1Likes
  • 1 Post By Helenscx3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bose subwoofer wiring in non Bose setup?

I have a non Bose 6 speaker cx3 and was looking to add an aftermarket sub, but I can't seem to find any information on where I can tap into the signal wire for the sub. I know some of the wires should be ran no mater what audio system is installed, but need help on location of signal and possibly power wires.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 PM
JPA

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
An active subwoofer with built-in amplifier or separate amp+sub?

For audio signal it might be easiest to choose an amp with high level input. You need to tap in to both positive and negative speaker wires of left and right channel.

Power wire should be run directly from the battery using suitable (depends on current draw) gauge wire and fuse.

CX-3 2.0 SKYACTIVE-G Premium Plus 6MT AWD
post #3 of 8 Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey Stickwiddit,
Did you end up doing your sound system? I'll be doing mine soon but I will be taking a different route where everything I do will not be harmful to any wires or electrical components. But a soldering gun will be required. When I save up money for my system I'll post a DIY in your post as a response.

-Ive done this to my 2016 honda fit which I did not want to void any warranty or have any trace of any wiring splicing or cutting.

Thanks!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ikeda View Post
Hey Stickwiddit,
Did you end up doing your sound system? I'll be doing mine soon but I will be taking a different route where everything I do will not be harmful to any wires or electrical components. But a soldering gun will be required. When I save up money for my system I'll post a DIY in your post as a response.

-Ive done this to my 2016 honda fit which I did not want to void any warranty or have any trace of any wiring splicing or cutting.

Thanks!
Welcome Andrew.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

ď.........and another thing"
post #5 of 8 Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys, just doing the same thing with an aftermarket underseat subwoofer.
Have you found an easy route for the power cable to run through the firewall to the battery? I can find any holes to feed the wire through. Cheers
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Amp Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenscx3 View Post
Hi guys, just doing the same thing with an aftermarket underseat subwoofer.
Have you found an easy route for the power cable to run through the firewall to the battery? I can find any holes to feed the wire through. Cheers
Cable, this is probably the hardest of the whole install.

I read elsewhere that in a CX5, one had to remove the Battery completely, then when it is removed you can see a large black rubber grommet which has a rather large amount of wiring going through it.
I very gently pushed on this gromet, and felt there was no resistance as such and very gently made a series of very small holes in it, then a friend who is an electrician had this piece of plastic stuff (that they pass wiring into wall cavities with), that I managed to push through after a few attempts because the Heater Blower is really in the way.

Its a bit of a jiggle but can be done, if there was a simple way to remove the Heater Blower, that would have been easier, but in the end it all worked out real well, I then just ran the Power Lead down that side of the Car, and plugged in my Pac Unit previously mentioned in another Post, I then ran RCA Cables from that to my Active Sub.

As said this can be achieved but it does pay to take your time to do it.

I do not say that this is the correct way to do this, this is MY Opinion and what I DID on my Car, I DID NOT have to Cut any Wiring, it does work, and should be only used as a guide if your wanting to do an install on your car.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Amp Power cable to Battery - Post:
I managed to find a hole behind the plastic cover on the right hand side drivers... next to the accelerator. I ran it up inside the plastic wheel arch which was easy as there is plenty of room. I then pulled the wipers off and the plastic cover beneath them, and ran it along the windscreen and to the battery. Only time will tell if the hot Australian weather, will cause deterioration of the cable. I doubt it as it's covered.... but it will be easy to fix in the future should it happen.

Also, I have offered a Pac aftermarket amp adaptor (which has been mention before) after wiring my underseat sub using the hi frequency line out to the rear speaker wires. The rear speakers have always sounded softer than the fronts, not sure if this had hindered the sub from working or if it's just because of there location down low in the rear doors. Will update the sound after the sub is connected to the pre out on the Pac adaptor.
sippffo likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Well Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenscx3 View Post
Amp Power cable to Battery - Post:
I managed to find a hole behind the plastic cover on the right hand side drivers... next to the accelerator. I ran it up inside the plastic wheel arch which was easy as there is plenty of room. I then pulled the wipers off and the plastic cover beneath them, and ran it along the windscreen and to the battery. Only time will tell if the hot Australian weather, will cause deterioration of the cable. I doubt it as it's covered.... but it will be easy to fix in the future should it happen.

Also, I have offered a Pac aftermarket amp adaptor (which has been mention before) after wiring my underseat sub using the hi frequency line out to the rear speaker wires. The rear speakers have always sounded softer than the fronts, not sure if this had hindered the sub from working or if it's just because of there location down low in the rear doors. Will update the sound after the sub is connected to the pre out on the Pac adaptor.
keep us all posted.

Life Is Too Short, Get Out And Do It, Rock Out And Send It Hard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode