Distance To Empty has really dropped and I wonder why! - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-07-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Distance To Empty has really dropped and I wonder why!

I've owned my vehicle for nearly 16 months and up until about two months ago, I was able to see the DTE as 308 miles once I filled the tank. I have noticed the last few weeks that it is saying 281. I have not really changed my driving habits. I still have the same commute to work. I do have a slight lead-foot so I have been utilizing cruise control and keeping my speed within 5 miles of the posted limit. Can someone help me understand what else I need to do?

Maybe I am just not understanding it correctly. If I reset all my mileage trackers each time I fill the tank...why won't the DTE got back to where it used to be a month ago...308? And I must say that I agree with others that this tank is very small. I have to gas up an average of three times a week. But my commute to work is 72 miles round trip. I also hate that there is not warning for the wiper fluid. You have to check it manually. Seriously?
TiGrayMSM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-10-2018, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooki33 View Post
I've owned my vehicle for nearly 16 months and up until about two months ago, I was able to see the DTE as 308 miles once I filled the tank. I have noticed the last few weeks that it is saying 281. I have not really changed my driving habits. I still have the same commute to work. I do have a slight lead-foot so I have been utilizing cruise control and keeping my speed within 5 miles of the posted limit. Can someone help me understand what else I need to do?

Maybe I am just not understanding it correctly. If I reset all my mileage trackers each time I fill the tank...why won't the DTE got back to where it used to be a month ago...308? And I must say that I agree with others that this tank is very small. I have to gas up an average of three times a week. But my commute to work is 72 miles round trip. I also hate that there is not warning for the wiper fluid. You have to check it manually. Seriously?
NO washer fluid light ?

I thought that was only overseas. I have one (page 4-26 on North American owners manual)

Gas Mileage ?

First deep freeze in 16 months ? Not sure how bad weather has been where you are, but warming up and slipping and sliding reduces my gas mileage every winter.

2016 Soul Red CX-3 GT with technology package (Canadian specs)

Type: DOHC-16V in-line, 4-cylinder
Bore Stroke: 83.5 91.2 mm (3.29 3.59 in)
Displacement: 1,997.6 ml (1,997.6 cc)
Compression ratio: 13.0
post #3 of 18 Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooki33 View Post

Have you checked your tire pressure? Might have dropped with the recent deep-freeze.

As for the wiper fluid warning light, that's bizarre. I have one.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!

post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Have you checked your tire pressure? Might have dropped with the recent deep-freeze.

As for the wiper fluid warning light, that's bizarre. I have one.
Interesting observation. Okay, for those of you who state they have low wiper fluid warning light: Has anyone actually seen it lit? That's the $64,000 question. My owners manual does describe the low wiper fluid light on page 4-26 however there is that pesky asterisk preceding which indicates "some models". Now is that "some models" such as GT versus Sport everywhere, OR maybe some GT models in some markets (countries), OR perhaps just some markets (any trim). From my Acura days, isn't that washer fluid warning light required in Canada? Anyway, my question again is: has anyone ever had it actually light up? Reason is that in my 2017 GT, there is the outline of that indicator light (low washer fluid); it is directly under the gas cap warning light. It has never lit on mine and a few weeks back I let the washer fluid get pretty low to try to see if it would light-up. Nope. So I just filled it as I was going on a 300 mile trip up north and I needed to make sure the washers would work if required. BTW, my washer reservoir jug has a crazy dipstick of sorts attached to the cover to indicate current level, so maybe that's a clue as to the warning light.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #5 of 18 Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Or not. There is both a low oil pressure warning light and an oil dipstick....

post #6 of 18 Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Interesting observation. Okay, for those of you who state they have low wiper fluid warning light: Has anyone actually seen it lit?
I have seen it lit. And was tickled to find out that the reservoir holds an entire ~1-gal container of the stuff when I refilled it. No more half-full jugs sliding around in the back!

Maybe you didn't let the fluid get low enough? It does hold a lot.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
post #7 of 18 Old 01-12-2018, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I have seen it lit. And was tickled to find out that the reservoir holds an entire ~1-gal container of the stuff when I refilled it. No more half-full jugs sliding around in the back!

Probably didn't let the level go low enough. I know I added way less than one gallon and the level was right at the top of the filler neck.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #8 of 18 Old 01-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
I emptied the washer fluid tank in mine a while back and no light came on. \_(ツ)_/

We've been having some awful cold temperatures in Illinois... any chance your DTE drop happened around the same time as our extended cold snap? It could just be the extended warm-up time coupled with the loss of pressure from the tires. The rule of thumb is that you lose ~1 psi for every 10F drop in temps. So, if you set your pressures at 70F and it's been 10F, you've lost 6 psi.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Disregarding the washer fluid thread jack, most of the comments above directly relate to changing the mpg. I suspect the drop the OP noticed is due to the effects of cold weather on engine efficiency, longer commutes in slower traffic, and increased idling. When I lived in Alaska my winter mpg was 3 to 4 lower than in the summer.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

To be honest I'd give up a half gallon on that reservoir if I could get it back on the gas tank of my AWD!
Sarah likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode