• 1 Post By Geezer
  • 1 Post By skyking
  • 3 Post By NotAPreppie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cool Ecu remapping - chiptuning CX3 2.0 G-150 any experience?

Hi, does anyone have any experience with chip-tuning or ecu remapping to gain more horsepower out of the 2.0 G150. I have read some on the net and they say the motor can be remapped to 165 - 180 bhp? Which would be great.
Any remarks - advice welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Rhino

No feast without Rhino the Beast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RhinoTheBeast666; 02-05-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
IMO the only way to get that much of a boost in HP besides a complete engine rebuild would be putting a turbo on it and there is probably no room for it.
Beware of engine modifications some are useless and may void your warranty.If you want more HP in a vehicle I would get a Subaru WRX.
RhinoTheBeast666 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
As well as negating your warranty, it could cause serious damage to the bearings and other components that are not built for those kind of stresses.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoTheBeast666 View Post
Hi, does anyone have any experience with chip-tuning or ecu remapping to gain more horsepower out of the 2.0 G150. I have read some on the net and they say the motor can be remapped to 165 - 180 bhp? Which would be great.
Any remarks - advice welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Rhino
I read something like that also; maybe it was on another Mazda/Mazda3 forum, not sure. Interesting concept, but probably not a good idea to follow thru however, but that's just my opinion. Reminds me of a story I read about 9-10 years ago regarding Ford Mustang owners doing similar things to their cars and the resulting engine issues and warranty claims. Also, here in CT, once a vehicle is 4 years old, it has to go thru emissions every 2 years. Not sure how such mods would affect that, though I guess the old chip could theoretically be swapped back in. Nah, for me, my CX-3 is fine as it is. If I really had to have more straight-ahead thrust, I would have bought a Juke, even though Nissan's generally are, IMO, not as reliable as a Mazda.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
BBR GTI offer various stages of tune/upgrade to get the Mazda 3 SkyActiv 2.0 up to 185 and (with the help of intake, header, exhaust, cams, etc) claim up to 200 HP for the NC Miata with the SkyActiv2.0.

Here's the thing about internal combustion engines: it's all about efficiency (and not necessarily fuel). It's about extracting the most amount of energy from a given quantity of fuel. You can tune that to use only a little fuel to make modest power or you can tune it to use more fuel to make more power. In American car culture, we often (though not always and less since oil prices spike a while back) buy horsepower so manufacturers have been taking their efficiency gains and turning the engines to make more power. More recently, as consumers have been freaking out about $4-$5 gallons of gasoline (and as CAFE standards have risen), manufacturers have been focusing improving fuel economy so we're seeing low/mid level consumer cars stagnate in the 100-200 HP range while fuel economy has rise.

The SkyActiv engines are heavily tuned for fuel economy but, at their hearts, they are high compression ratio engines (which usually means lots of power). With compression ratios that high, I could see making significant HP gains at the expense of fuel economy with a carefully written tune (changing spark/injector timing and dwell, valve timing, throttle response, redline etc). If you wanted to go crazy, a different cam shaft can help the engine breath better and lighter valves/crank/pistons would let you increase the redline for even more power.

Honda can get ~200 HP out of 2L at 11:1 compression ratio. Granted, that engine spins to 8k RPM but I'm sure there are some gains to be had with DI and the rest of Mazda's SkyActiv improvements.

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I've had my SkyActiv 120hp engine remapped to add 11bhp and 21Nm.

Even though the increases aren't much (10%) the engine seems alot more refined, more tractable at lower revs and the auto gearbox seems to work alot better with the increased torque. The appears to be no adverse affect on the mpg, possibly giving a slight improvement.

Evolution Chips. Europes Premier ECU Recalibrating Company.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode