User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Manual Transmission

All US sold CX3s are currently only available with the 6-speed automatic transmission. Are any vehicles sold outside the US available with a manual gearbox? Not paddle shifters... All three pedals. If you have one with a manual, I would appreciate your opinion on clutch feel, shifter, gear ratios etc. I also have a 08 MX5 and love shifting that car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Add Canada to that list, no manual option here either, not that I mind though, the Auto is pretty amazing as far as autos go.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #3 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
The skyactive manual transmissions are delightful to use. Very light positive shifts and nice smooth clutch.
Sarah likes this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"

post #4 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Anchorman, is your CX3 a manual or have you drove other Mazda SkyActive manual transmission models in the development of your opinion? Would it be fair to say a SkyActive manual transmission in a Mazda 3 would feel similar to a SkyActive manual transmission in a CX3? Thanks Mate!
post #5 of 36 Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
HI
I have not driven a Mazda 3 manual. But i have had a Mazda 6 2.0 gasolin 165 HP, 2014 manual transmission - that gearbox had some issues wiht 3. gear - mainly difficult to shift up from 2. to 3. .

Currently i'm driving a CX-3, 2.0 gasolin 120 HP also manual transmission. That is by far the best, smoothest gearbox i have tried.

I also have a M2 1,5 115HP gasolin - it is almost as good as the cx-3.....

Last edited by osterga; 11-06-2015 at 06:23 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-16-2015, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLyveWyre View Post
All US sold CX3s are currently only available with the 6-speed automatic transmission. Are any vehicles sold outside the US available with a manual gearbox? Not paddle shifters... All three pedals. If you have one with a manual, I would appreciate your opinion on clutch feel, shifter, gear ratios etc. I also have a 08 MX5 and love shifting that car!
I've got a petrol CX3 with a manual transmission. Fantastic gear box and clutch. The clutch is light but firm enough to feel what you are actually doing and the gear shifting is quite precise. Traded an E87 BMW 120i for my CX3 and the gear changing is just as good, with the drivability of Mazda winning.

The gear ratios are really well balanced for city driving, you can change into 2nd gear at low speeds when stuck in traffic to stop the car from bunny hopping. But you can rev out the gears allot longer when you want to have some fun. I've done a few road trips into the country and the car is completely different, I was shocked how sporty it was. Nothing like dropping back a few gears and giving it a bit on a windy stretch of road.

I read a few US and Canadian reviews that were very firm in their wording that Mazda didn't even bother making a manual transmission and lol'd. I imagine you will eventually get them, Honda did a similar thing with the HRV when they launched their Australian version. If you check CX3's for sale in Australia about 1/3 are manual, and like the US we are a very automatic dominant market.
Sarah likes this.

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT
post #7 of 36 Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLyveWyre View Post
Anchorman, is your CX3 a manual or have you drove other Mazda SkyActive manual transmission models in the development of your opinion? Would it be fair to say a SkyActive manual transmission in a Mazda 3 would feel similar to a SkyActive manual transmission in a CX3? Thanks Mate!
The automatic box in a CX-3 is the EW6AX-EL for the AWD (signified by the X) and EW6A-EL in the FWD. The manual transmissions are the C66MX-R in the AWD (once again signified by the X) and the C66M-R for the FWD. There is a chart attached which gives more detail.

I have driven both. Now I probably cant compare the auto transmission in my diesel so well with the auto in the 2.0G engine because the mapping will be different to take in the low end torque of the diesel. Nor is there a sport mode on the diesel although the paddles still exist. Whoever in Mazda mapped the gear changes for the diesel needs a gold star. It changes almost exactly where I would change manually and that is rare in many auto boxes. They nearly always go way out of the torque curve and the fuel consumption curves.

I drove the manuals during test drives and I would have chosen one. It was as good as anything Ive driven. The gear changes were very slick and well spaced and as stated above, matched with a well weighted clutch.

If you are big into technicalities, I can find you some very informative pdfs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 10.35.21.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2977  

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

post #8 of 36 Old 11-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The thumbnail is hopeless so look at the last page of this pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gears spec.pdf (104.6 KB, 940 views)

post #9 of 36 Old 11-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Had a chance to drive the new Miata MX-5 around a short track mazda set up in Toronto. The manual transmission was nearly perfect, what I expect from a Miata. Beautifully paired with the similar 2.0L skyactiv motor. I just can't see Mazda screwing up with a manual with such great transmissions since the original 1990 model I still own. Still not sold on paddle shifters.....
drs88 likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

If a manual with the 2.5L becomes available... I think I would trade in my GT. Are you listening Mazda????
Rekoj516 and Sarah like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode