User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Thumbs up Getting an Orange Virus tune

I purchased the tuning kit and the add-on throttle upgrade to the tune (check out the details on their site). This is an extensive process, but I have all of the needed information to Orange Virus and I am waiting on my base tune. I will then datalog and we will go back and forth through a few tunes until it is just right.

I will keep you guys up to date as I go through the process.

The next update will come after I have installed the base tune and tried it out.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...=6032770629659

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Nice!! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it. If you ever want to go further, their ND 2.0 miata cams will work in a CX-3, and they could tune for a header as well if we ever got one made.
post #3 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Cool

You do realize that the 2.0 comes with a tubular tri-Y header from the factory.

post #4 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDutchman View Post

It does, but there have been significant gains showing with an aftermarket design. Of course a lot of that is probably from the removal of the catalytic converter or replacement with an aftermarket high flow cat.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda 6 Grand Touring 2.5 Turbo 35% tint, OEM splash guards, LED bulbs inside and license plate, Orange Virus Tune (coming soon), Corksport intake (coming soon), modification to area behind the grill to bring more air to the stock airbox scoop with K&N filter, Maxpider 3D floor mats, G2 silver caliper coating.
post #5 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraveSingletrack View Post
Nice!! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it. If you ever want to go further, their ND 2.0 miata cams will work in a CX-3, and they could tune for a header as well if we ever got one made.

Yea, many of the Miata parts are tempting, but besides the cams, most will not adapt. The thing I would like to see is Edelbrock market their Miata (ND) supercharger for front wheel drive/all wheel drive Skyactiv applications. The CX-3 would be amazing with the added horsepower and torque from a mild blower kit. Plus, the install is significantly easier than a turbo, and a supercharger would be well suited to the CX-3 CUV application.

Last edited by TORQUERULES; 03-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.
post #6 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDutchman View Post

[IMG][stock header image[/IMG]

Indeed it does, and that doesn't mean it's the most efficient from a HP perspective, in fact based on what the MX-5 is seeing with gains, it's far from it.

CX-3 stock HP: 146hp (crank)
ND MX-5 Stock HP: 158hp (crank)

ON the ND miata, they are getting 180whp (wheel horsepower) with just a header and tune. Baseline dyno on the same dyno was 139whp. So a gain of 40whp, and putting the car at well over 200hp at the crank. To put it in perspective, the good-win header equipped car is making the same horsepower at 4200rpm as a stock car is at 6500rpm. That's BIG.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=610631

Now odds are given the engine bay and transverse mount of the CX-3 engine, as efficient of a header design as the Good-Win header might be impossible, but I would still bet there are plenty of gains to be had with an aftermarket header and tune.
post #7 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUERULES View Post
Yea, many of the Miata parts are tempting, but besides the cams, most will not adapt. The thing I would like to see is Edelbrock market their Miata (ND) supercharger for front wheel drive/all wheel drive Skyactiv applications. The CX-3 would be amazing with the added horsepower and torque from a mild blower kit. Plus, the install is significantly easier than a turbo, and a supercharger would be will suited to the CX-3 CUV application.
I'd love to see this too, although I'm guessing if the CX-3 gets one FI application it'll be a turbo as it's easier to plumb at put the turbo etc where you can fit it in the engine bay. A bit tougher with a belt driven blower, fewer options. SC would be my vote as well though. Honestly if the CX-3 could get to 180AWHP with a custom header (currently not made) + cams + tune, that'd be a pretty dang fun car.
post #8 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraveSingletrack View Post
I'd love to see this too, although I'm guessing if the CX-3 gets one FI application it'll be a turbo as it's easier to plumb at put the turbo etc where you can fit it in the engine bay. A bit tougher with a belt driven blower, fewer options. SC would be my vote as well though. Honestly if the CX-3 could get to 180AWHP with a custom header (currently not made) + cams + tune, that'd be a pretty dang fun car.
Yea, cams and a header would be nice as that would be MUCH cheaper than the $5000 or so dollars a supercharger from Edelbrock would cost, or a decent turbo kit if there was one.

I have noticed that the cams are no longer listed on Orange Virus' website. If I remember correctly they had them for the ND Miata as well as the 2.5 Skyactiv.

Other vendors might have some or be developing them.

I am also going to look into upgrading the exhaust. Racing Beat is finally updating their axle-back to work with the AWD version of the CX-3. Of course that is mainly for sound as I doubt you would gain 2hp there, but I am going to also eventually replace the second cat with a straight pipe; that should uncork things a little. Actually a better designed header and a full 2.5" exhaust would be perfect. 3" would be overkill on the 2.0 unless you added a turbo.

post #9 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 08:21 PM

I think they make the cams in batches, and don't always have them, but I could be wrong.
post #10 of 74 Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Sub'd as I am interested in this as well...

2018 Touring in Ceramic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AUDIO BUILD IN PROGRESS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode