Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Anyone have any issues filling up their gas tank?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  greaseman85 
#1 ·
I've had my vehicle three and a half months now and normally when I fill up the tank...the mileage reads 306 DTE (distance to empty). But today it would not go beyond 288 miles. I noticed the problem about two weeks ago. Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 ·
My car shows about the same. The computer changes your distance to empty based on your driving. That number will fluctuate whether or not your driving "eco" or sporty. I tried it out by driving "eco" for 2 weeks which averaged 311 range (drove me insane to drive that way) with an average 32mpg-ish. Driving sporty for two weeks after changed that to between 256-288 range with an average 28 mpg-ish.

#4 ·
I think the computer bases its estimate on how you have driven the car at the last tank full?, it is the pattern we can see from our Honda anyway.
This means that in each case it can vary what the estimate is for your future consumption by showing how far "it believe" you can run before refueling again ... I think...maybe!

#5 ·
Mine does this as well. I think it's just being optimistic and using the EPA highway rating for the initial estimate.

#6 ·
It is about how you drive your car and I believe estimates a new full tank distance to empty based on your previous MPG calculation. So make sure you reset all the counters every time you fill up to get more accurate readings. I don't know if this is how they actually do it but this is what I've noticed. As for example if I got a low average MPG on the previous tank, when I fill up the DTE shows like 270 miles, but if I got a much higher average MPG then the new DTE shows something like 300 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.