1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Interior LED's dimly lit when car is off

Hey folks,

I recently replaced the dome lights in my '17 CX-3 with LED's. They work great. However, when the car is completely off (and on, not in use), the LED's are dimly lit. So dim, that you almost have to strain to see through the clear plastic lens covering the actual bulb.

I've done a bit of research, and the consensus is to not worry. Since LED's use such little power, even the tiniest trickle of power to the bulb is enough to illuminate them. It sounds like this same trickle is there for the incandescent bulbs, but it is unnoticeable because it takes so much more energy to fire up the filament inside to a point where you notice any light. While what other car forums have said is almost enough to calm my nerves about going out to my car in the morning to a dead battery, I want to hear from you guys. Have any of you experienced this? Anybody walk out to a dead battery?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
I've replaced the interior lights on my last several cars and have never noticed any light omitting from any of them when off. It may be the type of LED bulb you've used. My vehicles sometimes sit for a month at a time without being used, never had battery issues. All modern vehicles have some power draw when off, i'd not worry about it.
joeyd71 likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd71 View Post
Hey folks,

I recently replaced the dome lights in my '17 CX-3 with LED's. They work great. However, when the car is completely off (and on, not in use), the LED's are dimly lit. So dim, that you almost have to strain to see through the clear plastic lens covering the actual bulb.

I've done a bit of research, and the consensus is to not worry. Since LED's use such little power, even the tiniest trickle of power to the bulb is enough to illuminate them. It sounds like this same trickle is there for the incandescent bulbs, but it is unnoticeable because it takes so much more energy to fire up the filament inside to a point where you notice any light. While what other car forums have said is almost enough to calm my nerves about going out to my car in the morning to a dead battery, I want to hear from you guys. Have any of you experienced this? Anybody walk out to a dead battery?

Thanks!
I experinced the same in my previous car.

Did You buy the official Mazda LED-interior kit or did You buy them elsewhere?

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-08-2017, 05:23 PM
JPA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I've noticed the same thing. But it think they go off when ignition is switched off (or at the latest in 30 minutes when everything automatically powers off).
Haven't had any problems starting the engine after being parked outside 4 to 5 days in -15 C.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD
post #5 of 11 Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
I experinced the same in my previous car.

Did You buy the official Mazda LED-interior kit or did You buy them elsewhere?
I did not buy the official kit. In fact, I didn't know that there was one available...
post #6 of 11 Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA View Post
I've noticed the same thing. But it think they go off when ignition is switched off (or at the latest in 30 minutes when everything automatically powers off).
Haven't had any problems starting the engine after being parked outside 4 to 5 days in -15 C.
Well that makes me feel better. I thought that maybe they might go off after a little while. I set the "interior lights auto off" feature to 10 minutes and waited to see if they would go out, but they didn't. I'll have to look closer at the book to see if there is something else I am missing with the whole time out feature.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyd71 View Post
I did not buy the official kit. In fact, I didn't know that there was one available...
Where are You located?
Here in Europe we can order a Mazda interior LED kit which incl. 4 LEDs, 3 for the cabin and 1 for the boot (I think).

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets

post #8 of 11 Old 05-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Same thing is happening to me but only on the front DOM passenger LED light. I just came back from Japan after leaving the car parked for 2 weeks and no problems starting up or symptoms of a drained battery.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 10:26 AM
bjn

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I have fitted the "original" Mazda LED bulbs in the cabin and have not observed any errors?

Mazda CX-3 150 AWD Automatic Optimum 2016 -
Honda Civic Sport 1.8 Automatic 2012 -
post #10 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn View Post
I have fitted the "original" Mazda LED bulbs in the cabin and have not observed any errors?
It looks like that LED kit is not available in the US- which is where I am at. There is an LED kit available, but I believe it only illuminates the foot wells.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode