iStop - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iStop

Hi. Can anyone help explain how the autostart workds? My istop always auto-restart after about 10seconds. Normally when I stop at a traffic light, I step harder on my brake so it will initiate the iStop, after that i will pull my handbrake and put the gear into neutral and let go of the brake. However, istop would auto-restart(without reaching even a minute, I've checked that maximum for istop is 2 minutes) even after i did all these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Just come to a full-stop.
Press brake hard (as You already do) and iStop will kick in and kill the engine.
Now just keep Your foot on the brake and the gear in D (assuming You have auto transmission), don't put in neutral and release the brake (although I see the manual states You can do this and it should still work).
When You want to drive off, just release the brake and engine will restart.
It will also restart if battery or a/c is in need of more power, so it may restart even if You haven't released the brake.

I do this and it works perfetctly.

2015 Mazda CX-3 2.0 120HP Optimum Aut. Jet Black -with all the gadgets
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by santa; 03-19-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added information
post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Its interesting to note that the engine is stopped with the pistons in the exact right position to give the fastest start possible when the starter turns. At least one piston is poised on the power stroke.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

“.........and another thing"

post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Its interesting to note that the engine is stopped with the pistons in the exact right position to give the fastest start possible when the starter turns. At least one piston is poised on the power stroke.
And it works brilliantly :-)

As I understand it, it's not actually the starter that restarts the engine (at least not on it's own) but rather the spark in the right cylinder pushing the piston down and thus helping to restart the engine. And at the same time give a faster restart (which is true, I barely have time to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator before the engine has restarted).

post #5 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
And it works brilliantly :-)

As I understand it, it's not actually the starter that restarts the engine (at least not on it's own) but rather the spark in the right cylinder pushing the piston down and thus helping to restart the engine. And at the same time give a faster restart (which is true, I barely have time to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator before the engine has restarted).
Yes, the diesel is lightning fast too.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. ©2018 anchorman

post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
Yes, the diesel is lightning fast too.
It's my first car with start/stop.
I've driven other cars with it (only manuals) and they didn't work as well as this one.
And I like the fact, that You can see what's preventing it from activating in the economy app :-)

post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2016, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Hi. Can anyone help explain how the autostart workds? My istop always auto-restart after about 10seconds. Normally when I stop at a traffic light, I step harder on my brake so it will initiate the iStop, after that i will pull my handbrake and put the gear into neutral and let go of the brake. However, istop would auto-restart(without reaching even a minute, I've checked that maximum for istop is 2 minutes) even after i did all these.
Are you from a warmer or colder climate? It could be the car's climate control causing this.

I've found on hot days i-stop will start the car for 20 or so seconds and then turn off again. If I can't deal without climate control on a hot day I normally turn i-stop off because of this feature.

Mazda CX-3 S-Touring Deep Crystal Blue 6MT
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs88 View Post
Are you from a warmer or colder climate? It could be the car's climate control causing this.

I've found on hot days i-stop will start the car for 20 or so seconds and then turn off again. If I can't deal without climate control on a hot day I normally turn i-stop off because of this feature.
Exactly, the same happens here in cold weather but you can see if the A/C is inhibiting the Istop by looking at the fuel economy App in the App screen. The one with the outline of the car will show READY when the icons all glow blue. I never turn it off - if it works, it works.

Last edited by anchorman; 03-20-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode