2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
How to turn off the A/C compressor?

I just realized the A/C compressor is running 24/7 on and off as if I had the A/C on but actually it is off just the vent is on. Nothing changes when I turn the A/C on and switch it back off. As long as the vent is on 1-2-3 the compressor is turning on and off in every 15 seconds. Pretty annoying to run the A/C compressor all the time. Any suggestions to turn it off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

The compressor pulley never stops turning but it doesn't turn the hub unless the orange A/C light is on. To turn it off, press the button to turn the light off.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #3 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The AC is forced on when your vent is set to defrost (windshield) or defrost/floor. There's no way to turn it off and there's no AC light indication either.

This is indeed an annoying and wasteful "feature." There's some threads on other mazda forums for other models on how to disable it, but it involves cutting a wire. Too much hassle for a new car.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflex View Post
The AC is forced on when your vent is set to defrost (windshield) or defrost/floor. There's no way to turn it off and there's no AC light indication either.

This is indeed an annoying and wasteful "feature." There's some threads on other mazda forums for other models on how to disable it, but it involves cutting a wire. Too much hassle for a new car.
I'm not sure how this is annoying or wasteful, if you don't have the AC turned on when the vent is set to the windshield it fogs the hell out of the windshield, especially in areas with high humidity. Far too many people don't know this, so I'm guessing for safety this is why Mazda made it mandatory. I mean the only reason you'd set the vent to the windshield is to defrost and/or defog, and if you don't have the AC turned on it will make the fogging worse. So it makes perfect sense to me and cuts an extra step out of the way.
Bosse and Sarah like this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #5 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
I'm not sure how this is annoying or wasteful, if you don't have the AC turned on when the vent is set to the windshield it fogs the hell out of the windshield, especially in areas with high humidity. Far too many people don't know this, so I'm guessing for safety this is why Mazda made it mandatory. I mean the only reason you'd set the vent to the windshield is to defrost and/or defog, and if you don't have the AC turned on it will make the fogging worse. So it makes perfect sense to me and cuts an extra step out of the way.
I live in the greater Seattle area and it's as humid as it gets for 9 months out of the year. It's so humid here that you need to keep it on defrost all the time in the winter. However, AC is not needed to keep the windshield defogged.

AC will only speed the initial defogging process and is otherwise a waste of gas and compressor wear.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have another 2016 car a Honda Civic and I could turn the A/C off. Funny also in that car without the A/C indicator light being on the AUTO setting automatically turns on the A/C on. I have to switch the A/C off and an indicator light comes on showing the "A/C is OFF".
Not on my CX-3. I will go back to the dealer to set the computer to take this feature out. I am in New York not in Nevada where cars are set to turn the A/C on as soon as they start the car. The only way the A/C compressor turns off right now if I shut the vent off to zero. I like normal air circulation and even in the summer I barely use the A/C just when it goes up above 90F.
Besides waste of gas, it also takes away power from the engine and I hate the compressor clicking noise. I like my engine smooth and quiet.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
JulianV, there must be a problem with your particular CX3 and I'd take it to the dealer to look at. The AC should NOT stay on unless you're setting the vent to windshield. Even then it doesn't stay on, it goes on and off to prevent fogging.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #8 of 18 Old 02-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianV View Post
I have another 2016 car a Honda Civic and I could turn the A/C off. Funny also in that car without the A/C indicator light being on the AUTO setting automatically turns on the A/C on. I have to switch the A/C off and an indicator light comes on showing the "A/C is OFF".
Not on my CX-3. I will go back to the dealer to set the computer to take this feature out. I am in New York not in Nevada where cars are set to turn the A/C on as soon as they start the car. The only way the A/C compressor turns off right now if I shut the vent off to zero. I like normal air circulation and even in the summer I barely use the A/C just when it goes up above 90F.
Besides waste of gas, it also takes away power from the engine and I hate the compressor clicking noise. I like my engine smooth and quiet.
Please let us know what the dealer says. If there's a way for them to turn this off, I'm taking mine in as well.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
i am super confused after reading this thread so please bare with me

if i aim air at the windshield option without pressing the circular button to activate the orange light, does this mean the compressor will still run?

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT
post #10 of 18 Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 PM
JPA

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
AC turns on automatically when using the defrost function but I can turn it off by pushing the button in middle of temperature adjustmen knob. There is an indicator light right under the AC text. It is alight when AC is on.

Air re-circulation can be switched on or off by pressing the button in the fan speed control knob. It also has an indicator light an I can turn it on or off when I want.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD

Tags
a/c , compressor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode