what engine oil you guys use? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2016, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what engine oil you guys use?

i changed Mobil 1 0w20 at 2500 miles is that ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2016, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
If its in the manual then use it (5w20 is also mention as a substitute at lease here in the US). Also yes it is. If you want to save a little bit on money checking the condition of the oil periodically between oil changes can give you a better idea on when its more realistic to change oil interval. I changed mines at 3k-ish only because its been 5 months since date of purchased and I personally follow the 4 months/5k change interval casually (Oil still looked new but I'm one of those mindful of oil contamination over time). So just make sure your oil is clean and you should be fine.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2016, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogie View Post
If its in the manual then use it (5w20 is also mention as a substitute at lease here in the US). Also yes it is. If you want to save a little bit on money checking the condition of the oil periodically between oil changes can give you a better idea on when its more realistic to change oil interval. I changed mines at 3k-ish only because its been 5 months since date of purchased and I personally follow the 4 months/5k change interval casually (Oil still looked new but I'm one of those mindful of oil contamination over time). So just make sure your oil is clean and you should be fine.
I read through the manual yesterday. Everything said 0w-20. Does it actually say 5w-20 somewhere and I missed it?!
0w-20 will like triple the price on an oil change, but I am not about to take chances.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
My apologies. Upon further investigation through my work account it mentions 5w30 as an alternative with 5w20 as well for everyone except for US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. In the US (Canada & Puerto Rico) we exclusively have to use 0w20. True the cost of using 0w20 is higher but many cars nowadays are designed and "require" the use of 0w20 so its a little unavoidable. If I remember correctly the reason for this is that North America has different standards and refinement for the oil than that of say Europe or elsewhere. So that may be the reason why we exclusively use 0w20 while everyone else can use a different type. Sorry for the mix up.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I suspect in the US at least, that CAFE has a big part in this. 0w-20 gives less friction and hence a bit better MPG thus improving Mazda's CAFE numbers. Since I am in the Phoenix, AZ area I wonder if our CX would be better served with 5w-40 full synthetic? It gets VERY hot here. Just speculating, will ask my service manager next time around...

Glenn

DEEP CRYSTAL BLUE
2016 CX 3 Grand Touring AWD

Wickenburg, AZ

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode