User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-31-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Duplicating a GPS Card?

Some people have said they made duplicates of their GPS card, and set the original away for safekeeping.

I backed mine up to the tool box and put a blank card in. It doesn't do anything in response to the blank card, so I am unable to make a copy. Am I doing something wrong? I am not sure what the advantage is of backing it up if you can't access the backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
My understanding was that the backup can only be put back on the original card, in case the data gets corrupted and you need to restore it. But if others have said they've been able to restore it to a different card, then I would like to know how it is done too.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #3 of 12 Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I backed mine up to the tool box and put a blank card in. It doesn't do anything in response to the blank card...
No, because it's not expecting the card to be blank, but continue with the restore process anyway.

Quote:
...I am not sure what the advantage is of backing it up if you can't access the backup.
The backups are stored on your PC and the advantage is that you can use your last backup to recover from a situation where your SD card data has become corrupted. As long as you have an SD card in the PC, you access backups by clicking backup and then the restore option in Toolbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
My understanding was that the backup can only be put back on the original card, in case the data gets corrupted and you need to restore it. But if others have said they've been able to restore it to a different card, then I would like to know how it is done too.
a) Have travelled at least 63 miles (100km) with original Mazda SD Card installed, this ties the card to your car.
b) Switch off car, remove original card, insert original card into PC, download & install Mazda Toolbox.
c) Use backup option in Mazda Toolbox to backup card to PC.

Here's how I copied the original card to a larger capacity one a few months ago:-

1) Insert a blank SD Card (8GB or larger) into your PC.

2) Start Mazda Toolbox software, you do not need to be logged in to do the restore. The program will not recognise that a device / SD Card is connected if the card you're using is empty, just ignore that and click on the Backup button regardless.

3) Click a backup name from the list of available backups on your computer and click the corresponding Restore button.

4) You will get a pop-up message about not being able to recognise your device or card and that you can only restore to an original device or card. Just ignore that and click the Next button.

5) From the list presented, click the drive letter that corresponds to your SD Card and click the Next button.

6) The restore process begins. In my case it took just under 10 minutes to copy the files to the new SD Card.

7) When you get the message that says all of your files have restored successfully, click the Finish button.

8) Remove card from PC.

9) With the car switched off, insert the original or copied card into the SD Card slot in the car.

09/15 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Regarding the destination for the backups, I always understood it to be on the user's PC and the first backup I did confirmed that. However, the recent - in the last 2 months - upgraded version 4.2.0 of Mazda Toolbox seems to back it up to their servers. I carried out a further backup and it said it had been done, but I couldn't find evidence of the file(s) on my PC. I notice the Toolbox Help FAQ says in response to the question "Where is the saved (backup) data stored?" the answer given is "The backup will be stored on the Naviextras servers".

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Hi st3v3cx-3, I've just upgraded to version 4.2.0 of Mazda Toolbox and you're right, it looks like they've made some changes to the process

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtonline View Post

1) Insert a blank SD Card (8GB or larger) into your PC.

2) Start Mazda Toolbox software, you do not need to be logged in to do the restore. The program will not recognise that a device / SD Card is connected if the card you're using is empty, just ignore that and click on the Backup button regardless.

I don't get a backup button, just the attached, telling me to insert my SD card. When I do, nothing changes.
Am I doing something wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1226
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	11066  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-10-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I don't get a backup button, just the attached, telling me to insert my SD card. When I do, nothing changes.
Am I doing something wrong?
Hi Toller, my instructions worked on the previous version of Mazda Toolbox. When I posted my original reply I hadn't realised that the Toolbox application has been updated (to version 4.2.0).

The backup map data is no longer stored on the user's computer and the application may no longer do anything if you insert a completely blank card (I haven't got one available to try).

I assume the idea of the restore option is that it's there to restore the map data if it gets corrupted, say from an interrupted update, providing the other files on the card, which identify it as valid, are still in tact.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2016, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Probably changed to stop the Pirates
greaseman85 likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

The Journey is Done!

3 months ago I bought a GPS card on ebay. It worked, but when I tried to back it up (on my wife's computer) it went bad. I returned it for a refund.

Last month I bought a new card. I backed it up on my (brand new) computer and all was well, but of course the new software won't make copies.
But... my wife's computer still had the old software. So I tried to use that, but it told me that new software was available and the old software won't work. I disconnected the internet and tried again. It told me the software was unavailable, but when I pressed on it worked. I backed up my card and restored it to a new blank card.

The new card sorta worked in the car, but there were no maps.
But I stuck it in my computer (with the new software) it recognized it as a valid card and it was willing to do an update to it.
I put the new updated card in my car and it works!

So now I have a new updated copy in my car, and the original card in a drawer.

It was a long (and hopefully pointless) journey, but I am done. And if something weird happens to the card in the car, won't I be the clever one?!
jtonline likes this.

Last edited by Toller; 08-11-2016 at 05:49 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-11-2016, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Well the card should be covered by Mazda's warranty that covers electrical/infotainment components of the car. So even if something happens to the original while under warranty, they should replace it for you.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode