User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2018, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Charging Battery Malfunction

So while I overtook a car on my drive home, I hear some tumbling and bumping in under my hood. The battery light turned on, and on my display it says "Charging Battery Malfunction". I was able to drive home but I called my Mazda dealership to notify them and they requested for the vehicle to be towed there so they could take a look. Called mazda roadside assist and now my car is sitting waiting to be assessed tomorrow. Has anyone gotten this? Is this covered under warranty? My car is 2.5 years old. The service rep said the alternator belt must have came off/broke. I'm shocked at how soon this belt apparently broke. Is this covered under new car warranty? Estimated costs? UGHHH. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#zoomzoom #2016cx-3 #ceramicmetallic #GS
What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2018, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I think it is a little weird that your belt came off or broke, do you have a lot of miles on the car?

They should check the idler pulley when they replace the belt.

Cost should be the price of a belt and maybe an hour of labor. If your a little handy you could save money and do it yourself. Don't think warranty will cover it.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
38k Km, which i find small considering the age of this car ughhhhhh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Presumably the old belt has vanished ... if not, it might yield a clue.

A new belt lists for US$29. The belt has an automatic tensioner (lists for US$136 ), so presumably the belt wasn't loose/maladjusted.

Could it be the tensioner failed? If so, Mazda should replace both the tensioner and belt under warranty.

My 2˘ :--)

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 03-24-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Presumably the old belt has vanished ... if not, it might yield a clue.

A new belt lists for US$29. The belt has an automatic tensioner (lists for US$136 ), so presumably the belt wasn't loose/maladjusted.

Could it be the tensioner failed? If so, Mazda should replace both the tensioner and belt under warranty.

My 2˘ :--)

UPDATE:

so after having my car towed to the dealership, they said it would take an hour to fix and said they it may need a new alternator belt based on my story. An hour passed and I went to pick it up. When asked what had happened to the belt, they couldn't say because it had flew away (d/t the wind or whatever), but they did put a new one under at no cost b/c of "New Car Warranty". The bill stated a $135 charge if it wasn't. Car is back to working order!!

post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2018, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remorej View Post
UPDATE:

so after having my car towed to the dealership, they said it would take an hour to fix and said they it may need a new alternator belt based on my story. An hour passed and I went to pick it up. When asked what had happened to the belt, they couldn't say because it had flew away (d/t the wind or whatever), but they did put a new one under at no cost b/c of "New Car Warranty". The bill stated a $135 charge if it wasn't. Car is back to working order!!
That's certainly good news ... although one would like to know why it broke/came off in the first place.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode