User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Power steering question

Last Saturday we picked our new CX-3. So happy with the car! It is really fun to drive, full of options and I love the looks!

However, there is 1 thing that I noticed driving it last few days. I have the feeling I can ‘feel’ the power steering working. For example when waiting for a traffic light and then turning my steering wheel a bit and keep it there I feel a very very small kind of vibration in the steering wheel (more like a buzz or something). Didn’t notice that during test drives or in my previous car. I must admit I’m a real freak with this kind of feelings and sounds, but I am wondering if this is normal or if maybe something is wrong with the car?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
just out of curiosity why did u feel the need to turn your steering wheel when at a complete stop?

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #3 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

I did not

But I thought I felt something while driving and then checked by turning the steering wheel slightly when standing still. So that is the easiest way for you guys to check..

post #4 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The steering is electrically assisted. You can probably feel the assisting motor under load as you apply some force to the steering wheel. It works with a strain gauge in the column that tells the motor how much assistance you are asking for. Its a clever system that unlike a hydraulic system, takes no power while there is no input from the driver - in a straight line, a hydraulic system is still pumping fluid round the rack.

One consideration you should be aware of, the Istop will not work and shut down the engine at idle if there is even the slightest force applied to the steering wheel so it is best to let go or completely relax your grip of the wheel when stationary. The wheel also needs to be in the region of about 15 degrees from the straight ahead position for Istop to work.

Regarding the system, you can read more here;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf steering column.pdf (159.5 KB, 322 views)
File Type: pdf steering motor.pdf (69.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: pdf steering system.pdf (142.4 KB, 471 views)
bjn likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

What I thought. However, still wondering if other people have the same experience.

I almost never use Istop for normal traffic lights. Only when waiting longer for a train/open bridge/etc.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I've never noticed what angle the wheels are at when I use Istop.

Still.................mustn't grumble
post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Looking at those pdf files anchorman included on his post reminds me of two things :-

1) I've not tried adjusting the steering rake - it just seemed to fall into place naturally. When I think about it, can't remember adjusting on my previous 4 cars at least

2) If I decide to keep my car after the 3yr warranty runs out, I'd better sort out a Mazda extended warranty or warranty with someone else - these kind of complicated systems could be so damn expensive to fix if something goes wrong ! I'm failing in trying to get my head around some text in the steering system pdf which says "serviceability improved by the automatic configuration function and the steering wheel angle neutral position auto-learning function"

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3cx-3 View Post
Looking at those pdf files anchorman included on his post reminds me of two things :-

1) I've not tried adjusting the steering rake - it just seemed to fall into place naturally. When I think about it, can't remember adjusting on my previous 4 cars at least

2) If I decide to keep my car after the 3yr warranty runs out, I'd better sort out a Mazda extended warranty or warranty with someone else - these kind of complicated systems could be so damn expensive to fix if something goes wrong ! I'm failing in trying to get my head around some text in the steering system pdf which says "serviceability improved by the automatic configuration function and the steering wheel angle neutral position auto-learning function"
Ah, that's code! It means they can quote that just before they hand you the invoice for a service. It basically translates to " your screwed".

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Nobody with the same feeling when steering?

Next Friday the car will have a small check and I can check another CX3.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-22-2016, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3cx-3 View Post
2) If I decide to keep my car after the 3yr warranty runs out, I'd better sort out a Mazda extended warranty or warranty with someone else - ..."
Hopefully getting a Mazda extended warranty is different in the UK than what it is in Australia. Over here you can only get one extra year and you have to do it at the time of car purchase.

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode