Cold air filter box for the Skyactive 2.0 petrol engine - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cold air filter box for the Skyactive 2.0 petrol engine

Hi all, has anyone fitted a cold air filter box on the 2.0 petrol engine - not only a open cone filter - but a complete air box with a better cold airflow without restrictions as seen on the standard filter box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-06-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
To my knowledge theres basically 3 aftermarket intakes (even if more exist itl be very similar style to one of these). Alot of them will share similar pros since they are an 'upgrade' from oem

CORKSPORT INTAKE
https://corksport.com/mazda-cx3-short-ram-intake.html
Basically just your average metal intake tube/pipe(?) with cone filter.

+Not rubbery weak oem tubing to throttle which easily discolors and on a older mazda of mine glazed over and cracked somehow lol
+Sound is fun for some
-You are practically sucking in hot air
-It will vibrate/rub on whatever the cone is resting on (watch corksport intake video starts on the cx3 and youll see it basically thrash around since no way to actually stabilize it and is only held by rubber connector to throttle
-Aesthetics impacted since youll see empty holes from oem box
-No actual power gains because in this day and age only a tune(and forced induction too really) can actually impact performance

AEM "COLD AIR" INTAKE
https://www.aemintakes.com/cold-air-...-intake-system
Similar as above but with 'heat shield'

+Same pros as above
+So called heat shield along with the kit
+More stabilized than generic tube+cone sri
-Heatshield is questionable
-Aesthetics is still hurt since random open spots are still left from oem setup
-Goodluck getting that gasket to stay down on the edges, has never perfectly stayed down on any vehicle Ive owned/seen with this
-No mount on the intake tube itself besides throttle connector, it only rests on the heat shield, not actually attached based on what Ive seen
-Inner Gasket around tubing is same weatherstripping as top but in a circle which will move out of place and not look as picture perfect as they make it seem.
-you NEED the inner gasket orelse you will hear horrible vibrations
-No actual power gains because in this day and age only a tune(and forced induction too really) can actually impact performance

***some foreign carbon fiber box Autoexe maybe?
(this link is for 1.5 diesel version but I think there was one for 2.0 skyactive too)
Dont remember what it was called but youll probably find it somewhere down the line inthe future. Dont know what is inside it either whether regular oem filter or cone. Its more of a looks type part but for the price youd have better luck just wrapping the oem box and air dam with carbon fiber vinyl or something.

+Probably very few actually installed because of ridiculous price
-Rip wallet $1k+ with international shipping

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2019, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I had a AEM cold air intake before on a honda del sol, the filter went into the wheel passage to get some real cold air.

It's funny they call this a Cold air intake, to me it's more a Short ram intake.

But to go along with a proper flex fuel Tune, it might be a right move to replace OEM filter. thanks for the link

2.0L soon to come E85 Flex Fuel and 160hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
The OEM intake is already a cold-air intake. That is, it is fed by air from outside the engine bay and it's pretty well sealed up so there's very little chance of bringing in hot air from the engine bay.

The Corksport setup is exactly bass-ackwards because, as Batcave mentioned, there's no sealed box preventing hot air from the engine bay from being sucked in.

The AEM unit is better but there's no way it doesn't leak hot air into the intake.

Another thing to think about:
Good-Win Racing doesn't sell a cold-air intake for the ND1 Miata (I just bought one so I'm doing tons of research). Why? Because there was no benefit seen on the dyno with whole intake kits or with just removing the air filter from the stock intake.

This isn't surprising given how much Mazda leans on Helmholtz resonance tuning to get the most amount of power from a given engine design on most/all of their cars. I'd be surprised if any aftermarket CX-3 intake was actually better in any objective, measurable way (i.e.: not aesthetics) than factory. In a lot of cases, the perceived power gains come from fooling the MAF by screwing with the airflow around it.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPreppie View Post
The OEM intake is already a cold-air intake. That is, it is fed by air from outside the engine bay and it's pretty well sealed up so there's very little chance of bringing in hot air from the engine bay.

The Corksport setup is exactly bass-ackwards because, as Batcave mentioned, there's no sealed box preventing hot air from the engine bay from being sucked in.

The AEM unit is better but there's no way it doesn't leak hot air into the intake.

Another thing to think about:
Good-Win Racing doesn't sell a cold-air intake for the ND1 Miata (I just bought one so I'm doing tons of research). Why? Because there was no benefit seen on the dyno with whole intake kits or with just removing the air filter from the stock intake.

This isn't surprising given how much Mazda leans on Helmholtz resonance tuning to get the most amount of power from a given engine design on most/all of their cars. I'd be surprised if any aftermarket CX-3 intake was actually better in any objective, measurable way (i.e.: not aesthetics) than factory. In a lot of cases, the perceived power gains come from fooling the MAF by screwing with the airflow around it.
You are absolutely right...and this dates back all the way to the NA Miata...which I also own.
You will see only very few people putting in a non-sealed air box.

2.0L soon to come E85 Flex Fuel and 160hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode