New CX3 Owner - Transmission Shudder? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
New CX3 Owner - Transmission Shudder?

Hi all! I'm excited to join the CX-3 family! After watching and waiting for many months I finally picked up my Soul Red sTouring 1.5 Diesel AWD on Wednesday! The car was a dealer demonstrator with 1000k's on it. With the EOFY the price and without the 3 month order delay I was willing to settle.

As the vehicle is essentially used, I'm just trying to assess everything is normal and as it should be. The only area of concern for me is the transmission, coming from only ever driving a manual car I'm not sure what to expect and what should cause alarm. There are two things:

When I shift from Park into Reverse, the car shudders quite significantly. The body shakes and you can feel the gear engage quite solidly. Does any body else experience this with their CX-3? Is this a typical trait of auto boxes?

Also when I'm slowing to a stop for lights or an intersection, if I slow gradually, right before the car comes to a complete stop (I'd say at 2-3km/h) the car seems to lurch forward ever so slightly - similar to the feeling when you slow in a high gear in the manual and it brings the engine to the point right before it would stall and it lurches. Happens every time, it's not hugely significant but definitely noticeable. Is that just a trait of the transmission?

Thanks for any advice you more seasoned owners might have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2016, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
These things sound like normal behavior for this transmission, so nothing to worry about once you get used to it. This transmission will do rev matching when downshifting, so you might sometimes notice a feeling like a slight throttle blip when it downshifts. I usually notice this more when running in Sport mode where it more happily downshifts to keep revs in the mid-to-high range (somewhere above about 3K rpm). I'm not positive, but I think this engine has variable valve timing like previous engines Mazda's been building. It sure feels like it. There is a noticeable power surge somewhere between 3-5K rpm and it can feel a bit like a turbo does when it starts boosting. Sport mode, when engaged, will try to keep the engine in that power band for peak performance so you get acceleration instantly when you hit the gas without needing to wait for a downshift.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I've not noticed any of those behaviors. Mine is a gas model so not sure if it acts differently than a diesel model. My auto trans is so unobtrusive that it warrants zero notice. It just does what its supposed to without any shudders etc that call attention to itself. You should drive another like model to see if it responds the same.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Shifting from Park into Reverse, for example, can create a clunk that you can sometimes feel. Often this happens if you park on a slight incline, by stopping with foot on the brake, changing gear to Park, and then releasing the brake. The car often will roll back or forward a bit, depending on the incline. This puts a little torque on the drivetrain and when you later take it out of Park and into Reverse or Drive, it will release that tension in the drivetrain and create the clunk noise and the engine RPMs will usually drop a little. Every automatic transmission I've ever had does this.

At 2-3 km/h (that's less than 2 MPH for us Yanks) you're probably just feeling the engine pulling the car along at idle. I've never had a diesel, but those torquey little engines may be less subtle about this than the petrol engines. If you've only ever driven manual transmissions before, it can be a strange feeling.

His: 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey Metallic
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport, FWD, Reflex Blue
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I had a CX-3 diesel and I've now got a CX-5 diesel with the identical Skyactive transmission. If I'm brutally honest, they are both as smooth as silk and never judder. I'm wary of the fact that some owners have reported issues with transmissions so I tend to be dead careful and never risk anything that might stress it, for instance, I always make sure the car is at a dead stand before shifting from forward to reverse. The other consideration is that the CX-3 is brand new and we don't have a feel for many service issues. There might be an engine or transmission mounting that is causing your problem. I would take it back to the dealer.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks all for your reply. I've narrowed it down to just the one issue of the shudder when slowing to a stop.

After playing around with it some more I think I've established what's going on. When I decelerate the car downshifts to 3rd at about 40km/h and holds this gear all the way down until I'm at 2-3km/h. At the very last second it then appears to jump down 2, then 1 simultaneously and I believe that's the shudder I'm feeling as I come to a stop. I believe the gearing pattern is pretty standard, holding the high gear until stopped, but it isn't executed smoothly hence my reason for concern.

I'm going to give the dealer a call tomorrow and hear their thoughts on it. It's a minor issue on what is a great car all round but is bugging me coming from the seamless smooth ride of a manual

I'll post an update here with the outcome
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwallace View Post
Thanks all for your reply. I've narrowed it down to just the one issue of the shudder when slowing to a stop.

After playing around with it some more I think I've established what's going on. When I decelerate the car downshifts to 3rd at about 40km/h and holds this gear all the way down until I'm at 2-3km/h. At the very last second it then appears to jump down 2, then 1 simultaneously and I believe that's the shudder I'm feeling as I come to a stop. I believe the gearing pattern is pretty standard, holding the high gear until stopped, but it isn't executed smoothly hence my reason for concern.

I'm going to give the dealer a call tomorrow and hear their thoughts on it. It's a minor issue on what is a great car all round but is bugging me coming from the seamless smooth ride of a manual

I'll post an update here with the outcome
Jynx . I've felt the same thing on a couple of occasions.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode