When am I out of gas? - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
When am I out of gas?

I got a bit careless and reached a gas station with the display saying I was 5 miles to empty. I then "filled" it, putting 9.7 gallons in my 11.9 gallon gas tank.

Did I have 2 gallons left, or did the pump just not really fill it? If the former, how much of that 2 gallons is usable (ie. how many miles did I really have left?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I am going to assume your low fuel light was on. Do you remember what the range said when it did light up? in the almost two years of ownership I have not let it get that low so but according to the online CX-3 manual there is 2.3 gallons left (around) when it does go on. My guess is you still had fuel left; maybe not 2 gallons but close to that amount.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I noticed the light on at 11 miles left; after driving 6 miles to the gas station, it said 5 miles. I guess that inspires confidence.

Okay, so 2 gallons of gas left makes the numbers add up properly; but is that 2 gallons of gas usable?
I was plenty nervous about reaching a station, but if I really had some usable gas left...

This is the first time I have ever gotten that low, so I don't plan on making a habit of it. I know there is sediment in the bottom of the tank and letting a gas pump run dry isn't good for it.

20 years ago I took two gallons of gas with me, determined to see how many miles I had left when the light came on in my RAV4. After 28 miles I passed a station with the next one 10 miles away. I lost my nerve and filled up; so I never found out.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Probably not every drop, but I'd have to believe if you have two gallons left, maybe 1 and 3/4 to 1 and 7/8 of it is usable. Just guessing actually, but as mentioned, letting the tank run dry or almost is not a good idea.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #5 of 5 Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
On a couple of occasions I have arrived at the petrol station with 0 (zero) miles range left.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode