• 1 Post By rudolf-99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Security

Has anyone seen the issues with smart entry technology that have been appearing in the press recently, where thieves use a device to amplify the signal from your key stored in your house to relay the signal to the car to open it? Or they use the same device to "read" your key as you walk away from parking the vehicle and someone opens it as soon as you're out of sight.

Anyone had a car or contents stolen this way?

See details in this report:-
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a3657951.html

The only remedy I can see to guard against this is to place your key when not in use in a RFID protection pouch to ensure the signal is blocked. This works well, if you wrap the key in kitchen foil the car won't open even with the key right next to the door.
anchorman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
The real solution is for security to trump convenience, and have us go back to opening our car doors by inserting the damn key into it. But of course, none of us would accept that, including myself. It is far easier and more convenient now that we don't want to go back to the old ways of doing these things.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi rudolf-99. Once I purchased my CX-3 with the FOB I had the same concerns and spent many hours educating myself on defending my precious CX-3. Firstly on all of my cars I install a hidden switch which cuts the power to the starter solenoid. It was very simple with the CX-3 because they have a female plug on the solenoid so just ran 2 wires through the firewall at the main wiring harness grommet and using female and male plugs to bypass the circuit. In the glove box I installed a flat toggle switch which is virtually invisible. This ensures that even if they get into the car it is impossible for them to start it. Also I never keep anything visible or valuable in the car so if they get in there is nothing for them. As for them boosting my signal outside the house I bought a little box which holds my 2 FOB's and lined it with 2 layers of metal tape used for sealing ducting or metal chimneys. I keep the box in the kitchen which is the furthest point from the driveway. Two weeks after I purchased my CX-3 and I had taken all the measures to protect my investment a neighbors Mazda 3's alarm went off twice within a half hour so I suspect they were trying to use the booster but was picking up his FOB signal. Haven't had any other incidences. Hopefully these little mods might help relieve your worries. Good luck. Happy motoring.

2016 CX-3 GX Sport Auto AWD Meteor Grey
2011 Honda Fit DXA White
Canada

post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
The real solution is for security to trump convenience, and have us go back to opening our car doors by inserting the damn key into it. But of course, none of us would accept that, including myself. It is far easier and more convenient now that we don't want to go back to the old ways of doing these things.
Indeed... could you imagine the uproar if we had to use a key? Just inserting the key is strenuous enough, but having to turn the key as well is simply too much physical effort for most people. Mazda would likely face class-action law suits filed by customers who developed carpal tunnel syndrome from the excessive wear and tear on hands and wrists.

In all seriousness, it would seem that car makers often add technology because they CAN and not because they SHOULD. Technology for the sake of technology. I have a connection to the auto repair industry and have seen all sorts of hi-tech "features" that are actually more of a detriment to the customer than the old-school ways. Unfortunately the average consumer seems to be under the impression that "hi-tech" = "good" because they fail to grasp the repercussions, so auto makers will likely keep on cramming more tech into vehicles in the never-ending race to appear more "advanced" than the competition.

Don't get me wrong, I think technology can be a great thing when it actually makes sense, but it can also be a detriment if it is used unwisely or used without any real purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CURRENT MAZDAS2016 CX-3 GT - Soul Red / Pure White - 6 speed automatic • 1990 Miata - Mariner Blue - 5 speed manual - collector plates • 2003 B-4000 - 5 speed manual
PREVIOUS MAZDAS2003 Protegé5 Special Edition - 5 speed manual • 1991 Miata - Classic Red - 5 speed manual • 1986 B-2000 - 5 speed manual • 1985 626 - 5 speed manual • 1970 1000 - 2 speed automatic - my 1st car!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog8fly View Post
Hi rudolf-99. Once I purchased my CX-3 with the FOB I had the same concerns and spent many hours educating myself on defending my precious CX-3. Firstly on all of my cars I install a hidden switch which cuts the power to the starter solenoid. It was very simple with the CX-3 because they have a female plug on the solenoid so just ran 2 wires through the firewall at the main wiring harness grommet and using female and male plugs to bypass the circuit. In the glove box I installed a flat toggle switch which is virtually invisible. This ensures that even if they get into the car it is impossible for them to start it. Also I never keep anything visible or valuable in the car so if they get in there is nothing for them. As for them boosting my signal outside the house I bought a little box which holds my 2 FOB's and lined it with 2 layers of metal tape used for sealing ducting or metal chimneys. I keep the box in the kitchen which is the furthest point from the driveway. Two weeks after I purchased my CX-3 and I had taken all the measures to protect my investment a neighbors Mazda 3's alarm went off twice within a half hour so I suspect they were trying to use the booster but was picking up his FOB signal. Haven't had any other incidences. Hopefully these little mods might help relieve your worries. Good luck. Happy motoring.
The additional switch is a very clever idea, user designed additional security! I might try that.

For immediate piece of mind I have invested in a couple of RFID shielded pouches, which are specifically designed for smart keys. They have two pockets, one is shielded the other is not, so you clip your key fob on the ring sewn into it, move the fob to the unshielded pocket to unlock and use the car, then move it to the shielded pocket when you've finished driving. It won't allow the doors to open even when hard up against the window when the fob is in the shielded pocket, so job done.

These can be obtained on eBay here:- RFID radiation protection bag for keyless keys car key signal blocker | eBay

Or if you'd like a larger RFID shielded pouch here:- THEMIS Security Radiation Protection Case Keyless Entry GO Auto Cars Case brown | eBay

Note these come from Germany, so check shipping and duty if you're outside Europe.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode