Checking trans fluid - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Checking trans fluid

Any of you ever checked the level of your tranny fluid? I know there is a dipstick held down by a bolt that you have to unbolt to remove the stick to check the level.

What I want to know is the procedure to properly check it. I'm familiar with older American cars where you drive the car a while to get it up to temp, park the car on level ground with trans in park then check the level.

Is it the same procedure for this car or is there a different one?

Very surprised that the OM say nothing about this at all.

Tony

T. Chan
17 CX-3 GS AWD
10 Suzuki SX4 6sp AWD
09 Z06
13 GT500

Last edited by Cman; 12-30-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I guess they consider this a workshop issue but the procedure is very similar in that you check it at working temperature;

(BTW, most of the service procedures are pinned in our tech “Info and Tips” section)

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/engine...s-section.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ATF adjust.pdf (92.4 KB, 390 views)

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
Old 12-30-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks anchonman, I did check the tech post and saw the gear oil check pdf but since it didn't say tranny oil check I didn't click on it to find out that it was indeed for checking trans fluid level. Please add the pdf link in this thread to the tech info post.

The one you posted in my thread looks similiar to the one in the tech post but slightly different. I'm sure either one will work to properly check fluid level.

One thing though, the pdf's say to warm up the car till the trans fluid temp is 50'C or so but doesn't say if you leave the car running when checking the level or shut the car off and check. Like I said earlier most american cars you check with the car running and trans in park on level ground, I know some Hondas you check with fluid at temperature but the car is off.

I wonder which way Mazda specifies it should be done.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
Thanks anchonman, I did check the tech post and saw the gear oil check pdf but since it didn't say tranny oil check I didn't click on it to find out that it was indeed for checking trans fluid level. Please add the pdf link in this thread to the tech info post.

The one you posted in my thread looks similiar to the one in the tech post but slightly different. I'm sure either one will work to properly check fluid level.

One thing though, the pdf's say to warm up the car till the trans fluid temp is 50'C or so but doesn't say if you leave the car running when checking the level or shut the car off and check. Like I said earlier most american cars you check with the car running and trans in park on level ground, I know some Hondas you check with fluid at temperature but the car is off.

I wonder which way Mazda specifies it should be done.
In the PDF above, it says leave the engine idling.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to trust that the factory has filled the trans fluid to the proper level so I'll wait till spring time to check it, but what I did do the other day was remove the bolt that holds the stick in and put some anti-seize on the thread before screwing it back. Don't want any corrosion to get in there and not allow that bolt to be remove with time exposed to the elements.

I highly suggest that most of you do that also if you are into self-maintenance of your rides and when you install that bolt back just snug it down and don't over tighten.

Another thing I will do come spring is to remove the spark plugs and put anti-seize on the threads too so they will come out when they need to be replaced.