User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-03-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Lightbulb CX-3 DIY Engine Oil Change

Just did an engine oil change on the CX-3 AWD after 1,300 miles.
The Wrench icon turned up for oil change for some reason, even though we just bought the car. It was saying like 183 miles or so to oil change, pretty much asking to change oil at 1,500 on the ODO. I was already planning to change after a break in anyway. I did that to my other cars bought new as well.

So here's the engine oil filter. Purolator model L14612. Other brands also use L14612. The tool for this filter is 65 mm 14 flutes.

Jack up the front of the car using jacking points. Make sure you use jack stands or your life can end painfully.
The oil drain is at the back of the pan so jacking up the front end only ensures all the dirty oil comes out.
Both oil drain and oil filter are located inside same panel. It has three 8 mm hex head screws and two push-pins.

Use 8 mm hex wrench to undo the drain plug.

You will need 3" extension since the oil filter is too close for a normal size ratchet.

Here's the drain plug with original washer on it. The new washer was for MZR engine in 2006-15 Mazda Miata MX-5 but it is same size. It is sitting on a quarter for reference in case you don't want to show up at Mazda dealer for the $0.70 washer.

Mazda oil filter is 67 mm with 14 flutes. So using 65/67 dual size can save some money for you. I just happen to get both.

Don't tighten the oil filter or drain plug too much. There are torque ratings but since both have washers, all you need is enough to put pressure on the washers. Oil filter can be tightened with hand since it uses rubber washer.

Always try to use 0w-20 oil since US market cars are made for it. Saves gas and flows better inside the engine. For other market cars, read the manual.

Once oil change is done, go to Mazda Connect system menu Home>Apps>Maintenance>Oil Change>Reset to reset the interval once more. I set mine to smart oil change with considers environmental conditions , trip lengths, time, driving distance, engine load to recommend oil change sooner (max 10,000 miles)
Good luck.

Last edited by Soraia; 02-03-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent "How To". Thanks mate.

Good Grammar is not a time of waste.

CX-3 Petrol
post #3 of 30 Old 10-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Bumping this old thread.

Has anyone used an oil extractor with their CX-3 yet?

It's basically a hand pump with attached to a reservoir with a siphon that goes down the oil dipstick tube. Warm up the engine and turn it off, insert tube, pump vacuum in reservoir, watch oil get sucked out.

I use one on my RX-8 and get the same amount of oil out as using the drain hole. Obviously, oil pan topographies may be different which is why I ask.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

post #4 of 30 Old 11-12-2016, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
When it's time to do my first oil change on my CX-3 that I just picked up yesterday, I will be looking for a drain plug that will use a regular box end wrench or socket to remove and install.

I am not a big fan of fasteners that require an allen key or hex socket. Depending on the make and metal type of the key or hex socket you can easily screw up the factory drain plug and you would be shit out of luck trying to remove it afterwards.

Yes a regular drain plug can get screwed up too but the chances of that happening is less likely vs. an allen key bolt.

Anybody know the size and thread pitch of the oil drain plug bolt? If no one knows I'll find out and when I get the proper plug I'll post up here what I use.

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
post #5 of 30 Old 11-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
No but this TSB gives you some part numbers. I think it is the standard Toyota plug.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Introduction of Hexagon Head Type Drain Plug for Engine Oil Pan.pdf (41.1 KB, 652 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #6 of 30 Old 11-12-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanks anchorman for that pdf. I will check that other part # at my Mazda dealer but I will also try to find a magnetic plug that will work in the oil pan.

I use magnetic plugs in my Z06 and Shelby and there are always tiny minute particles stuck to the drain plug when doing an oil change I think doing something like that for the CX-3 would be a good idea.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Years ago cars used to require a quick oil change but they don't now. Do They?

Why would you change your oil after 1,500 miles? Am I missing something?

Last edited by Toller; 11-18-2016 at 12:09 AM.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Garage
Depends on the market. In the US, Mazda set the OCI at around 1/2 or 1/3 the length as other parts of the world. No idea why.

Some car nerds (such as myself) like to do a very short initial oil change to remove all of the particles generated during break-in. I doubt it's necessary but it makes us feel better.

An update on my oil extractor question:
I tried and failed. I had a bodged repair on the extractor tube for my PELA 6000 (heat shrink tubing to fix damage done by a Hyundai 2.7L engine). The extra thickness of the heat shrink is just a bit too much for the narrow dipstick tube. I need to contact PELA about a replacement tube.

-Tim Minchin.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM

Might as well just drain it the conventional way instead of making more work getting a tube down there to suck out the old oil. I'm already slightly annoyed that there's a cover I gotta pull off everytime an oil change is performed don't need extra work to do for a simple job.

Get the car nice and hot and pull the plug and just let it drain. Shops want to get your car in and out so usually they don't get all the oil out but doing it yourself this way you can let it drain while checking the other systems on your car.

I hear that the cx-3 plug is facing the back of the vehicle, my driveway has a slope down so that's perfect for me to yank the plug and let it drain. I even let it drip for quite a while before putting the plug back. Remember there will always be some old oil in your engine no amount of draining will get it all out.

It also looks like the mazda filter screws in vertically so that's perfect to be able to prefill the new filter before installing it. I do that with the vette and shelby but can't do that with the suzuki or nissan since the filters on those two cars mount horizontally.
post #10 of 30 Old 11-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
In hindsight, a lot of the benefits from an oil extractor are blunted somewhat by the location of the oil filter. In my '8 (with the filter on top), the oil extractor gets as much oil as pulling the drain plug and I never have to get down on the ground.

I may just invest in a Fumoto drain valve.

-Tim Minchin.

Tags
mazda cx-3 , oil change , purolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode