User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Anyone get "Backup Error On USBC'.*" on their GPS card

I bought a GPS card. It worked fine, but when I tried to make a copy, it gave this error message. The card then was just dead.
The dealer said that I shouldn't have tried to copy it before going 80 miles, and the card had locked itself. He gave me a refund.
I bought a new card (for $18 less than the first one...$158.) It also works fine, though I am scared to get it near my computer.

Does the dealer's explanation make any sense?
I don't know if my SD reader is a SDHC reader or not. (in fact I don't even know if there is a difference between the two.) I would think that if the reader was inadequate, it just wouldn't work rather than damaging the card, but what do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure I understand why/how you were trying to make a copy. Perhaps they've put some anti-piracy thing in there to prevent unauthorized copying of the files.

If you need to make a backup or something, use the Mazda Toolbox.

The SDHC standard has been around since 2006, so unless your card reader is that old I can't see it being the problem.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT in Deep Crystal Blue on Parchment
post #3 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Okay, let me tackle this in a few parts so hopefully it is not too confusing.

1) The dealer is right. You need to drive 80 miles with the SD card inserted before it will lock to the car. If you try to do anything to the card before this point the card will become corrupted and no longer work. This is a DRM (digital Rights management) technique to prevent you from buying one card, making copies and then using/selling them.
2) you should not need to manually manage anything on the card at all, plug it into your computer, run the Nav Toolbox from Mazda and it will do the rest (including backups).
3) SD v SDHC. I have a huge amount of experience in this department. In short, an SDHC card will not register in a normal SD card reader, only in an SDHC card reader. That being said, if you computer is somewhat newer (did it come with Windows Vista or later?) then it likely has an SDHC card reader in it. The difference, if you were curious, is in the maximum storage size. A normal SD card maxes out at 2GB, whereas an SDHC maxes out at 32GB.
greaseman85 and howiele like this.

CX-3 GT AWD Dynamic Blue Mica

post #4 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Why should it kill the card if people make a simple mistake and try to back it up to early?Wouldnt it just not back up and give you a message that you have tried to back it up too early?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 07:51 PM

Garage
I believe if someone knows what they're doing and have malicious intent, they can bypass a warning. It's probably more difficult if not downright impossible to bypass the card getting corrupted though.

Also, nothing bad should happen if you use the Mazda Toolbox. Of course with that tool you don't get the option to copy the contents of the SD card to another or make local backups, the backup instead is stored on their servers.

At any rate, if you do accidentally corrupt the card like Toller did, your dealer should give you a new one.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseman85 View Post
I believe if someone knows what they're doing and have malicious intent, they can bypass a warning. It's probably more difficult if not downright impossible to bypass the card getting corrupted though.

Also, nothing bad should happen if you use the Mazda Toolbox. Of course with that tool you don't get the option to copy the contents of the SD card to another or make local backups, the backup instead is stored on their servers.

At any rate, if you do accidentally corrupt the card like Toller did, your dealer should give you a new one.
Exactly this. It is not hard to get by a warning, as an IT professional in the security space I can tell you that warnings are essentially just there for legal reasons and don't stop anything. Not to say that there are not copied Nav cards out there (a quick eBay search proves that), but by making it much more difficult Mazda is protecting their intellectual property from theft. Saying that there should just be a warning is akin to saying you should put a strongly worded note on your car that people should not steal it and leave the doors unlocked.
You also honestly should not need a backup of your Nav data, at least not locally. The card and data all technically belong to Mazda (or rather Navteq) and so it is up to them to manage it. Since they have provided this fantastically easy way of updating the Navigation on these vehicles in the first place I am not one to complain.
My mothers Kia requires a $200 firmware update at the dealer to update the maps. There is no other way. So the fact that our updates are free, semiannual, and do-it-yourself I think is a great trade off for not being able to manage the card manually.
DJ9999 and greaseman85 like this.

CX-3 GT AWD Dynamic Blue Mica
post #7 of 14 Old 07-05-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WxFisch View Post
In short, an SDHC card will not register in a normal SD card reader, only in an SDHC card reader.
I have a 4gb SDHC that seems to work properly in my card reader, so it HAS to be a SDHC reader?

BTW what size card do I need to make a copy using Mazda Toolbox?
Some people say they have made a copy of the card, and then put the original away for safekeeping. From some of the posts on this thread, it seems like that is not possible?

Last edited by Toller; 07-05-2016 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2016, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I am kinda confused on this.I bought the card before I inserted into the cx3 tried to update thru Mazda tools.
It wouldn't do anything with Mazda toolbox it was not recognized.I took the card out of the computer put it in the cx3 and drove around the block came home popped the card out of the cx3 put it back in the computer and it was recognized thru Mazda toolbox and was updated with backup files.
The card did not become corrupt when I did this.
Did you use Mazda toolbox Toller when you tried to make a backup?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playthru1 View Post
I am kinda confused on this.I bought the card before I inserted into the cx3 tried to update thru Mazda tools.
It wouldn't do anything with Mazda toolbox it was not recognized.I took the card out of the computer put it in the cx3 and drove around the block came home popped the card out of the cx3 put it back in the computer and it was recognized thru Mazda toolbox and was updated with backup files.
The card did not become corrupt when I did this.
Did you use Mazda toolbox Toller when you tried to make a backup?
Yes, I used Mazda Toolbox. It didn't say anything about putting 80 miles on first. It said I had free updated for a bit more than 3 years and warned me to make a copy before updating.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Garage
You don't need any SD cards to make a copy, the Mazda Toolbox copies the data to their own servers, they don't let you store the data locally.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode