Alternate Fog Light - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WebDevDan
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alternate Fog Light

Is there a way I can install an alternate foglight on the Cx3? It would costs C$500 for thestock foglight (labour inclusive) whereas there're bigger, brighter and better fog lights which are only less than half of that. TIA
Angel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Vipre77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI, USA
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Replacing the stock LED foglight bulb or installing a fog light assembly on a car that didn't have them from the factory? You're not likely to find an aftermarket part that will fit in the stock location. Could maybe rig up some rally style lights like the MINI Coopers and Ford Mustangs use on the grille or bumper area (air inlet area for the radiator, I'm thinking), but you'll ideally want them mounted as close to the corners of the car as you can get them for them to be effective fog lights. If it's just an appearance thing, then you can put them wherever.

Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to install the factory fog lights into a car that wasn't originally equipped with them? Not sure if the factory fog light switch is on the turn signal stalk with the other lights or if it's a push-button on the dash. This is the first car I've had in a while that doesn't have fog lights and I kinda miss having them.
Vipre77 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM
Member
 
kingarthas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: EU
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Replacing the stock LED foglight bulb or installing a fog light assembly on a car that didn't have them from the factory? You're not likely to find an aftermarket part that will fit in the stock location. Could maybe rig up some rally style lights like the MINI Coopers and Ford Mustangs use on the grille or bumper area (air inlet area for the radiator, I'm thinking), but you'll ideally want them mounted as close to the corners of the car as you can get them for them to be effective fog lights. If it's just an appearance thing, then you can put them wherever.

Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to install the factory fog lights into a car that wasn't originally equipped with them? Not sure if the factory fog light switch is on the turn signal stalk with the other lights or if it's a push-button on the dash. This is the first car I've had in a while that doesn't have fog lights and I kinda miss having them.
Anyone with experience....

What is the difference, why new stalk included in one ste, do we need it or programming?

I believe there will be stock cables fited till light location.. page 8 of attachment.


US $240 | LED Fog Lights Lamp Kit for Mazda CX-3 cx 3 Without Auto 2016 2017 2018 2019
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Dq6PFXMG

US $121.60 5%OFF | CX-3 fog light,car accessories,LED,cx-3 daytime light,CX3,CX 3,Tribute,RX-7,RX-8,Protege,MX-3,Miata,CX-5,Navajo,CX-3 headlight
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/N1YHRxYy

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d955643...er%20front.pdf

Last edited by kingarthas; Yesterday at 02:00 AM.
kingarthas is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
SlyCoopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
Anyone with experience....

What is the difference, why new stalk included in one ste, do we need it or programming?

I believe there will be stock cables fited till light location.. page 8 of attachment.


US $240 | LED Fog Lights Lamp Kit for Mazda CX-3 cx 3 Without Auto 2016 2017 2018 2019
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Dq6PFXMG

US $121.60 5%OFF | CX-3 fog light,car accessories,LED,cx-3 daytime light,CX3,CX 3,Tribute,RX-7,RX-8,Protege,MX-3,Miata,CX-5,Navajo,CX-3 headlight
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/N1YHRxYy

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d955643...er%20front.pdf

I think this is where people get split into 2 categories, 1 is generic wiring lights to a car and the other is going the full factory oem route.

The factory oem route for those diehard people who want to keep things fully oem are the ones who go the install route of new wiring harnesses and even steering wheel light stalk to have that foglight toggle as if it was directly from the factory. Honestly this route is more trouble than its worth.

The 'popular' method for most people adding lights is to tap into basically any acc power or switchable power source(such as tappinginto the headlights themselves so they turn on and off with the lights). The final question you need to ask is whether this is all worth it for mediocre lighting? If its for looks and just wanting lights I cant see why anyone would go through the entire oem route since taking things apart throughout the way has a higher chance of scratching denting or damaging something in the process.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
SlyCoopers is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Oh! Somewhere I have firsthand experience!!!!!

I installed mine for less than $200 USD DIY, with aftermarket foglights in factory style housings, and a factory switch and relay.

I have auto headlights and paid $50 for part number TK51-66-122A for a new stalk. The stalk is SUPER easy to install and I can provide more details if you'd like.
The relay is part #D09W-67-730 and cost $16.
The lights I got are from a company called "Winjet". They're available on Amazon for about $91. Part # is WJ30-0601C-09. They're the only ones I found that have OEM style connectors on them. They come with an aftermarket generic harness but will still connect to the OEM wiring that is ALREADY INSTALLED!!! The wires are clipped to the inside of the bumper cover.

The install was easy on the driver's side but a bit of a PITA on the passenger side because the bottom of one of the tanks (I think coolant) is right behind where the light goes. If you have a small 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver it'll make your life much easier.

I had everything done in about an hour and they look stock. They definitely light up the sides of the road a little better, and they look bad ass. Will provide pictures shortly. NOTE: There is a down side - they do cause some interference with the FM radio. Haven't figured out a way around that yet but I've got some ferrite beads on order to try.



kingarthas likes this.

Last edited by WebDevDan; Yesterday at 04:16 PM. Reason: added photos
WebDevDan is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
If its for looks and just wanting lights I cant see why anyone would go through the entire oem route since taking things apart throughout the way has a higher chance of scratching denting or damaging something in the process.
Says the guy who gutted his suspension twice

It's almost impossible to screw up this install, fortunately. The top of the steering column pops off with zero effort, the bottom is three screws, and then one screw and a clip to remove the stalk. To pop the fog light placeholder assembly that's in there out is 3 screws per side and it comes out with very little pressure from inside the bumper cover. I rolled up on a few rhino ramps and was able to access everything through the flexible plastic covers at the front corners on the bottom of the bumper. They're basically made to bend out of the way after you remove the clips holding them in place.

Last edited by WebDevDan; Yesterday at 04:27 PM.
WebDevDan is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
SlyCoopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
Says the guy who gutted his suspension twice

It's almost impossible to screw up this install, fortunately. The top of the steering column pops off with zero effort, the bottom is three screws, and then one screw and a clip to remove the stalk. To pop the fog light placeholder assembly that's in there out is 3 screws per side and it comes out with very little pressure from inside the bumper cover. I rolled up on a few rhino ramps and was able to access everything through the flexible plastic covers at the front corners on the bottom of the bumper. They're basically made to bend out of the way after you remove the clips holding them in place.
Only two times? haha what could go wrong.

Wow I figured it would involve wiring new cables to fuse boxes and such. Anything like this on my saturn or old genesis wouldve have involved taken apart the entire dash and running cables around places that we shouldnt humanly fit between lol.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
SlyCoopers is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Member
 
kingarthas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: EU
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
Oh! Somewhere I have firsthand experience!!!!!

I installed mine for less than $200 USD DIY, with aftermarket foglights in factory style housings, and a factory switch and relay.

I have auto headlights and paid $50 for part number TK51-66-122A for a new stalk. The stalk is SUPER easy to install and I can provide more details if you'd like.
The relay is part #D09W-67-730 and cost $16.
The lights I got are from a company called "Winjet". They're available on Amazon for about $91. Part # is WJ30-0601C-09. They're the only ones I found that have OEM style connectors on them. They come with an aftermarket generic harness but will still connect to the OEM wiring that is ALREADY INSTALLED!!! The wires are clipped to the inside of the bumper cover.

The install was easy on the driver's side but a bit of a PITA on the passenger side because the bottom of one of the tanks (I think coolant) is right behind where the light goes. If you have a small 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver it'll make your life much easier.

I had everything done in about an hour and they look stock. They definitely light up the sides of the road a little better, and they look bad ass. Will provide pictures shortly. NOTE: There is a down side - they do cause some interference with the FM radio. Haven't figured out a way around that yet but I've got some ferrite beads on order to try.



Thanks... exactly on my questions...

Wiring exist as per my attachment.
Need stalker, no need programming.

Bad news this is the expensive kit. Thanks for links and prices. In Europe are bit higher...


For the smartass guys... decorative covers has a tendency to break and are hard to find... mine are broken with missing parts...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
kingarthas is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 06:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
Thanks... exactly on my questions...

Wiring exist as per my attachment.
Need stalker, no need programming.

Bad news this is the expensive kit. Thanks for links and prices. In Europe are bit higher...


For the smartass guys... decorative covers has a tendency to break and are hard to find... mine are broken with missing parts...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Where are you? I have the takeoff covers and parts from my 2019, I wonder what it'd cost to ship them to you.
WebDevDan is online now  
Reply




Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome