Auto Transmission Issues - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rekoj516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Unhappy Auto Transmission Issues

Hey Guys,

First off, hope this doesn't happen to anyone here and this is a one off hiccup of these cars...

Secondly, absolutely love my CX-3... Have it since September '15 with about 8700 miles driven. Wifey and I like to travel a little bit.

The problem...
Live in NYC and went to PA for the weekend, as we do often (almost every weekend). This is roughly a 115-mile journey one way. On our way back home today, we were in the last leg of the journey, about to cross the GWB when we hit some heavy bumper to bumper traffic. At this point, we stopped the car, as one would in such traffic, waited until everything motioned so that we can start rolling up. Release the brake to roll forward, nothing.. Thought that due to the incline, I would need to push the gas - nothing, just revs... and then it would grip, jerk and go. Once I thought it was the transmission, I didn't rev as I didn't want to cause more damage. Waited for the tranny to grab hold and start rolling.

At a steady slow roll, I crossed the GWB only to call Mazda roadside while parked on the side of the road in Harlem, to get towed to the nearest dealer. (It's a Sunday, all service departments are closed - have to head out tomorrow (Monday) morning)...

At this point, when in drive, it takes about 30-45 seconds for drive to engage. When on an incline, it will roll downhill and drive will engage after the 30-45 second mark. No other slips, all other gears seem to be fine, driving at speeds appears to not be affected - only the initial release from neutral... Reverse is not affected...

Either way - just wondering if someone experienced this? Is this normal? Why would it take so long for the transmission to engage after jumping into neutral on stop?

Saddest part was sitting in the cab behind my baby getting towed... Still looked great. :P

Last edited by Rekoj516; 03-14-2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Rekoj516 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Hmm, well I'd like to say it's unheard of but I'm afraid it isn't. It's a shame as these are a gem of a box when they are right. It usually results in a replacement box but I hope it works out to be less.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
post #3 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just happened across this thread on the UK CX-3 forum.

Which made me think of this thread on this forum.

And then we have this recent thread.

It just keeps coming back to the automatic transmission, the only serious issue I can find with this car.

I'm considering buying a new car sometime within the next few months and the CX-3 is at the top of my wishlist, but obviously I do not like the idea of a transmission that can malfunction at any minute. Hopefully there will be some kind of response from Mazda.

Anchorman, maybe sticky this thread to make this more visible and organized?

Last edited by Kigaros; 03-14-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Kigaros is offline  
 
post #4 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gearbox

My gearbox did the same thing and failed after 600kms (Aus) your the 4th one. Mine had to be replaced, my theory it maybe one of the solenoid in the box. I sent off a customer report at mazdas request and gave them a serving as Mazda said it was up to the dealer to give me a replacement car till it was fixed. The dealer said it was up to Mazda,this went on for a week and managed to get a car for 1 day before mine was fixed. I haven't heard from Mazda in the last 6months. Best of luck, my new box has now done 4500kms. It still has some hesitation when you come up to lights and the gab disengages and then hit the gas, it hesitates as what to do, that seems to be a software problem. I ha worked in R&D all my life now 62 and have had many new cars. The worst a ford, the best a Honda euro which I still have. Can't afford mercy or bums.
was620 is offline  
post #5 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rekoj516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigaros View Post
I just happened across this thread on the UK CX-3 forum.

Which made me think of this thread on this forum.

And then we have this recent thread.

It just keeps coming back to the automatic transmission, the only serious issue I can find with this car.

I'm considering buying a new car sometime within the next few months and the CX-3 is at the top of my wishlist, but obviously I do not like the idea of a transmission that can malfunction at any minute. Hopefully there will be some kind of response from Mazda.

Anchorman, maybe sticky this thread to make this more visible and organized?
Yeah, that first link describes the feeling pretty well. Almost as if someone has rear ended you because it does appear to jerk very hard.

Almost kinda glad I'm not the only one...

When I was out looking for a new car my friends only recommended that I don't buy a brand new, first year, first model car because it may have kinks within those first few years that the manufacturer hasn't worked out yet. (maybe they were right)
Rekoj516 is offline  
post #6 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rekoj516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Hmm, well I'd like to say it's unheard of but I'm afraid it isn't. It's a shame as these are a gem of a box when they are right. It usually results in a replacement box but I hope it works out to be less.
Yeah, at this point it takes a long time for Drive to just initiate in the auto transmission. Those who experienced something like this usually resulted in a swap...

Ugh... love the car - just sucks it happened. Off to the dealership now to see what they can do...
Rekoj516 is offline  
post #7 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rekoj516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by was620 View Post
My gearbox did the same thing and failed after 600kms (Aus) your the 4th one. Mine had to be replaced, my theory it maybe one of the solenoid in the box. I sent off a customer report at mazdas request and gave them a serving as Mazda said it was up to the dealer to give me a replacement car till it was fixed. The dealer said it was up to Mazda,this went on for a week and managed to get a car for 1 day before mine was fixed. I haven't heard from Mazda in the last 6months. Best of luck, my new box has now done 4500kms. It still has some hesitation when you come up to lights and the gab disengages and then hit the gas, it hesitates as what to do, that seems to be a software problem. I ha worked in R&D all my life now 62 and have had many new cars. The worst a ford, the best a Honda euro which I still have. Can't afford mercy or bums.
That really sucks to hear that it happened to you after 600kms, but oddly comforting knowing I'm not the only one. Hopefully it doesn't repeat for either of us - that feeling of not getting feedback from the car when you hit the gas outside of revs - sucks...
Rekoj516 is offline  
post #8 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
OK, let's collate these issues in one thread. All that concerns me is that we don't yet have a failure mode for these gearboxes or whether there is something the driver can do to try to avoid problems. Is it the way they are driven (no disrespect intended but is it limited to those who drive hard going off the above comment, or is the car fully stopped before selecting reverse/forward). I'm only trying to make a fair assessment.

The auto box is my favourite feature on my car. I cannot criticise it and it does not play any strange tricks. The CX-5 has the same box and the there is a UK diesel version with a massive 410Nm/310ft/lbs of torque so it should be that it can't stand heavy loadings.

I will add some pdf's for those that like a read.
osterga, Sarah and mainemanx like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
post #9 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Rekoj516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
OK, let's collate these issues in one thread. All that concerns me is that we don't yet have a failure mode for these gearboxes or whether there is something the driver can do to try to avoid problems. Is it the way they are driven (no disrespect intended but is it limited to those who drive hard going off the above comment, or is the car fully stopped before selecting reverse/forward). I'm only trying to make a fair assessment.

The auto box is my favourite feature on my car. I cannot criticise it and it does not play any strange tricks. The CX-5 has the same box and the there is a UK diesel version with a massive 410Nm/310ft/lbs of torque so it should be that it can't stand heavy loadings.

I will add some pdf's for those that like a read.
PDFs are welcome!

I just got back from the dealer not too long ago. The service manager actually called the shop foreman down to take a ride with me while I demonstrated the issue and he did mention that he did see it only one time before on a CX-5. He actually described the issue very accurately. Mentioned they needed to replace the transmission on the CX-5 this occurred on.

As for driving style - never hard off first gear. I have always babied my first gear in my cars ever since I ran into issues with my first car. After getting into second/third gear is when I would push it a little harder - but that is already 40mph+ and well off first gear. I like speed - but not burning tires, this isn't a dragster. High gears don't appear to be affected by this problem.

The oddest part is that the problem occurred after a 100-mile drive. We are also in the process of buying a house so we drove around the neighborhood (stop signs and traffic lights) of our future home to take a look around. No issues. We then jumped back on the highway and hit traffic approaching toll for a bridge when the issue first reared it's ugly head.

so sad,
Rekoj516 is offline  
post #10 of 86 Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Derbyshire UK
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Reading time..........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gears general.pdf (105.9 KB, 1197 views)
File Type: pdf gears overview.pdf (117.3 KB, 1218 views)
File Type: pdf gears spec.pdf (104.6 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: pdf torque converter.pdf (79.9 KB, 1202 views)
Mark Wu likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
anchorman is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome