• 1 Post By Kevincredible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-29-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lightweight Crank Pulleys

I've run lightweight crank pulleys in my previous cars before, but a quick search for one that works with the CX-3 yields no results. Do the pulleys designed for the Mazda 3 with the same 2.0L Skyactiv engine work with our cars as well?

Also, has anyone had experience with using one on an automatic, or even with this engine? I'd like to know how effective it is.

2017 Mazda CX-3 AWD Touring with Tech Package (Deep Crystal Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-29-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
It's the same engine so it should work.

Whether it will do what you want is anyone's guess. Is this just lighter or is it also and underdrive pulley?

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
From what I've seen, they're only lighter weight. Corksport claims their crank pulley is 60% lighter, but I'm not too familiar with the quality of their products. I'm curious to see if anyone has added one to our engine and if it's easy to access in the bay.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Miscellaneous Ramblings: I would think the rotating mass of the drive pulley would have been included in the calculation of the appropriate-sized flywheel ... of course you can also get lightened flywheels, at least for your manual gearbox folks.

In yet another reference to the good ol' days, for very short runs you simply removed the fan/generator belt on your Volkswagen Beetle ... the rich boys had lightened flywheels and lightened drive pulleys, along with adding a few revs at tickover.

Or you could go all-electric like the Prius, and just momentarily turn-off the alternator and water pump ... the fan and power steering are already electric. Think water injection or nitrous oxide on your Spitfire (Rolls Royce Supermarine, not Triumph :--)

When WILL we get a turbo 2.5 litre MazdaSpeed CX-3 ... with Recaro seats?
Cyclone1410 likes this.

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.

Last edited by mainemanx; 12-02-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post
Miscellaneous Ramblings: I would think the rotating mass of the drive pulley would have been included in the calculation of the appropriate-sized flywheel ... of course you can also get lightened flywheels, at least for your manual gearbox folks.

In yet another reference to the good ol' days, for very short runs you simply removed the fan/generator belt on your Volkswagen Beetle ... the rich boys had lightened flywheels and lightened drive pulleys, along with adding a few revs at tickover.

Or you could go all-electric like the Prius, and just momentarily turn-off the alternator and water pump ... the fan and power steering are already electric. Think water injection or nitrous oxide on your Spitfire (Rolls Royce Supermarine, not Triumph :--)

When WILL we get a turbo 2.5 litre MazdaSpeed CX-3 ... with Recaro seats?
Not really trying to bring the CX-3 to the track (that's what the other ride is for ) but I will say a turbo option would produce way more smiles per gallon for the daily commute.

It's probably not worth it to get a pulley for our automatics based on what you mentioned about flywheel pairings. I had lighter pulleys and a lighter flywheel in my previous car and I loved how it felt compared to stock.
mainemanx likes this.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if there is a manual like a repair manual, or workshop manual to do some maintenance by myself.
I have very good people for this https://www.steeringlpsr.com/ but i just wana know it is possible?

Regards.

Heya. I'm from Detroit. In 2013 my football team won the FIFA U-20 World Cup. I am a sport professional. I currently teach at New York University. I invite you to the website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to check how cool is it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode