2Likes
  • 2 Post By Snoogie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-22-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Flexible oil change?

Yes, I read the entire thread from 6 months ago.

I drive maybe 5,000 miles a year. Mostly rural; very little city or highway. On my Impreza I changed oil every 7.5 months because that is what it called for, even though I was nowhere near the mileage requirement.

1) Is there any drawback to the flexible routine? If not, why do they they require a dealer to set it?
2) If for any reason I change my mind, can I set it back to months?
3) As I read it, they require 0w-20, flexible or fixed. Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2016, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
1) There is no drawback to the flexible routine. It is just a calculated estimate of the oil life based on your driving and so on. The dealers are not "required" to put it up (at least not at my dealership as we either set it to fixed or not at all, leaving it up to the customer) As long as you use 0w20 you'll be fine using flexible (it calculates using ow20 specs).

2) You can set it back to Fixed or Off by going to your app icon and enter maintenance tab and set it that way. First option gives you month and mileage when set to fixed. Last two are just oil change set to mileage as well as tire rotation set to mileage. If for any reason you reset any of the maintenance and mileage says some astronomical number, ignore it and reset it again.

3) Correct, our vehicles require 0w20 regardless of fixed or flexible at 4.5 qts.

As mentioned before feel free to follow your own schedule for oil changes. Typical is 4 months or 5000 miles for harsh driving conditions which here in WI is set as according to some entity. Rule of thumb that I was taught 20 years ago is just check the oil yourself with the dipstick. If it looks new you are fine. If its nasty and sooty then change it. These maintenance reminders are just there because people nowadays dont bother to open their hoods/bonnet or even know how (I literally had to show numerous customers how to open their damn hood/bonnet). But for the love of all this expensive do not cheapen out on oil by substituting for cheap non-synthetic oil. In a different post i mentioned that our cars are expensive, like 20k+ cars. A $60-$80 oil change 3 times a year is nothing compared to a $5k+ new engine.
DJ9999 and greaseman85 like this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Thanks, you answered all my questions.

Your dealer will refuse to set it to flexible?! Why?

My son is moving to Madison as soon as he finds an apartment. I hope it is as nice as he says.

Last edited by Toller; 06-23-2016 at 03:33 PM.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2016, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Our dealer doesnt refuse just leave the option up to the customer either prior to picking up their vehicle or after the fact.

Madison is great but driving around here is interesting...especially coming from NY where I lived in Old Westbury Long Island for 4 years. People here are..."interesting" drivers and "interesting" bikers (pedal not motor). Apartments are getting really up there in prices recently as there are gentrifying the area quiet a bit. Is he coming here for school or for work. If going to UW its unavoidable to live in downtown as its the easiest to commute but also pretty expensive to rent. If he has a car that would help as once you leave the immediate downtown area (main campus area) the rent goes down a bit.

Certified Mazda Technician

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode