2Likes
  • 2 Post By anchorman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Anyone Familiar With Mazda Gearboxes?

I've not driven any of the newer Mazda's but from what I've been reading they are particularly well done and adored by members of the media...

Quote:
On the other hand, the automatic is the same excellent unit in other Mazda products, and blends the best attributes of the dual-clutch and traditional automatic gearboxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-02-2015, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Although I prefer three pedals, the CX3 automatic transmission is one of the best I have even driven. Kudos to Mazda for staying away from the CVT.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Been very happy with the CX-3 auto gearbox so far. It doesn't have the speed of a dual-clutch, but I wouldn't expect it to. I'm glad they used the six-speed instead of a CVT. Like everything else in the car, it's not mind-blowing, but it's well-engineered. Definitely near the top of the class.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD, Red/Parchment

post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Dont hurt me for a necroing here xD

I was wondering since its my first auto and manual transmission, is there more likely to be more wear from using manual (and sport) all the time pretty much, as opposed to auto? Is it safe to pretty much all the time revving it to 4k'ish before shifting (auto in sport mode usually is around there I believe). As much as I love having it in sport mode all the time, and manually shifting, if it causes any problems that I should know about, Id love to know.

Basically is it safe for this auto to be in manual all the time, with sport mode initiated always?

Also, any way to make it so sport mode turns on when you start the car, instead of having to switch it on all the time? Other than tampering with electronics of course.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #5 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
reving in manual up to 4k is ok just be careful of getting close to redlining. and currently there is no way to permanently engage sport mode as its directly programmed into the transmission control module and engine control module and not accessible through normal means like the infotainment system

Certified Mazda Technician
post #6 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Well I know that having it in sport mode and automatic, that it shifts itself somewhere between 4 and 5k rpm, so I figured its the best zone to do so, so Ive stuck with that and a bit lower when in manual. I just wanted to make sure that being in manual all the time doesnt cause more wear, or rather much more wear, than having it in auto.

Also, I assumed as much regarding the always on sport mode. Its not something electronically controlled I believe, so it probably wouldnt have a way to keep it on always.

Keep Calm and Zoom Zoom
post #7 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
you wont wear anything because although it is "manual mode" there are checks in place to keep it from destroying itself. 99% of the time your car and this can be said for most cars that they are designed to give the driver total control...most of the time. That was actually something my instructor mentioned as he was discussing computer controlled systems. in all the cars computer will always try to save itself from blowing up whether by full blowing the cooling fans, rev limiters, or limp mode these are designed to keep the car from going boom. even in manual mode its still being controlled via a computer so worry not. (unless check engine light is on then panic)

Certified Mazda Technician
post #8 of 8 Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
You will use more fuel and cause more wear in the long term by manually revving the engine. The whole point of the auto gearbox is to take human intervention out of the equation and in the case f skyactive, achieve lower fuel consumption and lower emissions. If you choose to override those settings then you undo all the good that the settings are intending to achieve. It is the intention of all vehicle manufacturers to do away with manual transmissions in the same way they did away with manual chokes so that it will eventually not be possible to override pre mapped control. Toyota already have a timing plan for that process.

My Mazda automatic is the best I've ever had, changing up early to get the best out of my diesel's low end torque. I also had a CX5 rental last year and was extremely impressed by how it did similar unlike autos of the past which seemed very random at times. There is a lot of logic and common sense to the mapping of these boxes and other than a little fun or a planned overtake, I see little need to interfere.

Snoogie. I know you are probably being a little flippant and half joking buddy, but telling people to panic at the sight of the engine check light is probably not a good idea.
Cyclone1410 and seadawg46 like this.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode