AEM cold air intake - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
AEM cold air intake

Has anyone tried this intake for the CX 3? It works on the CX 3 2.0 skyactiv as well as the Mazda 2 and Scion IA which have the 1.5 skyactiv. it comes with a nice heat shield that also integrates the factory air snorkel. The best intake I've seen for the CX 3 yet.

https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/pr...x?prod=21-804C

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

I emailed Matt at Orange Virus Tuning to see if he's had any experience with it.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/ap...x?prod=21-804C

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Im curious to how this would look installed as well. One thing I am not too fond of is the rubber weatherstripping/gasket on top of the heat shield. The pictures make it seem like it will be a flush end install like shown but in my past experience with these type products, it never sits flat and rises above the heatshield on the bend making it look like such a cheap and half baked mod.

Also it seems like just the heat shield is bolted on/secured to the car. I can only imagine the intake shaking and rattling since it just seems rested on the hole cut out, which again has the weatherstrip material which probably wont look like that in actual application. Maybe its just me but I would prefer it to be secured and not potentially yanking around on the throttle body even if just a little.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Actually this would be much more secure than the corksport or jbr intake. At least the heat shield would give the actual intake some support. The other two mentioned have absolutely nothing giving them support other than the hose holding them up. They can be able to just flop around in there with nothing to secure them. Only corksport offers an optional box for their intake but that brings the total cost far far beyond what the aem intake costs.

Food for thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Im curious to how this would look installed as well. One thing I am not too fond of is the rubber weatherstripping/gasket on top of the heat shield. The pictures make it seem like it will be a flush end install like shown but in my past experience with these type products, it never sits flat and rises above the heatshield on the bend making it look like such a cheap and half baked mod.

Also it seems like just the heat shield is bolted on/secured to the car. I can only imagine the intake shaking and rattling since it just seems rested on the hole cut out, which again has the weatherstrip material which probably wont look like that in actual application. Maybe its just me but I would prefer it to be secured and not potentially yanking around on the throttle body even if just a little.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Talked to Matt at OVT. He said it is pretty much the same as the other intakes in gains. That is they all do pretty much nothing unless conditions are optimal. I'll spend my money elsewhere, but it is nice to know we have options. I guess if someone wanted some intake sound, the look, etc. it would be worth the try. Summit racing has them here in the U.S. for a good price. So does Amazon.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Yah, based on the parts diagram, the OE intake is already a "cold air intake".
The designs that put a cone filter inside a little gasketed box can't possibly work better than OE as a cold air intake in any measurable way.
Maybe they're less restrictive but it's not like a 2L engine is pulling tons of air at the engine RPMs people actually care about.

https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...category=24716

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode