User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Passenger airbag/seat belt issue?

So I went for a drive by myself yesterday and about 15 minutes into the drive I started noticing a beeping sound. The passenger seat belt light was flashing like the sensors had detected a passenger in the car that was not buckled up. This went on occasionally for about 30 minutes until the light reset back to passenger airbag off.

Has this happened to anyone else by any chance or are my sensors just wacky?
Ironically when I went to the dealer about it, everything was normal so naturally they couldnt do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Does your issue sound like this members issue?

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/genera...-warnings.html

2016 CX3 GT w/ i-Activesense. Black on Parchment and lovin it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Was there anything on the passenger seat?

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"

post #4 of 15 Old 12-18-2015, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
even a small laptop would trigger the passenger seat belt light
anchorman likes this.

2016 Mazda CX3 GT FWD Soul Red Metallic
post #5 of 15 Old 12-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatt3r View Post
even a small laptop would trigger the passenger seat belt light
Yes, the passenger seat sensor seems especially sensitive in this car compared to all my other cars I've had. It's a bit annoying, honestly. It should take more than 2-3 pounds to trigger this sensor. Any real person sitting there is going to weigh at minimum around 30-40 lbs and that's if you ignore the child seat laws and have a kid sitting in the front seat. If I get in a fender-bender that's bad enough to set off the airbags, I don't need the passenger side airbag going off, too, because the car thinks there's a passenger there simply because I had a grocery bag sitting on the seat with only a couple apples or a can of soup in it, or maybe a copy of the Sunday newspaper or something like that.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response, birthday weekend and such. At the time I had a small plastic bottle of water with maybe 8oz fluid in it on the passenger seat. It was strange since it has not happened since. The dealer "reset" the sensor as they put it which involved merely disconnecting the battery and putting it back. I will be keeping an eye on it moving forward. I would be surprised if they were so sensitive now since I have had a backpack full of books and a laptop on it and nothing was sensed which leads me to believe that some of the sensor bands might be "sticking" to give a false positive when a few more are engaged by something light at the right position.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
If you lean across and press down on the seat, it doesn't take a lot of force to trigger the alarm.

Currently CX5 SportNav 2.2 diesel automatic and AWD.
Formerly CX3 SportNav 1.5 diesel automatic and AWD.

All advice is given in good spirit and taken entirely at the readers own risk. WORK SAFELY. 2018 anchorman

.........and another thing"
post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2015, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Mine went off on me tonight when I grabbed some Taco Bell on my way home from work. Two $1 menu burritos and two quesadillas were enough to set it off. WTF.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-08-2016, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My phone was on the seat and it was going off also. There seems to be a problem with the sensor being too sensitive. Hopefully there will be a TSB for this out.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-14-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Coming close into the 3rd year of the car's life (and also near end of warranty ) the passenger seat occupancy sensor decided to go on overdrive with its false readings. Took it in again this morning and the new guy at the dealer gave me this whole story about how the seat sensors work (not sure if hes bsing or just trying to sound smart while treating the customer like they dont know anything).

The story I got is that the seat sensor does not have a weight setting in identifying if a passenger is on or not but a "no weight, small, medium, or heavy weight" reading.. even though it would need some form of measure of effectively make this decision..? Regardless he claims the seat after being scanned read the sensors were constantly reading a small weight when nothing was on and as a result was going to reorder the "cushion" part which I hope involves the sensors as well.

I will update what happens with this issue as usual(unfortunately with my luck) in hopes of aiding others with similar problems. I would suggest that if anyone has a similar issue to get it checked out especially considering 2016s are getting close to end of warranty depending on when you purchased it in the US.

The real irony here is that my other car 2008 saturn sky has a passenger occupancy sensor nationwide recall which was a really significant problem for many others yet my sky has had no issue with it so far.

2016 CX-3 GT AWD - Crystal White Pearl Mica.
My wants-to-grow-up-to-be-a-rally-car car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode