Any news on Android Auto or Apple Carplay? - Page 7 - Mazda CX3 Forum
User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 90 Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Chicago, IL, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milkyway, Universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
The parts in the US are $200.

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/...-kit-c922v6605

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/...kit-tk78669u0c

2016 CX-3 GT iAS AWD, Soul Red Metallic on black
2017 MX-5 RF Launch Edition
2005 RX-8 Sport Sunlight Silver under Cone Rash (because racecar!) -- SOLD!

Science adjusts it's views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
-Tim Minchin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #63 of 90 Old 09-14-2018, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but what's the advantage of having Android Auto? Would I be able to buy that little SD card and "retrofit" my 2016? I never did get the NAV; I use Waze on my Android device.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!

post #64 of 90 Old 09-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Yu View Post
About $350 U.S.?

2017 CX-3 GT, AWD, i-ActiveSense, Ceramic Metallic, Black ... His: Zoom, Zoom!
2016 HR-V EX-L, AWD, Milano Red, Black ... Hers: Putt, Putt.
post #65 of 90 Old 09-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but what's the advantage of having Android Auto? Would I be able to buy that little SD card and "retrofit" my 2016? I never did get the NAV; I use Waze on my Android device.
By my very limited understanding of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, they essentially will allow various apps to be "duplicated" onto the large CX-3 Infotainment screen rather than the driver having to look at a small phone screen. Waze is part of Android Auto now - it may well also be on Apple CarPlay. See this webpage for some more details of Waze on Android Auto :-

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/26/wa...-android-auto/

Therefore, with Android Auto you won't need a Nav SD card as you'd be able to continue using Waze with your phone merely providing the connection etc.

2016 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol Automatic Arctic White plus options
post #66 of 90 Old 09-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Not every app will work, pretty much its just calling apps, messaging, some video, maps, and music. People mistake it for having a fully functional android tablet type interface which is incorrect. Android auto is also awkwardly strict with what apps work with it and dont, I think this started as a safety thing where people would put up the most distracting things in the world and play with the screen but when they get into accidents they blame it on google.

If you really think about it, most of thiese functions are already done by the car, bluetooth music, calls is more convenient than having to plug in your phone all the time to access it. Messages, video, and gps is going to be subjective to the users preference. I personally dont care much for gps besides occasional road trip or trekking into unknown cities etc, while other people live and breathe waze every time they turn on a car to "avoid traffic". It depends on your needs in what a car can do and if almost $400 is worth the upgrade. Personally with the way mazda is handling it and with the cost it isnt all its hyped up to be. Sure its NEW and EXCITING because its the "future of infotainment technology", but much like buying a smartwatch, the appeal quickly dies and you are left pondering if you couldve spent the money on something else. Also mazda is well aware that its going to make some of its own infotainment features pretty much pointless so they just want to capitalize on it seeing as they probably wont be selling gps chips after its rolled out to new models by default.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car
post #67 of 90 Old 09-15-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post
Not every app will work, pretty much its just calling apps, messaging, some video, maps, and music. People mistake it for having a fully functional android tablet type interface which is incorrect. Android auto is also awkwardly strict with what apps work with it and dont, I think this started as a safety thing where people would put up the most distracting things in the world and play with the screen but when they get into accidents they blame it on google.

If you really think about it, most of thiese functions are already done by the car, bluetooth music, calls is more convenient than having to plug in your phone all the time to access it. Messages, video, and gps is going to be subjective to the users preference. I personally dont care much for gps besides occasional road trip or trekking into unknown cities etc, while other people live and breathe waze every time they turn on a car to "avoid traffic". It depends on your needs in what a car can do and if almost $400 is worth the upgrade. Personally with the way mazda is handling it and with the cost it isnt all its hyped up to be. Sure its NEW and EXCITING because its the "future of infotainment technology", but much like buying a smartwatch, the appeal quickly dies and you are left pondering if you couldve spent the money on something else. Also mazda is well aware that its going to make some of its own infotainment features pretty much pointless so they just want to capitalize on it seeing as they probably wont be selling gps chips after its rolled out to new models by default.
That's good insight. Thank you Sly! Definitely not worth $400 to me.
mainemanx likes this.

2016 GS AWD with Luxury Package in Jet Black Mica

Canadian hiker, photography buff and auto enthusiast!
post #68 of 90 Old 09-16-2018, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCoopers View Post

Good insight. I have a 19 GT with Navi, so what I really get with this upgrade will be an USB module that finally charge properly. And even though Mazda Canada is offering a discount at $250 for 19 CX-3 owner, I still find it really hard to justify spending that money to get a set of working USB.
post #69 of 90 Old 09-17-2018, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc-skywalker View Post
Good insight. I have a 19 GT with Navi, so what I really get with this upgrade will be an USB module that finally charge properly. And even though Mazda Canada is offering a discount at $250 for 19 CX-3 owner, I still find it really hard to justify spending that money to get a set of working USB.
I think your logic is unjustified. I paid 350 to have my 2017 CX-3 retrofitted last month in Finland. The benefits go far above a fast charging USB connector. I can have Siri dictate a text message, or have my text messages read to me. Phone calls can be handled much easier. I enjoy the seamless iPhone apps I can use on my infotainment system. The iTunes music experience is so much better now. Having Car Play is well worth the cost in my user experience.
mainemanx likes this.

Living the American Dream in the Happiest Country in the World, Finland.
post #70 of 90 Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Dowd View Post
I think your logic is unjustified. I paid 350 to have my 2017 CX-3 retrofitted last month in Finland. The benefits go far above a fast charging USB connector. I can have Siri dictate a text message, or have my text messages read to me. Phone calls can be handled much easier. I enjoy the seamless iPhone apps I can use on my infotainment system. The iTunes music experience is so much better now. Having Car Play is well worth the cost in my user experience.
It's not about logic, it's about personal preferences. I definitely see it as a good investment if I do use a lot of the features CarPlay/Auto supported. But I don't use a lot of the features you mention. Map will probably be the one I'm most likely to use but I already have Navi built-in. So to me, the only benefit will be USB ports that charge properly.
SlyCoopers likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode