 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Enjoy the impreza

I don't see the point of a bigger CX-3 when Mazda already offer a line up of the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 and with the looming CX-4.

The dropping the ball comment is unfair. There are plenty of cars that have the features you describe as the CX-3's negatives. They have very successfully differentiated themselves from the subcompact market.

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT
post #5 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
This is all subjective anyway. You have reasons to buy the Subaru while others (my wife included) prefers the CX-3. We did not buy the CX to be able to haul 2 kayaks and a 36 foot Airstream. But we did in fact take a 5000 mile trip in the little beast with our two dogs and all our gear so space was not a problem, for us anyway... Our fuel economy just keeps getting better the more miles we put on it!!! Getting 34+ MPG with auto and AWD. No complaints here. Good luck with the Subaru!
greaseman85, Sarah, bjn and 1 others like this.

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ
post #6 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
You said it in your last sentence: You needed something bigger than a Mazda 2. The CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2 so it's no surprise that it didn't meet with your size requirement. If you wanted something bigger, why didn't you look at the CX-5 (which is based on the Mazda 3 which is the direct competitor with the Impreza)?

I would take the time to deconstruct your points individually but I think I'm finally getting to the age where I just don't care any more. I'm more interested in why you felt the need to come here and announce this. You have 5 whole posts here, including this one so it's not like you've really bonded with the community. Honestly, it's something I'd expect of a troll except is far more subtle than what the average troll is capable of.

Anyway, enjoy your agricultural equipment.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
You said it in your last sentence: You needed something bigger than a Mazda 2. The CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2 so it's no surprise that it didn't meet with your size requirement. If you wanted something bigger, why didn't you look at the CX-5 (which is based on the Mazda 3 which is the direct competitor with the Impreza)?

I would take the time to deconstruct your points individually but I think I'm finally getting to the age where I just don't care any more. I'm more interested in why you felt the need to come here and announce this. You have 5 whole posts here, including this one so it's not like you've really bonded with the community. Honestly, it's something I'd expect of a troll except is far more subtle than what the average troll is capable of.

Anyway, enjoy your agricultural equipment.
I came back because I am a Mazda fan. The next CX-5 is going to be GORGEOUS. It's looking like it's gonna be a shrunken version of the CX-9. Will look to trade my Impreza in in 4 years or so. The Mazda 2 was 155" long. The CX-3 is 168" long, yet feels smaller and more cramped than the 2. Where did the space go?

I'm disappointed is all because I was very much looking forward to buying one.
greaseman85 likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
I came back because I am a Mazda fan. The next CX-5 is going to be GORGEOUS. It's looking like it's gonna be a shrunken version of the CX-9. Will look to trade my Impreza in in 4 years or so. The Mazda 2 was 155" long. The CX-3 is 168" long, yet feels smaller and more cramped than the 2. Where did the space go?

I'm disappointed is all because I was very much looking forward to buying one.
I often read reports on forthcoming cars but I would consider it stupid not to go and look at one before buying it. My CX-3 proved too small for me but only due to a change of circumstance, nobody forced or tricked me into buying one and I enjoyed it.

When they share a floorpan across models, it has no reflection on the finished dimensions. They only get 2 seats in a MX-5 but it's longer than a 2.
Cyclone1410, bjn and st3v3cx-3 like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #9 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Sometimes I wish I had waited for the HR-V, but then I remember the pathetic CVT Transmission and the rolling ride
And anyhow, I'm not going to sit in the back and travel light
Cyclone1410 and st3v3cx-3 like this.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Its probably just me but I cant get into CVTs at all which is pretty much what subaru puts in their cars/crossover+ nowadays. Coming from a nightmare of cvt issues in multiple nissan cars in the family, that was one of the huge deciding factors for me anyways. (I was specifically looking for an automatic as opposed to manual this time around)
st3v3cx-3 likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode