User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil Change

My wife’s car is a 2016 CX3 GT. She is a therapist in a home health settings. She got her car Aug 2016 and now May 2018 its running in 78k mileage. Yes... she drives a lot.
We usually change oil every two and half month and thats around 7-8k. I was thinking to make it every 3 month which is more likely 10k. Anyone can tell me this is still safe? Or should i stick to my 7-8k? Or whats the maximum mileage you guys recommend?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Yes she does drive a lot. So my question to you is what type of driving does she do with the car? Does she do a lot of highway long distance driving for long periods of time or is it a lot of slow speed stop and go driving with a lot of short trips thrown in there?

If it is a lot of highway long distance driving then stretching out a couple thousand kms and/or an extra 2 weeks is no biggie, if she does a lot of short trips with constant start and restarts during her drives to appointments and stuff then stick with your current schedule.

The idea is to try and get the car up to operating temperature and allow it to run at those temps for long periods of time so any impurities and moisture in the oil can be burnt and allows the oil to properly lubricate all major engine components. Driving short trips and not letting the car warm up develops moisture in the oil and will cause accelerated wear of those major components.

Tony
mainemanx and skyking like this.

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500
post #3 of 12 Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
Yes she does drive a lot. So my question to you is what type of driving does she do with the car? Does she do a lot of highway long distance driving for long periods of time or is it a lot of slow speed stop and go driving with a lot of short trips thrown in there?

If it is a lot of highway long distance driving then stretching out a couple thousand kms and/or an extra 2 weeks is no biggie, if she does a lot of short trips with constant start and restarts during her drives to appointments and stuff then stick with your current schedule.

The idea is to try and get the car up to operating temperature and allow it to run at those temps for long periods of time so any impurities and moisture in the oil can be burnt and allows the oil to properly lubricate all major engine components. Driving short trips and not letting the car warm up develops moisture in the oil and will cause accelerated wear of those major components.

Tony
Her typical routine is HOME to 1st patient is about 65 miles. She will spend one hour per patient. So there will be more likely one hour rest for the cx3. 2nd patient to last is about 2-15miles of distance and spending an hour each. And last patient back to HOME is about 50miles.
Its a combination of long driving and short and stop if i can consider of 1 hr every stop. Driving backroad and city driving.
I set my change oil in 9k this month... so its not a good idea? It used to be 6-7k.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I think you are good to stretch it out those extra thousand k's/couple weeks more before a change. She's starting with a decent 60mile drive for an hour or so. Shutting the car down for that 1 hour or so at her first appointment will not allow the car to cool down too much.

Her second appointment is shorter and she finishes her day with another decent long drive home so I think you are good.

The only other thing I would think off is depending where you are (during the winter months if you have a winter where it snows or temps drop down near or below 0'C/32'F or colder) invest in a block heater with a timer so that she can start the car first thing in the morning and the engine will be kinda warm, that will really help with her first 60 mile drive to her first appointment the rest of her driving day won't be that much of an issue after that.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I think the best idea here is to just send out your oil for a used oil analysis. Then you will know for sure how much more life (if any) is left in the oil when you change it. Personally, I have the oil change interval set to "flexible" and I get around 10k miles before the wrench light comes on letting me know it is time to change. I use the OE Mazda (Idemitsu) 0w20 oil and filter (not Mazda Value). This is the longest oil change interval I've ever had in any of my cars, so at first it felt really weird (living on the edge!). But the oil "looks" fine after 10k, and there is very little if any consumption over that period. I may send out a used oil analysis this time around, but I no longer worry about this!
post #6 of 12 Old 11-05-2018, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Wondering what your guys recommendation for intervals between oil changes? I do a lot of long distance driving, most of my driving around 40-80 kms; As I live on the out skirts of the city. However, a lot of that driving is hard, spirited, mountainous driving. If I'm honest I almost always drive the car in manual mode with the paddles in order to keep the revs higher and within the power band. As of now I'm changing the oil between 6-7 thousand kms. Let me know what you guys do?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
I'm using the flexible schedule and letting the computer tell me when to do it. I use Mazda-branded 0w-20 with moly.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have 65k Miles on mine now. Drive about 80 miles a day for work. I change my oil every 5k - 6k miles with Castro gtx 0-w20. Personally I think pushing that oil past 6k miles is scary. And after 3k miles I check the oil and it's usually a 1/4 quart low.

2016 Mazda CX3 AWD Touring
2016 Mazda CX5 AWD GT
post #9 of 12 Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I work for a home health setting as well... I usually change my oil every 4-5 months... I hardly reach 6k km per change. Car is reaching 5 years next fall with no concerns so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#zoomzoom #2016cx-3 #ceramicmetallic #GS
What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remorej View Post
I work for a home health setting as well... I usually change my oil every 4-5 months... I hardly reach 6k km per change. Car is reaching 5 years next fall with no concerns so far.
I have a 2019 GS AWD model for 6 mos now bought brand new...in your 5yrs of ownership have you had any reliability issues esp the AC issues the CX3 has been talked about? Just curious...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode