LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 117 Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh Sanicola View Post
How is everyone getting great gas mileage?

I bought the CX-3 Grand Touring AWD brand new (had about 100 miles on it) and I just reached 1,000 miles. I average 25 mpg, but when I fill up the range reads about 250 miles. How is that possible? I feel that at 11.9 gallons I should be able to get a lot more out of it. I drive mostly city, 10 mile commute a day in rush hour traffic, but a couple days out of the week highway.

Anyone have any tips on how to get better gas mileage?
We must drive in a similar fashion since we seem to be getting similar MPG. Most of my driving is city as well. I think that really negatively impacts the gas mileage. In our case with rush hour city commute, there's probably not much we can do to improve the gas mileage.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I don't believe EPA testing in "city" really means the city like the real world (stop and go, red lights etc). I do 99% city driving and never on any car have gotten what is indicated as "city" on the window sticker.

That being said, when I have driven on some decent highway trips, I've gotten 34mpg, above the rating for highway. This is a reminder that city/hwy ratings are averages and actual mpg will vary based on driving style, conditions, environment etc.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 117 Old 02-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
In Canadian terms, I am getting an average of 8.1 L/100km. An obvious improvement over my previous Subaru Forester that averaged 9.5L/100km. This is combined Hwy and city driving.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 117 Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Your foot and tire pressure probably have the two biggest impacts on gas mileage.

The little engine on the CX3 doesn't have a lot of torque in reserve, so stepping on the gas will really drive the revs and gas consumption up.

A low tire pressure and a high one make for a difference of 2-4 MPG. I usually put an additional 4PSI into the tires for the winter (so about 40psi front, 37 rear).

I get about 34 freeway and 28 "town".
MIKEBRAVO likes this.
post #35 of 117 Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
The most i've got is 692 km on 46 l (around 15 km per liter) and that's actually a long way from the stated milage which is 17.2 km per l.
My average so far is 6.49 l per 100 km (or 15.4 km per l) over 3,171 km.
HI Santa
your right foot is too heavy.

Monday morning on Køgebugt, on my way to work, my average was 4,3L/100Km....

I would prefer to have had the automatic transmission, but if it is really so thirsty with economical driving, then maybe I should be happy about my manual. Honestly - how are you driving ? Economic ? what is your average speed? Traffic pattern - city?/highway? speed....

Former: 2015 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Manual transmission, Soul Red Metallic
Current: 2016 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Automatic transmission, Meteor Gray
post #36 of 117 Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osterga View Post
HI Santa
your right foot is too heavy.

Monday morning on Køgebugt, on my way to work, my average was 4,3L/100Km....

I would prefer to have had the automatic transmission, but if it is really so thirsty with economical driving, then maybe I should be happy about my manual. Honestly - how are you driving ? Economic ? what is your average speed? Traffic pattern - city?/highway? speed....
Hi

I know the automatic transmission should be slightly more economical, but in reality i don't think it is.
But it's so much more relaxing than a manual
I try to drive economical, with about 35 city driving and 65% highway.
I'm ok with the average, since it's about 2 km/l more than my old car and I have automatic transmission now
I normally drive 80-82 km/h on the highway to work (I don't want a speeding ticket) using the cruise control (which I don't think is helping the economy).
What's Your average speed on Køgebugt?

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

post #37 of 117 Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi

What's Your average speed on Køgebugt?
For every full tank i note the average speed - usually around 55 km/h pr fueling.

On Køgebugt highway there is usually quite heavy traffic so plenty of stop and go! i try to maintain around 90 km/h when possible.

Former: 2015 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Manual transmission, Soul Red Metallic
Current: 2016 CX-3 2.0 Skyactiv-G, Automatic transmission, Meteor Gray
post #38 of 117 Old 02-03-2016, 05:39 AM

It's the stop and go (both city driving and otherwise) that hurst the economy with the automatic transmission.
So I don't think You'll see an improvement if You switch to an auto, You can do it better with a manual.
Buuuuuuuut it's way more comfortable with an auto than a manual
osterga likes this.

post #39 of 117 Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's the stop and go (both city driving and otherwise) that hurst the economy with the automatic transmission.
So I don't think You'll see an improvement if You switch to an auto, You can do it better with a manual.
Buuuuuuuut it's way more comfortable with an auto than a manual
Manual isn't going to help you with fuel economy anymore. That may have been the case 20 years ago, but cars are much smarter now and the automatic transmission is controlled by computers far more capable than the average human.

Its one of those myths people still believe unfortunately:
15 Car Myths Debunked - Business Insider

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #40 of 117 Old 02-03-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
Manual isn't going to help you with fuel economy anymore. That may have been the case 20 years ago, but cars are much smarter now and the automatic transmission is controlled by computers far more capable than the average human.

Its one of those myths people still believe unfortunately:
15 Car Myths Debunked - Business Insider
I agree when we talk of dual-clutch transmissions, automated manual transmissions and CVT.
But the Mazda automatic transmission is a torque-converter transmission (although heavily improved over previous generations of torque-converter tranmissions).
They have to a certain extent improved the economy by makng it drive in lockup for a greater period of time, but it still uses more fuel (escpecially during acceleration).

The Mazda 2 uses more fuel with auto than manual (petrol engine).
The Mazda 3 uses more fuel with auto than manual (petrol and diesel engine).
The Mazda 6 auto uses the same amount as a manual with petrol engine, but more fuel with diesel engine.
The CX-3 and the CX-5 both use less with auto than manual (with petrol engine) but more with diesel engine.
At least that's what Mazda says.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode