How to replace leaking air compressor? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How to replace leaking air compressor?

My A/C stopped working and the dealer found the issue is caused by leaking compressor. I am a second owner and the leak is likely due to an accident the previous owner had. I do not have a warranty anymore, and I was quoted $1,100+tax for the parts and work.
I am thinking to buy a used or new part online and change it myself. Then I will just go to the local auto shop to fill in the A/C system.

Is this a crazy plan? If not, would you buy a new compressor assembly new for $510 or opt out to reconditioned part for $275?
NEW: https://www.wesell.parts/oem-parts/m...saAgGwEALw_wcB
ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2018-C...CW8y:rk:2:pf:1

Last, do you or any of your Mazda friends have a diagram with step by step instructions on how to replace the compressor?

Best,
Marcin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I would first make sure exactly where the leak is coming from. You can use a fluorescent dye that will help you diagnose this. These cars have faulty condensers (there is a TSB if you search this forum) so many 2016 CX-3s have A/C issues.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I am pretty sure it is the leak on the compressor. I think it is related to the fact that I know the car was in front collision in the past and the condenser was replaced after. The dealer showed me the leak on the compressor. There was a lot of greenish fluid all over the compressor and under it. When I filled the system past summer the shop added dye and there are no other visible spots with the leaks.
However, I am not sure how the mechanic at the dealership would be sure the leak is not limited to connections on O rings to the compressor. How would he know that the compressor itself is leaking... Maybe that is something I should investigate more.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I recently added a whole can of Freon to my car. Seems to be a problem with the a/c system in these cars. Should last a lot longer than that.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn’t be so sure about the compressor. There has been a whole raft of issues with air conditioning on these cars and none have been compressor related from memory. They were all condenser or evaporator related. Secondly, there are strict procedures for re gassing which requires the system to be fully evacuated first then the correct weight of refrigerant to be added. It’s up to you but you might be wasting a lot of time and expense doing it. I’d follow the testing route suggested above.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I went with the less expensive alternative. The clutch was still spinning which means compressor was still working so added refrigerate until it was in the green on gauge. So far so good. If it holds for another 3 years I’ll be fine with that. Refrigerate with gauge was $35.00.

Tags
2016 , compressor , cx-3 , dyi , mazda

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode