Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Fuel Efficiency (mpg)

53K views 123 replies 50 participants last post by  Zechariah936 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought the cx-3 and I love it. However I am only getting around 22mpg and I drive really slow. I haven't been pushing the gas at all. I have the touring AWD version but still is this normal? I thought i'd be getting around 30mpg.

Also, today the 7-11 near my house, I filled the tank for the first time with nearly 14 gallons of gas, and my tank still had 50miles of range left on it before i filled it up. Does this mean that the 7-11 is scamming customers? I read that the capacity is around 12 gallons on this.

Thanks!:|

#2 ·
there is another thread regarding mpg expectations on various locations and as mentioned there it will vary greatly on many different variables. weather, road conditions, driving habits, accessories that are on, etc all affect your realistic mpg. mpg on those epa stickers are always based on "ideal conditions" which for the most part vary greatly to actual conditions we face. Mazdas are usually pretty good on being close to those epa stickers compared to other companies which their realistic mpg vary greater that 5mpg average.

if anyone has the link to the previous thread on mpg tag it here as i am too lazy to search.

regarding the gas station filling up to 14 gallons is a bit of a mystery. you are correct that we have a 12 gallon tank so even if for any reason some gas goes and fills the neck of the fuel tank it shouldnt be another 2 gallons in there. you may want to investigate this. even if temps are low and what not that is 2 gallons of mysterious-ness. what version of the cx3 do u have by my meaning ur location or other various specs as im only aware of the US gas version of these vehicles.

#3 ·
If you are USA based your gas tank is 11.9 gallons. I would fill the tank, take a picture and talk with the manager. Hard to put 14 gallons into a 11.9 gallon tank. As Ricky Ricardo would say to Lucy... There's something fishy goin' on 'round here!!!

#4 · (Edited)
Ive got a European diesel AWD auto and it took at least 1000 miles to settle down and kept increasing little by little. It is still way short of the published figures but they are never achievable to anyone who doesn’t have perfect lab conditions.

Like Snoogie says, yes you have been scammed - either by having the wrong metering or registering some fuel from the last sale. There are two tanks available on a CX-3. The tank for an AWD like yours holds 44 litres or 11.58 US gallons when bone dry.

Print off the attached pdf (at least the last page) and take it along to the garage with your receipt. If you are being generous, you want a refund of at least 5 gallons.

Attachments

#5 ·

Okay thank you. Yes I have the USA Touring AWD model. My dad was saying the same thing, that maybe the gas was recorded from the previous sale. I wonder if the 7-11's are trying to make money this way...fishy stuff. Especially since I still had a 50mile range when I filled up, so I should have only bought something like 9 gallons of gas, not 14!

And okay, that all makes sense to me about why I can not get the desired MPG. I guess I will have to accept it!

#6 ·
I've averaged about 28 mpg the past week driving exclusively in the city, mostly to and from work. With the holidays there has been almost no traffic. Driving through full traffic though I average about 25 mpg. Driving really slow doesn't mean you'll get better fuel economy, you normally get better fuel economy driving on highways where there's less accelerating/decelerating and almost no stop-and-go driving.

Did you calculate your own mpg to get 22 or is that what the car displays? I find the car's calculations to normally be off by at least 1 mpg.

#8 ·
Yeah that's definitely off, I reset my trip meter and average mpg calculation every time I fill up. So the next time I fill up, I just divide the miles in my trip meter by the amount of gas I put in. Of course assuming my gas station isn't scamming me either lol.

What I calculate tends to be around 1 mpg lower than what the car's mpg calculator shows.

#9 ·
I got 415kms on a 35L fill, not sure what that is in MPG (from Canada).

Mix of city & highway driving.

For comparison (though biased) my RX8 gets about 220kms MAX on a 30L fill. I am a VERY happy driver these days :)

#11 ·
Almost 5000 miles now. Consistently averaging 29 MPG in 50/50 city-highway driving.

#13 ·
We are getting around 450 kilometers from our CX3 around town, lots of short trips.

When it's on one road I see the efi you improve dramatically.

Will be interested to see what it does on a longer run.

#17 ·
Don’t tell them you have a manual box or they will go nuts!

My diesel AWD auto only does the same as your petrol.:(

#23 ·
It must be mostly highway driving. Here in US the estimate is 33 miles per gallon on highway, so on a 11.9 gallon tank it is about 393 miles per tank or 628 km.

City estimate is 27 mpg, but due to traffic I average around 25 mpg when I calculate it.

#35 ·
HI Santa
your right foot is too heavy. :)

Monday morning on Køgebugt, on my way to work, my average was 4,3L/100Km....

I would prefer to have had the automatic transmission, but if it is really so thirsty with economical driving, then maybe I should be happy about my manual. Honestly - how are you driving ? Economic ? what is your average speed? Traffic pattern - city?/highway? speed....

#32 ·
I don't believe EPA testing in "city" really means the city like the real world (stop and go, red lights etc). I do 99% city driving and never on any car have gotten what is indicated as "city" on the window sticker.

That being said, when I have driven on some decent highway trips, I've gotten 34mpg, above the rating for highway. This is a reminder that city/hwy ratings are averages and actual mpg will vary based on driving style, conditions, environment etc.

#33 ·
In Canadian terms, I am getting an average of 8.1 L/100km. An obvious improvement over my previous Subaru Forester that averaged 9.5L/100km. This is combined Hwy and city driving.

#34 ·
Your foot and tire pressure probably have the two biggest impacts on gas mileage.

The little engine on the CX3 doesn't have a lot of torque in reserve, so stepping on the gas will really drive the revs and gas consumption up.

A low tire pressure and a high one make for a difference of 2-4 MPG. I usually put an additional 4PSI into the tires for the winter (so about 40psi front, 37 rear).

I get about 34 freeway and 28 "town".

#38 ·
It's the stop and go (both city driving and otherwise) that hurst the economy with the automatic transmission.
So I don't think You'll see an improvement if You switch to an auto, You can do it better with a manual.
Buuuuuuuut it's way more comfortable with an auto than a manual :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.