1Likes
  • 1 Post By NotAPreppie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
K&N 69-6033TTK in 2018 CX-3

Hi all, just got my hands on a new 2018 CX-3.

I have been looking around the web, can't seem to find much info. I am curious if the part mentioned in the thread title will fit a CX-3, as I know it is intended for a Mazda 3. The posts I have managed to find mentioned it fitting but no specifics as to whether the heat shield mounted properly without modification.

Not looking for debate between different products or whether its worth it or not. Just looking for info on potential compatibility

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Link to mentioned product https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...EaAnW3EALw_wcB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
The CX-3 uses a different filter than the 3 according to K&N. Different part number. I did not compare with a 3 to see if there truly is a difference.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
I seriously doubt it will fit. The CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2, not the Mazda 3, so the physical dimensions and location will probably not match up. With enough customization and fabricobbling, you could probably get it to work but I'll eat my hat if it's plug'n'play.

With that out of the way...

I cringe every time I see somebody with a K&N Typhoon because K&N did such an awful job on the Typhoon for the RX-8 application (the air stream is too turbulent which screws with the MAF sensor and it lets hot air into the airbox).

Also, K&N oiled filters are really only good if your engine likes eating dirt...
K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

I know this isn't what you want but I think it's important for the benefit of other readers.
SlyCoopers likes this.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.

Last edited by NotAPreppie; 04-18-2018 at 05:30 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input. And I don't mind constructive info like that. Just had bad experiences on other forums, too much bickering. What about the corksport short ram made specifically for the CX-3? Any experience?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Great question about the corksport short ram, I was looking at this aswell and would like some input to if its any good or not

2018 CX-3 GT in Crystal White Pearl Mica.
Mods
Lowered 2" on Corksport springs
Corksport axle back exhaust
LED rear reflectors
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Comparing the CorkSport product photos and the OEM parts diagram, I fail to see how the CorkSport is a significant improvement.

The OEM intake is already a "cold air intake" in that it draws air directly from outside the engine bay. The SporkSport unit doesn't do this. My guess is that any gains you get from better airflow will be offset by the 100F+ increase in IAT.

Also, the marketing wank on this is annoying. It's not a "ram intake" because no air is going to be forced into it at speed. And, did you notice that there are no performance gains listed? Performance parts companies have no problem touting real or illusory performance gains for their parts. They can safely put up nonsense dyno sheets that nobody could replicate since every dyno, weather, car, and zodiac moment is different. So why have SporkSport not even bothered?

If all you want to do is have different/louder intake noise, this will probably do it. But do you notice how the OEM snorkel is such a funny shape before the filter? Why not make it a smooth pipe with simple bends for better laminar flow? My hunch is that they are doing a limited amount of Helmholtz tuning (something they did a metric crap-ton of on the RX-8) to improve power at certain RPM ranges.

It might help if you tell us what you're looking to accomplish. Appearance? Sound? Performance? All of the above?

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah really just looking for that bit more agressive sound that I suspect it will give. I know the performace different really won't be noticeable if any at all compared to stock.

Should have stated that in the first post, apologies.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I just modified the plastic cover between the grill and core support in front of the factory airbox scoop to pull more air from the grill. It will also allow for a little ram effect at speed. I will try to get pics sometime. When I was datalogging for my OV tune, my inlet temps were often below ambient at speed.

I use a K&N, but mostly because I like keeping a clean filter in my cars and it will last much longer. I keep an eye for oil on the MAF sensor element as well.

As far as dirt in my engine, I chance my synthetic every 5000 miles, or sooner if it looks too dirty or diluted, and of course check it often. Clean oil makes for a happy engine and it is cheap to change IMHO, so why keep it fresh.

Don't lecture me on Blackstone Labs oil testing, service intervals, etc. I have been working on engines all my life and I know clean oil is an engine's lifeblood. If it ever starts to get dirty quicker, I will switch to an earlier interval. We happily fill our tanks with gas for about the same price as an oil change and a good filter, so to me it is cheap peace of mind.

Rant over...

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.

Tags
air , cai , intake

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode