User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy 2019 CX-3 panic - lemon?

I bought a CX-3 sport in May. My first Mazda, and a fun little car. Except every few weeks, on the first drive of the day (usually to work), it goes into panic mode: around a mile from home (after being parked outside all night), around 30-40 mph, the hazard lights go on and the horn honks - in unison. I have to pull over and turn off the car to get it to stop; no lights or indicators on the dashboard show the panic is happening.

The last two times this happened, Iíve had my adult son in the car with me, so I have a witness. Anyway, Iíve taken it into the dealer three times now, The first time, I left it overnight, and they could not replicate the problem; the second time, they just replaced the battery in the key fob; I left it there yesterday to see if it may just be a lemon at this point.

So has anyone else had this issue, or know how to solve it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Cell phone video ... electrical short somewhere?

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, we don't have video of it happening. The dealer service dept will keep the car until they can replicate the problem, or 30 business days (re: lemon law), so at least I have a loaner. Dealer has never heard of the problem, and their diagnostics never indicate any issues - so far.

post #4 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Sorry to hear that, is there any chance that the keyfob might be defective like a sticky pad under the button leading to awkward contact/short? It seems really strange that it would go into panic mode while running because the cars I have the unfortunate experience of being flawed while running would go into a limp mode instead where the dash board would light up and transmission shifts like im hitting a deer or each time it shifts. I would wager that if its not the keyfob then theres a serious wiring issue/short somewhere which was messed up by the factory or during transportation etc who knows. It seems like its either a really simply unexpected fix like keyfob replacement or too much work worthy of repairs since theyd be taking everything apart to see where the issue is.

Hope it all works out and it doesnt end up being a lemon, even if it does you get a replacement which is better than having the internals taken apart while they attempt "repairs".

It is a bit funny that they think replacing the battery on a keyfob is going to do anything. You can turn the car on even with the keyfob dead/no battery and if anything it would confirm whether the issue was internal circuitry in the fob or not.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #5 of 17 Old 11-24-2018, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Does it do it in the same place? There is one place on my drive home from work where if a stop in a certain lane, all the parking sensors and various other dash warnings strike up. I’ve put this down to the presence of strong wireless signals just at that location as the car never does it anywhere else.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #6 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
FIXED: This is the Answer to Sudden Panic Alarm Problem!!!

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry I hadn't posted sooner. (This is my first post since getting a 2019 CX-3 in July.)

This happened to me numerous times--the first time was a week after I took delivery!! Here's what it is and is not:

--I took it to the dealer and they replaced the body control module because that is what controls everything that was going off. That did NOT fix the problem. It started happening again.

--I recorded video of it happening as I was driving on 95S/128 in Waltham, MA during rush hour, and showed it to the dealer.
https://youtu.be/xbD28qBE_68

--By this point, the dealer service dept. had a bulletin from Mazda HQ to check the TPMS sensors. I know. It sounds crazy. Apparently, on the 2019s, some of the TPMS sensors are transmitting at the same frequency as the car's alarm. And it's causing it to go into panic mode. It sounds illogical, I know. They traced it to one TPMS and replaced it. It has NOT happened since then.

So, please share... if you have a '19 model and your car starts honking and flashing the hazards while you're driving, tell your dealer to check for TSBs regarding the replacement of a TPMS that is interfering with the alarm system, causing a panic mode while driving.

Hope that helps!!
Sarah likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 06:07 PM

Posting as a quick reply in case the formal reply isn't approved. I'm a new member and had wanted to post this earlier...

This happened to me numerous times--the first time was a week after I took delivery!! Here's what it is and is not:

--I took it to the dealer and they replaced the body control module because that is what controls everything that was going off. That did NOT fix the problem. It started happening again.

--I recorded video of it happening as I was driving on 95S/128 in Waltham, MA during rush hour, and showed it to the dealer.

--By this point, the dealer service dept. had a bulletin from Mazda HQ to check the TPMS sensors. I know. It sounds crazy. Apparently, on the 2019s, some of the TPMS sensors are transmitting at the same frequency as the car's alarm. And it's causing it to go into panic mode. It sounds illogical, I know. They traced it to one TPMS and replaced it. It has NOT happened since then.

So, please share... if you have a '19 model and your car starts honking and flashing the hazards while you're driving, tell your dealer to check for TSBs regarding the replacement of a TPMS that is interfering with the alarm system, causing a panic mode while driving.

Wellesley Mazda in Wellesley, Mass. figured it out so have your dealer call them if this doesn't ring a bell.

Hope that helps!!

Last edited by metrowestcx3; 11-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2018, 03:38 PM

PS, here is the detail of the parts from the invoice:

1 BHA4-37-140A Sensor, Wheel
1 GS1D-37-141A Nut, Valve

Notes they included:
"Contacted Mazda hotline, faulty left front TPMS sensor, replaced sensor, verified repair."

Hope that helps!
Sarah and MeliM like this.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Here’s what’s been happening (or not happening) in the past week+ since the dealer has had my car:
The dealer had no idea what to do with my car, so I search my VIN number on the National Traffic & Highway Safety website. I found that the September 21, 2018 Manufacturer Communication describes what happens to my CX-3; so I then called Mazda’s 800 number (222-5500), and I had the phone rep put me on hold while he looked up that Manufacturer Communication. He told me that Mazda found a “solution” to the problem on November 17 (4 days before I left the car at the dealer), and said he called and left a message with the dealer service manager, who then apparently ordered the replacement electronic control module (ECM) from somewhere called Tech Line.
Meanwhile, my assigned contact in the dealer service department and the Mazda phone rep have called me every day to just say essentially nothing. The replacement part has not yet arrived at the dealership. My contact in the service department even asked me to ask the Mazda rep when they can expect to receive the part!* Wouldn’t someone have a shipment tracking number?!* *
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Sorry to hear that, is there any chance that the keyfob might be defective like a sticky pad under the button leading to awkward contact/short? It seems really strange that it would go into panic mode while running because the cars I have the unfortunate experience of being flawed while running would go into a limp mode instead where the dash board would light up and transmission shifts like im hitting a deer or each time it shifts. I would wager that if its not the keyfob then theres a serious wiring issue/short somewhere which was messed up by the factory or during transportation etc who knows. It seems like its either a really simply unexpected fix like keyfob replacement or too much work worthy of repairs since theyd be taking everything apart to see where the issue is.

Hope it all works out and it doesnt end up being a lemon, even if it does you get a replacement which is better than having the internals taken apart while they attempt "repairs".

It is a bit funny that they think replacing the battery on a keyfob is going to do anything. You can turn the car on even with the keyfob dead/no battery and if anything it would confirm whether the issue was internal circuitry in the fob or not.
Thank you. I appreciate your advice. I'm glad I found this forum. Anyway, the dealer has had my car for over a week now. I just posted an update to this thread with more details.

Tags
cx-3 , lemon , panic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode