User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Jack points

What are some safe jack points for the CX3?

I know the manual recommends the four spots close to the wheels along the outside of the frame, but are there spots better suited for a floor jack? Is the rear diff (doesn't look safe) or front wishbone safe?

Diagrams would be great if anyone has them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
This should help. Its straight from my Mazda Technician Account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack point3.jpg
Views:	5071
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	5546   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack point2.jpg
Views:	9821
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	5554   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack point1.jpg
Views:	4093
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5562  
Postal, inflex, Bosse and 2 others like this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #3 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Perfect, thanks.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
In pdf format in case anybody wants to print a copy........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf jacking and axle stands detailed.pdf (881.2 KB, 1317 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #5 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the 2wd models, rear jacking position shows that a rear under cover can be removed.

Is this cover there as well with the 4WD models?

Mazda Enthusiast currently researching the CX3 and would like:
2016 CX3 GT w/ Technology Package. Soul Red on Pure White Leather?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
In pdf format in case anybody wants to print a copy........
First, thank you for welcoming me!
Have question about US model 2016-17 CX-3, 2L GAS. AWD jacking up at the rear differential. I like to know did you or, know someone who actually jack it up at the rear differential? Assuming the European model (or all continent models in that matter) has the same differential and mounted the same way. My concern is not where to position the jack, but the way the differential is mounted to the body... See member Soraia picture #5 . Thank you in advance. Steven.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don’t know where to look for that picture but I’ve found some from my CX-3. Firstly, let me say I wouldn’t normally lift both sides of a car at one go unless I just wanted to change the wheels maybe - I think it is too unstable to work on. Looking at this photo you will see that the diff is mounted on three large metaplastic mountings. I don’t think there would be any problems with the diff case or those mountings and we can only presume that Mazda are happy with the forces imposed by lifting it there are OK on the floorpan. I’m not exactly thrilled with lifting the FWD on that point provided behind the bumper. However, these modern cars have a very stiff floorpan and I’m sure they know what they are doing! I certainly would use these centre points while there was any weight in the car.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #8 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't lifted my CX-3 by the center points yet but my RX-8 (RWD) lift points are identical and they're roughly the same weight.

Another possibility is to take advantage of the structural rigidity of the car. You can lift one side of the car simply by jacking at the front pinch-weld jacking point. Do it under the end with the most weight (front in a FE/FWD car) I have found this easier and faster when I'm only working on one side of the car at a time. I've done it this way any times on every car I've owned for the last 15 years ('92 Saturn SL2, '99 VW Passat, 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, '05 RX-8, '09 Infiniti G37x and '16 CX-3).

I do NOT recommend this if you're trying to get all four wheels off the ground because you can pull the car off the jack stands unless you have the jack sitting on a frictionless surface. Don't ask me how I know.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
"Don't ask me how I know” ;-)
Cyclone1410 and NotAPreppie like this.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
I donít know where to look for that picture but Iíve found some from my CX-3. Firstly, let me say I wouldnít normally lift both sides of a car at one go unless I just wanted to change the wheels maybe - I think it is too unstable to work on. Looking at this photo you will see that the diff is mounted on three large metaplastic mountings. I donít think there would be any problems with the diff case or those mountings and we can only presume that Mazda are happy with the forces imposed by lifting it there are OK on the floorpan. Iím not exactly thrilled with lifting the FWD on that point provided behind the bumper. However, these modern cars have a very stiff floorpan and Iím sure they know what they are doing! I certainly would use these centre points while there was any weight in the car.

The picture I'm referring is in "Tires, Wheels, and Suspension" >3rd page > CX-3 suspension and AWD pictures. Sorry, I'm still "Gibbs" with computers...
Fifth picture showing the plate of the differential mount is bolted to, that plate is my only concern.
Only doing the center lifting at home on concrete floor, twice per year for oil changes, tire rotation and repairs if necessary, on both of our vehicles. Currently the 2017 CX-3 AWD and 2008 TUNDRA SR5 DC 2WD. Before the CX-3, 2007 SUZUKI SX4 AWD SPORT. Center or side lift, both is dangerous! Yes, got to be very cautious! Yes, got to have proper tools! Yes, got to learn as we go!.. I will made or buy four pinch-weld adapters for my jack-stands. Car is very stable and safe on four stands! Yes, I also see and feel the CX-3 floorpan is strong, just want to be safe and learn as much is possible before the first lifting. Scheduled for last weekend of next month or first weekend of December. Still hoping someone already done it...
Yes! Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode