LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Newbie question on safe use of paddle shifters

Hi,

My CX-3 is supposed to arrive in the following weeks, quite excited about it
It's gonna be my first car with automatic transmission and I have a question regarding the usage of paddle shifters: is there some protection in place so that if you use the wrong paddle, you don't break the engine or something else?

For example:
  • 3rd gear, 5000 RPM and instead of shifting up to 4th gear you manage to shift down to 2nd. Is it going to do it or will just ignore the wrong paddle touch?
  • 3rd gear, slowing and instead to shifting down you manage to shift up. Is it gonna kill the engine?

Thank you,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyC View Post
Hi,

My CX-3 is supposed to arrive in the following weeks, quite excited about it
It's gonna be my first car with automatic transmission and I have a question regarding the usage of paddle shifters: is there some protection in place so that if you use the wrong paddle, you don't break the engine or something else?

For example:
  • 3rd gear, 5000 RPM and instead of shifting up to 4th gear you manage to shift down to 2nd. Is it going to do it or will just ignore the wrong paddle touch?
  • 3rd gear, slowing and instead to shifting down you manage to shift up. Is it gonna kill the engine?

Thank you,
Daniel
Welcome to the forum

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm 100% sure the system won't allow You to change to too low a gear (just as You can switch to too high a gear).

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Still being an automatic, it will shift gears if you forget to shift to a higher gear while redlining for a period, or if you don't shift down while slowing down and coming to a stop. I haven't tried accidentally shifting down when trying to shift up and vice versa, but I assume with automatic transmissions there are protections in place.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
Still being an automatic, it will shift gears if you forget to shift to a higher gear while redlining for a period, or if you don't shift down while slowing down and coming to a stop. I haven't tried accidentally shifting down when trying to shift up and vice versa, but I assume with automatic transmissions there are protections in place.
There are those aids in place, it's been like that for over a decade. I remember driving one of my first tiptronic cars back in 06, flooring it and it shifting before redline.

It's partially how car makers protect themselves and of course us from be idiots.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 AM
wbw

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would be real surprised if the transmission let you make a big mistake like that. They have it covered.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you put the trans into +- (tiptronic) mode by pushing the shifter to the left from D, then use the paddles, you can indeed exceed safe rpms and cause some over-rev issues.

There are no nannies to fix that mistake. Just get out of the manual mode and back to D ASAP.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V Sport Sedan, 1990 Mazda Miata
Old 01-23-2016, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzebill View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you put the trans into +- (tiptronic) mode by pushing the shifter to the left from D, then use the paddles, you can indeed exceed safe rpms and cause some over-rev issues.

There are no nannies to fix that mistake. Just get out of the manual mode and back to D ASAP.
You can get to the rev limiter just the same as a manual box.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
Old 01-25-2016, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I am not sure why auto makers continue to mount paddle shifters on the steering wheel, as opposed to fixed on the column, so they dont turn as the wheel turns. That way you will never have confusion on upshift/downshift...

2016 Dynamic Blue CX-3 GT ... 2005 Titanium Grey RX-8 GT