3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Break-In Engine

Hi!

I am recieving my Mazda CX-3 the second week of January, and I have therefore been reading a little about how to break in the new engine. This is my first new car, so after some heavy googling, I am a litle confused.

Some say that there is no need to break-in the engine, while others have different opinions.

Many say that you should the first 1000km:
Keep rpms between 2000-5000
Have variable speed
Avoid full throttle

How did you break-in your new engine?

Mazda CX-3 2016 Optimum 150hp petrol AWD Automatic transmission with Deep Crystal Blue colour

Last edited by Ovaku; 12-20-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Ovaku,

I was confused as well.

Allot of people say it is no longer necessary however I thought it was better to be safe, especially because a naturally aspirated Japanese motor is going to last a long time.

The Mazda Australia website recommended exactly what you mentioned to break-in the motor, which is what I did. Except I still babied the motor until the car's first oil change.

I'm sure Mazda Norway's website has a similar section, but here you go;
http://www.mazda.com.au/owners/vehicle-care/

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT

Last edited by drs88; 12-20-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: add link
post #3 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Modern vehicles are built to much finer tolerances than this of only the turn of the century.

The best advice is to treat it gently for maybe 500 miles then just drive it normally for another 500. The problem manufacturers have is that there are a few looneys about who drive like they are possessed most of the time and it's these galoots that they have to guard against and spell it out to them. Rest assured, rental cars don't get broken in and they rarely suffer for it. I'm not saying you can ignore the advice but don't thrash the thing at high revs, labour it at low revs or sustained heavy load. Mixed duty normal driving is best and don't forget the same applies to brakes and tyres (tires).

Over here, the first oil change isn't due until 12 months or 12500 miles whichever comes first. Again, due to fine tolerances and highly efficient filters, there shouldn't really be a need to do interim oil changes but I'm a bit old fashioned too and diesel engined vehicles can have big problems with the soot from oil getting into the exhaust. We have a very fine filters in the exhaust that can get blocked with soot so I may well do mine in the spring at 6 months for that reason and of course I will document it for the forum.

If any of you gas guys do an oil change and can take some good quality photos, I would be very grateful if you could do the same (it's the same process but the filter is in a different place). You can post up a tutorial or send them to me and I will do it credited to the sender. Eventually they will all get "stickied" into a "how to" section.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"

post #4 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Never in my life have I ever heard of any mechanical issues attributed to not "breaking in" a motor. I've had many new cars and I just drive normal like a normal person and have never had a problem.
anchorman likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
The last time I came across a warning about a proper break-in period was with a 2-cycle outboard engine for my little aluminum boat. That was over 15 years ago. It is very seldom that engines are built with tolerances that mandate a slow break-in period to get components to begin to wear properly. The proper tolerances are now well machined in because of modern computer robotics built in to the manufacturing process.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
the break in period is definitely something to be mindful of as its also the period when the car's computers are learning the cars driving condition and sets up a realistic parameters for the operations of ur car (differences in driving style, environment conditions, etc). I myself with my car followed the break in period somewhat to the T and after the first 500 miles i slowly started stressing it out more (higher revs and just working the car out). im at 1800ish miles on my CX3 and starting to open the car up a bit, pushing the sportiness of it to find its limits w/o voiding warranties of course. here in the US with my gas CX3 we do a 4 month 5000mi oil change interval. As i have shop and getting there with millage i could send photos of the oil change process as even at work i have yet gotten any CX3s to service yet. if i do get one in before mine i will definitely try to get pictures of the process and send it to anchorman to work some editing magic.
anchorman likes this.

Certified Mazda Technician
post #7 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
^^So during the break in you're just driving like a normal person so business as usual. So what are you really breaking in?

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
post #8 of 24 Old 12-20-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ovaku,

You will find owners manual in your own language here:
http://idn.tweddle.com/media/mazda/8..._web_OM_LR.pdf

On page 3-45 there are instructions. (Not page 3 to 45 !!
post #9 of 24 Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaku View Post
Hi!

I am recieving my Mazda CX-3 the second week of January, and I have therefore been reading a little about how to break in the new engine. This is my first new car, so after some heavy googling, I am a litle confused.

Some say that there is no need to break-in the engine, while others have different opinions.

Many say that you should the first 1000km:
Keep rpms between 2000-5000
Have variable speed
Avoid full throttle

How did you break-in your new engine?
My first 1000km involved driving it around the city with stop start driving for the first 300km and then I drove the CX3 over 700km in one day on the highway under all sorts of conditions. I didn't push the car overly hard but I did try out overtaking large trucks on sport mode and even kept the car at constant RPM for an hour or so on cruise control which I know is not recommended.

Then I took the car for the 1000km inspection at around 1100km and it checked out all okay. In my opinion no real break in is required but Mazda puts these rules to stop idiot drivers doing stupid things that could damage the engine components. Unless you work in the Mazda engineering department you will never know the real margin they build into the car until failure.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Most engine break ins are done in house at the factory. Maybe there should be a new term used to describe the first 1000kms as stated as " car learning mode" almost every car states the same condition of use in the beginning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode