3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Mazda CX-3 AWD

AWD question: Does anybody know if there is any indication on the dash board when the car engages the AWD system? I don't see any reference to it in the manual.

Thanks,

J (Charlotte, NC, USA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring Soul Red Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
No I don't believe there is. That might become quite annoying if something lit up every time it engages the AWD system for a moment.

There should only be an indicator if the AWD system fails if I'm not mistaken.
anchorman likes this.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #3 of 13 Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
There is not. As said by greaseman85, a light would be annoying. These intelligent AWD systems are often going back and fourth between AWD and FWD.
anchorman likes this.

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-27-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK Thanks! I looked at the BMW X1 and the Subaru Crosstrek when I bought my CX-3 and I remember the Subaru had an indicator that the rear wheels had engaged but I don't think the X1 did.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moofpup View Post
OK Thanks! I looked at the BMW X1 and the Subaru Crosstrek when I bought my CX-3 and I remember the Subaru had an indicator that the rear wheels had engaged but I don't think the X1 did.
The Subaru must have had an agricultural diff lock to have an "on/off" light. The CX-3 couldn't because it has a completely variable AWD. It would have to have a fader!

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"
post #6 of 13 Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
The Subaru's (all) have full time AWD. The only time mine ever lit up was when I had to pull the fuse that disabled the AWD system when I had to drive with the dinky little spare wheel after a blowout. Driving with AWD with the spare could do serious damage. The only way to handle it is to make sure the spare is on one of the rear wheels and that the FWD light is lit up after the fuse is pulled.

He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

2016 Mazda CX3 GT Tech pkg. Soul Red.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-28-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I had an Acura MDX with the SH-AWD indicator available in the center message area between the speedometer and tachometer. The first week I had the car, I had it on all the time, and then I got tired of it, and just switched it off to a blank screen for the balance of the seven years I owned it.

'Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Vince Lombardi (1913-1970)

2019 CX-5 Signature Sonic Silver

2017 CX-3 Titanium Mica on Black GT AWD w/i-Activsense (Retired)
post #8 of 13 Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if they changed it in the last 10-ish years but automagic Subarus were equipped with an electro-mechanical (electro-hydraulic?) clutch pack between the front and rear axles. Manual transmission Subies got viscous limited slip system in the middle. Except for the STi and Spec.B models... I don't know what they got but I'm guessing it's more advanced than a VLSD. I doubt a VLSD would have an activation light but a clutch-type system could.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmet...ll_Wheel_Drive

My '09 Infiniti G37x had an AWD light that would turn on when I'd lift a tire going up the parking garage ramp at my local grocery store (tight right-hander with a 10-20° grade). I never looked at the dash very often when hooning around in the snow. Actually, that was a really fun AWD system: it was RWD until slippage but the harder you cornered, the LESS power is sent to the front. Lots of RWD, tail-out character.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA#ATTESA_E-TS

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My wife's Pathfinder has an option to display the drive percentage split between the front and rear. Similar to skyking, I used it a few times when I was driving it, but I soon lost interest in it.

a car is just a car, unless you are truly a driver
post #10 of 13 Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
The Subaru's (all) have full time AWD. The only time mine ever lit up was when I had to pull the fuse that disabled the AWD system when I had to drive with the dinky little spare wheel after a blowout. Driving with AWD with the spare could do serious damage. The only way to handle it is to make sure the spare is on one of the rear wheels and that the FWD light is lit up after the fuse is pulled.
It's possible the salesman was blowing smoke but he made a point of saying ...see here in the center LCD display that the rear wheels are engaging. They turned green I think.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode