Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Push to Start

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Eidson82 
#1 ·
Yesterday after work my Push to Start button started flashing. I couldn't tell you the color of the flashing light due to color blindness. The master warning light then came on and then the check engine light. When i got home, I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and attempted to turn it back on but the engine wouldn't turn over. All the interior lights and radio came on though. This morning i get out to the car, and it starts up but the check engine light is still on. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be so i'll know what to expect when i take it in? Someone told me its just a key fob issue but to me, that wouldn't explain the engine light being on. I've only had the cx3 since January this year

#2 ·
Yesterday after work my Push to Start button started flashing. I couldn't tell you the color of the flashing light due to color blindness. The master warning light then came on and then the check engine light. When i got home, I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and attempted to turn it back on but the engine wouldn't turn over. All the interior lights and radio came on though. This morning i get out to the car, and it starts up but the check engine light is still on. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be so i'll know what to expect when i take it in? Someone told me its just a key fob issue but to me, that wouldn't explain the engine light being on. I've only had the cx3 since January this year[/QUOT

Is your CX3 a GT version with the advanced keyless entry system? Have you checked the manual to try and troubleshoot/determine the issue based on the symptoms you described? Also, when the engine wouldn’t turn on or fire up have you checked the battery? Possible that the battery may have been drained...not sure though about the check engine light staying on...is it a brand new CX3? You said you’ve only had it since Jan so that’ll be less than a year and still brand new I assume?

#4 ·
its a 2016 cx-3 touring. Check engine light is now off. This morning i got in the car and noticed it wasn't picking up that the key was present in the vehicle. It took a few pushes of the push to start for it to finally show up and the car started. My first thought was the car battery but all the lights and radio still come on. I did read some of the manual and it pretty much just says to take it to the dealership. Google search gives me all kinds of issues, i just wanted to be sure of what i'm getting into before i take it in. Even if its a key fob thing, that's 150$ to fix
Try and replace the keyfob battery with a new one (using a better brand like Energizer or Duracell) see if that'll help. Could be the sensors in the car is not picking up the signal emitted from the keyfob...

#3 ·
Yesterday after work my Push to Start button started flashing. I couldn't tell you the color of the flashing light due to color blindness. The master warning light then came on and then the check engine light. When i got home, I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and attempted to turn it back on but the engine wouldn't turn over. All the interior lights and radio came on though. This morning i get out to the car, and it starts up but the check engine light is still on. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be so i'll know what to expect when i take it in? Someone told me its just a key fob issue but to me, that wouldn't explain the engine light being on. I've only had the cx3 since January this year[/QUOT

Is your CX3 a GT version with the advanced keyless entry system? Have you checked the manual to try and troubleshoot/determine the issue based on the symptoms you described? Also, when the engine wouldn’t turn on or fire up have you checked the battery? Possible that the battery may have been drained...not sure though about the check engine light staying on...is it a brand new CX3? You said you’ve only had it since Jan so that’ll be less than a year and still brand new I assume?
its a 2016 cx-3 touring. Check engine light is now off. This morning i got in the car and noticed it wasn't picking up that the key was present in the vehicle. It took a few pushes of the push to start for it to finally show up and the car started. My first thought was the car battery but all the lights and radio still come on. I did read some of the manual and it pretty much just says to take it to the dealership. Google search gives me all kinds of issues, i just wanted to be sure of what i'm getting into before i take it in. Even if its a key fob thing, that's 150$ to fix

#5 ·
Try and replace the keyfob battery with a new one (using a better brand like Energizer or Duracell) see if that'll help. Could be the sensors in the car is not picking up the signal emitted from the keyfob...

I replaced the battery in both key fobs, with no luck. I got it into a local mechanics shop and after running tests and reading the code log, it turned out to be a bad brake switch. It was about 120$ in parts so not too bad. It is now starting like it should! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.